[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just read this...

Fatman

Your assumption is that the parent's are suffering, which they probably are. But what if two parents wanted to have their child kidnapped? There are stories everyday of mothers prostituting their own daughters, so I don't think it's a stretch to think that there are people who would want to get rid of their kids.

Punishing them for being negligent is one way for society to protect future children. A parent's number one job should be to ensure the safety of their children. There's a huge difference between making a mistake and not protecting those who can't protect themselves.

You are right, I'm making my argument based on the assumption these parents did not intend harm on their children. If they are behind this in some way, then obviously they should be "thrown-the-book".

My only point in all of this is that we as humans need to look at ourselves before we are so quick to judge others. No one is perfect and I have made plenty of poor decisions and mistakes that could have had a tragic outcome. Luckily, for many of us, the outcome is rarely tragic.

But the question remains, if nothing bad had happened, should the same punishment be delivered?

You are right, I'm making my argument based on the assumption these parents did not intend harm on their children. If they are behind this in some way, then obviously they should be "thrown-the-book".

My only point in all of this is that we as humans need to look at ourselves before we are so quick to judge others. No one is perfect and I have made plenty of poor decisions and mistakes that could have had a tragic outcome. Luckily, for many of us, the outcome is rarely tragic.

But the question remains, if nothing bad had happened, should the same punishment be delivered?

In terms of negligence, yes:

The failure to exercise that degree of care that, in the circumstances, the law requires for the protection of other persons or those interests of other persons that may be injuriously affected by the want of such care.

Would it be smart for anyone to leave a four year old to supervise a couple of two year olds in any case? Nope. These morans are negligent.

In terms of negligence, yes:

The failure to exercise that degree of care that, in the circumstances, the law requires for the protection of other persons or those interests of other persons that may be injuriously affected by the want of such care.

Would it be smart for anyone to leave a four year old to supervise a couple of two year olds in any case? Nope. These morans are negligent.

My question was meant on a broader scale and what I meant is: If nothing bad happened, should these parents still get the maxium punishment allowed by law? And I'm not seeking approval from our justice system. This is a moral question.

If you answer yes, then each and everyone of us should receive the maximum punishment. Each of us has made at least one bad decision that could have harmed or killed someone.

I am going to be a di ck here but...

Brentastic - I have read a lot of your posts in different topics and I always kind of thought you were an idiot. kind of a whiny beeotch.

After reading this stuff I am convinced I was right. the people who took the kids should be shot. the parents should absolutley be punished to the maximum. they left a two year old and a 4 year old. That is crazy and they need to be taught a lesson!!!!!!

brent,

are you saying that the parents were not negligent and should not be punished? I'm not asking you if they made a mistake--everyone appears to be in agreement that they made a mistake. Were they negligent? Is there ever a time, barring some type of extreme example, when a 4-yr-old and a 2-yr-old should be left alone to care for themselves, without appropriate supervision, over the course of 1-2 hours?

I am going to be a di ck here but...

Brentastic - I have read a lot of your posts in different topics and I always kind of thought you were an idiot. kind of a whiny beeotch.

After reading this stuff I am convinced I was right. the people who took the kids should be shot. the parents should absolutley be punished to the maximum. they left a two year old and a 4 year old. That is crazy and they need to be taught a lesson!!!!!!

:D Yes! Another condescending ingratiater steps up to the plate. The huddle masses never disappoint. You really need to be appreciated by the "group" - don't you? You only need to look at all of histroy to realize that the majority is rarely right.

Way to add anything resembling a thought to your argument. How long did it take you to think that response up?

brent,

are you saying that the parents were not negligent and should not be punished? I'm not asking you if they made a mistake--everyone appears to be in agreement that they made a mistake. Were they negligent? Is there ever a time, barring some type of extreme example, when a 4-yr-old and a 2-yr-old should be left alone to care for themselves, without appropriate supervision, over the course of 1-2 hours?

Why would I answer this when you obviously have not read this entire thread. I have specifically stated that the parents were negligent. I'm not asking what the law says, I'm begging people to change their mindset. Look at yourself before judging others is all I'm saying. I don't think the parents need to be dragged through the legal system to re-live this nightmare.

If I'm a parent, I'm not making sure my kids are taken care of because of the legal repercussions - I take care of them because I love them and want to do everything in my power to keep them safe. Obviously the parents had a HUGH lapse in judgement but that doesn't justify dragging through a lengthy trial and the maximum punishment. Like I have said several times now - We need an entire societal shift on our way of thinking and judging others. It's really quite simple.

Why would I answer this when you obviously have not read this entire thread. I have specifically stated that the parents were negligent. I'm not asking what the law says, I'm begging people to change their mindset. Look at yourself before judging others is all I'm saying. I don't think the parents need to be dragged through the legal system to re-live this nightmare.

If I'm a parent, I'm not making sure my kids are taken care of because of the legal repercussions - I take care of them because I love them and want to do everything in my power to keep them safe. Obviously the parents had a HUGH lapse in judgement but that doesn't justify dragging through a lengthy trial and the maximum punishment. Like I have said several times now - We need an entire societal shift on our way of thinking and judging others. It's really quite simple.

Based on your response, we seem to be in general agreement that the parents were negligent. Now comes the question of punishment. I'm not sure what the maximum punishment is in this case.

It would appear to be your view that these parents made a mistake, there was a lapse in judgment, and as a result, in this case, something really bad happened. The consequence of the loss of the child is punishment enough for these parents. Am I understanding you correctly? If not, help me out.

:D

Nice spin. The parents were wrong and made a poor decision on leaving the kids alone - I never said they didn't. If nothing were to happen - would they still deserve to have the "book thrown at them"? Based on your stance and how easy it is for you to judge others - I'm guessing you have never made poor decisions in your life. Man, it must be nice to be perfect :D

1. You need to have kids and walk in the shoes of a father before you tell other people who are parents how they should feel about punishment.

2. My poor decisions never have affected my children. Never once.

3. Do they deserve to have the book thrown at them? Yes, they do. They sure feel strong willed now to find their child, but their selfish actions, not selfless actions, deserve a form of punishment...and not only in public opinion.

Yeah it was a mistake - and in this situation that mistake had a very awful outcome. But come on, don't pretend to be so perfect Hugh. Parenting mistakes happen all of the time where nothing bad happens but you choose not to acknowledge that. Here's a scenario for you:

Would you ever have a party in your backyard, leave the baby in the bedroom while having your little walky-talky thing with you thinking that what you're doing is fine? In this scenario it would be just as easy for someone to go through the front door and take that child. Maybe you would never do this but there are plenty of people that do and think it's acceptable. My point is that these parents had a severe lack of judgement and will already be punished for life by not having their child and knowing that their actions were partially responsible for this tragedy. Why does society still need to put their "stamp" on this tragedy. Why is it not enough for you and everyone else that you need more "justice" to take place? You and everyone else must be damned special and perfect to demand such actions against these parents.

Dude, with all due respect, your are completely off base here. I'm not perfect. But this has absolutely nothing to do with me. I can tell you one thing, I have never jeopardized the safety of my children in any way, shape or form.

As to your scenario, again, you're way off. I don't leave the front door unlocked and open when my kids are unattended in the house. Ever. But that's a stupid comparison. Turning your back for 1 minute and leaving your kids in a pre-meditated manner are completely different.

Society should stamp these idiots as what they are: unfit to be parents. The children should be taken away from them. They should go to jail. The fact that anyone has any sympathy for them is beyond me.

:D How long did it take you to think that response up?

Not very long. I knew after reading about two of your posts you were a whiny beeotch.

This are unfit parents that should get everything that comes there way. I am not a parent but i would never leave two kids under the age of even 8 unattended to go have dinner.

Are you sticking up for these parents because they are yours? If so then it looks like the apple don't fall far from the tree!!

Be it right or wrong, does anybody know if the parents' action of leaving their kids like that is a social norm in their culture? (I know in some places that women will leave their kids in their strollers outside on the sidewalk when they go inside to eat at a restaurant and nobody thinks it is that big of a deal at all.)

Obviously the parents had a HUGH lapse in judgement but that doesn't justify dragging through a lengthy trial and the maximum punishment. Like I have said several times now - We need an entire societal shift on our way of thinking and judging others. It's really quite simple.

Yet, you're able to pass judgment, (from 40,000 feet), that this was simply a one time mistake for these two parents and that the punishment shouldn't be that severe. What if this was a common occurrence for these folks to leave their kids unattended for lengthy periods of time, but nothing has ever happened until now? Do they still deserve a free pass here?

Bottom line is, they f'ed up and made a bad choice, and it bit them in the arse. Now they're going to have to pay for it. It's really quite simple.