[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lightning....

Rovers

Had a wicked storm come through last evening. I was in my front hallway, with the front door open (but not the screen door) and felt a tingling sensation. It was absolutely pouring out.... and then, just about 5 feet out of my field of vision.... across the street, a thunderbolt that was louder and brighter than any I've ever seen before explodes. I walk ove to the door, and the neighbor across the street has his mini van in the driveway. I notice the left rear tail light is on. I'm like what the frig?

I go over there to tell them, and we see the metal cover for the water meter has been blown off... it's a 20 lb steel cover, like a small man hole cover. The grass is ripped up for 3 feet, leading to the driveway, and the van has dirt all over the right rear quarter panel. We walk around the van, and the driver's side side view mirror is smoking.... and melted. There is a lightning strike wound on the maple tree next to the van. Open the door.... the van is full of smoke. The entire vehicle got fried, along with every TV and computer in his house. I found bits of mirror in front of my house, about 100 feet away from the van.

I though vehicles were a safe place in a thunderstorm. They aren't. I have never heard of a vehicle getting fried like that before. Has anyone else? Got a good lightning story?

Had a wicked storm come through last evening. I was in my front hallway, with the front door open (but not the screen door) and felt a tingling sensation. It was absolutely pouring out.... and then, just about 5 feet out of my field of vision.... across the street, a thunderbolt that was louder and brighter than any I've ever seen before explodes. I walk ove to the door, and the neighbor across the street has his mini van in the driveway. I notice the left rear tail light is on. I'm like what the frig?

I go over there to tell them, and we see the metal cover for the water meter has been blown off... it's a 20 lb steel cover, like a small man hole cover. The grass is ripped up for 3 feet, leading to the driveway, and the van has dirt all over the right rear quarter panel. We walk around the van, and the driver's side side view mirror is smoking.... and melted. There is a lightning strike wound on the maple tree next to the van. Open the door.... the van is full of smoke. The entire vehicle got fried, along with every TV and computer in his house. I found bits of mirror in front of my house, about 100 feet away from the van.

I though vehicles were a safe place in a thunderstorm. They aren't. I have never heard of a vehicle getting fried like that before. Has anyone else? Got a good lightning story?

That's awesome! I've been close enough to have my hair stand up & feel the heat & force of air from one...scared the friggin crap outta me.

I've had numerous close calls down here in Florida, the lightning capital of the world. It sucks when I'm caught out in a storm as a mail carrier. Nor rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night..... No mention of lightning in that credo. When I'm working and it starts to lightning really bad, I just take a break. Can't get in trouble for that. I'm not risking my life to deliver your bills. :D

When I was a rookie, I was caught in a lightning storm and a bolt hit so close that it made my hair stand up and I felt a tingling sensation. I ran onto this enclosed porch when this ghey guy comes out and asks if I want to come in the house. Just my luck. I can't have a gorgeous woman ask me in. I politely declined and ran to my truck about 50 yards down the street. :D

Since then, I don't f'k with lightning.

Pretty sure this bolt was one of these....

Positive lightning

Positive lightning (also known as bolt from the blue or dry lightning)[16] makes up less than 5% of all lightning.[citation needed] It occurs when the leader forms at the positively charged cloud tops, with the consequence that a negatively charged streamer issues from the ground. The overall effect is a discharge of positive charges to the ground. Research carried out after the discovery of positive lightning in the 1970s showed that positive lightning bolts are typically six to ten times more powerful than negative bolts, last around ten times longer, and can strike tens of kilometres/miles from the clouds).[16] The voltage difference for positive lightning must be considerably higher, due to the tens of thousands of additional metres/feet the strike must travel. During a positive lightning strike, huge quantities of ELF and VLF radio waves are generated.[citation needed]

As a result of their greater power, positive lightning strikes are considerably more dangerous. At the present time, aircraft are not designed to withstand such strikes, since their existence was unknown at the time standards were set, and the dangers unappreciated until the destruction of a glider in 1999.[17] Positive lightning is also now believed to have been responsible for the 1963 in-flight explosion and subsequent crash of Pan Am Flight 214, a Boeing 707. Subsequently, aircraft operating in U.S. airspace have been required to have lightning discharge wicks to reduce the chances of a similar occurrence.

Positive lightning has also been shown to trigger the occurrence of upper atmosphere lightning. It tends to occur more frequently in winter storms and at the end of a thunderstorm.

:D This happened at the end of the very wild thunderstorm. The rain had almost stopped when it hit, and was completely gone in a minute or so. The most damage was done on the ground and van, so this idea that a negative, more powerful discharge eminated from the ground first, meeting a positive bolt from the cloud in the air seems to fit. The maple tree wasn't very damaged. This sucker barely passed me... even inside the house, I felt the charge building.... something I've never experienced while indoors before. That's why I was looking out the front door when it hit. I felt this thing building.

I'm guessing that his plumbing was hit too.... everything in this guy's house that has a computer chip in it got fried. The dishwasher, the microwave to go along with all the TV's and his computer and several circuit breakers got fused.... and the power company had to replace the watt meter today as well. This thing went right over my house, and blasted him. Never mind if someone was outside... I think if someone was taking a shower at the time they'd be fried too. Dodged a bullet... er.... a bolt yesterday.... shoulda bought a lottery ticket. Lady luck was with me yesterday.

While in basic training at Ft. Benning, Georgia I was on guard duty one night. Its about

3 am and I'm walking in an open but covered walkway next to the barracks. It was late summer

and massive thunderstorms had been hitting the area for a week or two and that night was no

exception. All of a sudden something struck the open ground within 50 yards of where I was

walking. Lots of bright light, very hard to describe, with an accompyning boom that sounded as

if the building had been bombed. I ducked and took cover thinking I was being subjected to some

kind of training excercise. It then dawned on me that I had probably just witnessed a lightning

strike. Got up , brushed myself off and continued my guard duty with a new respect for thunder

and lightning.

A guy from my area, who I wasn't great friends with, but, we ran in the same crowds, was struck by lightning and killed a few years ago. He was a Division 1 athlete, playing both Basketball and Football for Rhode Island. It was a tragedy that shook our area, as he was such a well-liked individual. Here is a note on him, about, 1/4 down the page, his name is Justin Henry........ :D

Ever since then, I feel a bit of fear when I have to be outside during a lightning storm, especially when they seem to be getting closer and closer.

This happened last summer in the town I grew up in on the field of the Elementary School I went to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13991790/

Terribly sad. :D

Wow.... :D

Very sad. It is so strange, I never had much fear of lightning growing up, until that one incident hit close to home. I will make sure that my son is aware of the danger and treats it accordingly.

I've been caught in lightning storms while hunting. Talk about hauling arse thru the woods with lightning hitting all around. The closest I've ever had a strike near me was a football field away and that was plenty close enough. I've also been on a ship when lightning was around. There's a real challenge to keep your mind screwed down. Don't mess with Mother Nature. I'm glad no one got hurt Rovers.

:D

BOLT !

The above is a pretty good example of what I saw - minus the palms and everything...

I was hanging out in my dad's greenhouse when I was in my teens watching a big storm... a bolt - like the above - hit the neighbors house (as it had done several times in the last couple years). I the flash burnt into my eyes and for a few minutes, all I could see was this superimposed flash on things.

Well... the hit caused the mirror in the master badroom to shatter and threw the glass across the room into the headboard. they were not home but finally got a lightning rod shortly afterward

When I was a kid our house got hit. It put a hole in the roof about 2' in diameter, and took out the washer and dryer. And by took out I mean hit them directly and pretty much melted them.

There is a grocery sacker in our town who is effectionatlely know as Sparky. The guy has been hit by lightning twice. He's not all there anymore, but he is a nice enough guy.

When I was in 8th grade a kid at the high school was killed by lightning during football practice.

I was almost stuck once walking down a golf course.

We're you in the middle of playing the best golf game of your life, only to miss an easy putt, then yell, "rat farrrrrrrts!? :D

Edited by yo mama

Had a near miss once while pulling into the driveway with my wife and kids in the car. We all ran into the house and after the storm passed, I went outside to look for damage, and smelled smoke. Our neighbors house had been struck on the metal chimney flue and the house was on fire. They weren't home so I went over to try to rescue the pets. The fire chief showed up and ripped me a new one for trying to enter a burning house. :D

Twice in my life I have been WAY uncomfortably close to lightning. Once was on a golf course when a storm pretty much came out of the blue and bolts were hitting all around us. I really did not know what to do. I mean I did not know where to go. The bolts were all around and at least three trees right around us got hit. I drove the cart into a tunnel at this course and waited it out. The tunnel was full of golfers and everyone was shocked at the storm.

Second time was while I was camping with my family. I had a two year old at the time and just like that other storm this one came from nowhere and was all around us. I have a hugh fear of getting into a car while the storm is active as I know a guy that was killed that way so we sort of waited for a long time in a tent with winds blowing at something like 60mph. It got to be too much and we dashed to the truck. The next day the damage that was all around us was amazing. I still can't believe we were there.