[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are they obligated......

BigMikeinNY

Last night my wife and I went to a delicious Mexican restaurant in NYC before seeing Les Miserables on Broadway.

So for my first drink of the night, the waiter suggests a margarita.........After taking my first sip of my drink (top notch I must add), I set it down and the whole entire thing spills all over my lap. After using 6 cloth napkins to clean it up, the waiter asks me if I need anymore napkins. I tell him "no, I'm all set" and he takes away the empty glass......

After about 10 minutes of no new drink, my wife and I then begin to chat, wondering "Is he going to bring me other one?" or "Is it my fault for being an idiot for spilling it?"

*The tables were homemade and the tiles on the table were uneven. When I set it down on our table, it caught the end of the tile and fell

SO: Am I obligated to get a replacement drink for free? or should I have to cough up another $8 bucks for a NYC margarita?

I will letcha know what he did/did not do after I'm done mowing the lawn :D

I would say they don't "owe" you a free drink since you were the one who spilled it.

It would have been a nice gesture on their part, but I wouldn't expect them to replace it for free.

+1

Of course if you are a regular customer at a certain bar or club I think that they should.

You bought the drink and it was delivered to you. You then begin consuming it. Then YOU spill it. Why would you possibly think that they owe you a drink since they didnt spill your drink? I am not even sure how you can even ask the question. They dont owe you for food that they have already served you and then do to your fault, it spilled.

Edited by spain

if it were my restaurant, i would replace it. though i am not obligated to do so.

I missed the word "obligated". NO, they are not obligated, but I think most places would replace at no charge. I'd still give the waiter a couple of extra $$.

If I were still waiting tables, I would have gotten you a new one. I'm guessing the waiter was just clueless (and I doubt it is a restaurant policy to not replace spilled drinks (nor would I suppose, though, that it is a policy to replace spilled drinks either).

If you already started drinking it then it's your fault. I've had them spill drinks when placing them on the table and they promptly replace it but in your case it's not thier fault. Given your situation, had they replaced it, I would have been spilling drinks all night then.

"Ooops, that's the sixth half full drink I spilt tonight." :D

No obligation to replace it. A lot of obligation to clean it up after you've left.

Also, there's no knowledge of how much you've already had to drink and how much of a factor that was.

I say no obligation. If they do, pay for it in a tip.

well, i waited tables for a few years, and unless you were a jerk or extremely drunk, i would bring you a new drink (and was always instructed by managers to do this if they were around). Obviously, there's no obligation, but this is part of taking care of the customer in the restaurant business. The cost of the new drink to them is a few dollars and then you go tell your friends how nice the waiter was rather than telling all your friends you came away with a questionable experience.

Obligation is the wrong word, but anyone saying he shouldn't get another drink has NEVER worked in the food service business.

I worked in the food service industry during my free time while in the service. I definitely would NOT have felt obligated to buy some nimrod mumble fingers a replacement drink. In fact I would have inquired if you had maybe had just a tad too much to drink to begin with and would have cut you off. For alcohol abuse if nothing else. No excuse for spilling a drink....and then you expect him to replace it?

Of course my wife was a Food and Beverage Manager in charge of all kinds of clubs and resuraunts.... she would, of course, have replaced the drink. *sigh*