[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bank of America SUCKS

Dr. Rock

On Thursday evening, I write a sizable check. Later that night, my circumstances changed and I realized I would need to stop that check. First thing Friday morning, I call up BOA to cancel the check. The woman I speak to takes all of the information, says that the check will be stopped, and that there will be a $30 fee to do so. While charging $30 to stop a check is insane, I agree because I have no other choice.

Friday evening, I check my account - and the original check has gone through. I immediately call up BOA asking what the hell is going on. The rep I spoke to (and later, his boss) explain to me that the check had been cashed approx. 30 minutes before I called in the morning, so it was too late to stop it, and that the woman I talked to that morning was either mistaken or the transaction hadn't hit her screen yet. While I'm infuriated at the misinformation, I at least can understand that the check was cashed before I called and there's nothing I could have done about it anyway.

But that's not what's driving me nuts here. They're still charging me the $30 check stoppage fee. You know, to stop a check which they NEVER stopped! $30, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to bankrupt me. But the blantant money-grabbing for a service never performed - especially after one of their reps gave me incorrect information - is absurd. I'm considering closing my account over this. Thoughts?

On Thursday evening, I write a sizable check. Later that night, my circumstances changed and I realized I would need to stop that check. First thing Friday morning, I call up BOA to cancel the check. The woman I speak to takes all of the information, says that the check will be stopped, and that there will be a $30 fee to do so. While charging $30 to stop a check is insane, I agree because I have no other choice.

Friday evening, I check my account - and the original check has gone through. I immediately call up BOA asking what the hell is going on. The rep I spoke to (and later, his boss) explain to me that the check had been cashed approx. 30 minutes before I called in the morning, so it was too late to stop it, and that the woman I talked to that morning was either mistaken or the transaction hadn't hit her screen yet. While I'm infuriated at the misinformation, I at least can understand that the check was cashed before I called and there's nothing I could have done about it anyway.

But that's not what's driving me nuts here. They're still charging me the $30 check stoppage fee. You know, to stop a check which they NEVER stopped! $30, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to bankrupt me. But the blantant money-grabbing for a service never performed - especially after one of their reps gave me incorrect information - is absurd. I'm considering closing my account over this. Thoughts?

I seriously doubt they would make this charge stick if you talk to the right person. Ask to speak to a CSR manager if you want to call or simply visit your local branch.

I work for BofA (third party consultant on the real estate side) and bank with them. I haven't had any problems with them, and I get the feeling that if something like this DID happen to me, that I would feel comfortable in having it cleared up to my satisfaction.

Good luck.

Thanks, D3.

Now I'm completely confused. Last night, I checked my account balance onscreen at an ATM and saw that the original check had gone though - didn't see the stop payment charge ( I was informed that would stick while on the phone).

However, now I'm checking my account online. The check is no longer showing up, but the stop payment charge is. (oddly, its showing up $20, not $30). The supervisor I spoke to said it would post overnight, so it should be in there by now. Did they misinform me again, and now the check is stopped? I need to go straighten this out.

Thanks, D3.

Now I'm completely confused. Last night, I checked my account balance onscreen at an ATM and saw that the original check had gone though - didn't see the stop payment charge ( I was informed that would stick while on the phone).

However, now I'm checking my account online. The check is no longer showing up, but the stop payment charge is. (oddly, its showing up $20, not $30). The supervisor I spoke to said it would post overnight, so it should be in there by now. Did they misinform me again, and now the check is stopped? I need to go straighten this out.

I use BofA in California. In my time with them, I am still unable to understand how their in process transactions are reflected online. In short: I think they're a mess and only clear up after a few days and everything gets 'finalized.' I know that doesn't help, but I can more or less promise you if you take a screen shot of what you're looking at now it will be completely different by Tuesday morning.

Also, I'd be surprised if you don't get your money back. BofA is large and much stuff is automated. Getting the right person to fix something that tripeed when it wasn't supposed to isn't very hard and I find when they know something isn't right in my expereince they try to fix it.

I use BofA in California. In my time with them, I am still unable to understand how their in process transactions are reflected online. In short: I think they're a mess and only clear up after a few days and everything gets 'finalized.' I know that doesn't help, but I can more or less promise you if you take a screen shot of what you're looking at now it will be completely different by Tuesday morning.

Also, I'd be surprised if you don't get your money back. BofA is large and much stuff is automated. Getting the right person to fix something that tripeed when it wasn't supposed to isn't very hard and I find when they know something isn't right in my expereince they try to fix it.

Alright, but I don't think this is just a BofA thing. I still have my Union Bank of California account in addition to my BofA account. I know that UBOC has screwwy online banking issues.

And to boot, I called UBOC earlier in the week to inquire about some cleared checks. The said they didn't have that information in their computers past March of this year. March? 3 months' worth of information? That's lame. Anyways, the CSR goes on to say that I could order copies of my statements. I do keep my statements, but I wasn't sure if I had the statements I needed (from late '06), so I said "sure, send the statements". Couple days later, I go and check my online banking and I see a $20 charge for the copies of my statements. :D Dude did not even mention it. Had he mentioned the fee, I would have probably held off and went and checked my own records before ordering them.

Dr. Rock really should visit his branch and speak with a manager there. BofA has terrific in-branch service, IMO.

Well, I went and visited a branch, but just missed closing time. So while I was there, I checked the account balance onscreen at the ATM: money from check is still mine, cancelled check fee still shows up. I call up BOA customer service from the parking lot and speak to a very polite woman who confirms that the check has not gone through. I ask her why a supervisor told me last night that it was too late and there was nothing he could do, yet now it seems the exact opposite has happened. She couldn't say for sure, but she assumes that although the check had already been cashed and was pending, the stop payment command was able to kill the pending transaction (again, exactly contrary to what the supervisor said would happen).

So, while this is great news, I'm not ready to believe anything just yet. We'll see what happens on Monday, but for now things look good.

Edited by Dr. Rock

My last day working @ BAC was yesterday. I was with MBNA and BAC took them over. The majority of competent associates are a few levels up the management chain, PSULions can attest to this. You will rarely get a supervisor who is in the know as things are forever changing. I guess that goes for most corporations, though.

The last couple of months they have been concerned with "Customer Delight". Their customer service ranking is near the bottom. The good Dr. sounds "Delighted", eh?

What was the check for and why did you need to cancel it?

I put down money on an apartment, and as soon as I left started having second thoughts about the neighborhood. I quickly realized it wasn't the right place for me, and I called the guy about 3 hours later to say I was very sorry for wasting his time but that I'd changed my mind, and I felt it was better to inform him ASAP than wait until I'd moved in and then leave, for him to have to then find someone else. I hadn't signed a lease yet. When I found out he'd cashed the check I called him to ask why, and he said that he thought my phone call was to say I was having a problem with my bank (which is complete BS, i distinctly remember him saying "so.. you're not taking the apartment then? Ugh.")

So, my own fault and mistake for putting money down on a place and changing my mind - like I said originally when I thought the check had gone through, I was upset, but it was my own doing. I was more upset at BoA for still charging me the fee, and now I'm not too happy that they can't get their facts straight about whether the check has actually gone through or not. So now I've been checking my account balance every 20 minutes to see if I still have the money.

Edited by Dr. Rock

I hadn't signed a lease yet. When I found out he'd cashed the check I called him to ask why, and he said that he thought my phone call was to say I was having a problem with my bank (which is complete BS, i distinctly remember him saying "so.. you're not taking the apartment then? Ugh.")

Typical landlord. . .sounds like a real scumbag.

I put down money on an apartment, and as soon as I left started having second thoughts about the neighborhood. I quickly realized it wasn't the right place for me, and I called the guy about 3 hours later to say I was very sorry for wasting his time but that I'd changed my mind, and I felt it was better to inform him ASAP than wait until I'd moved in and then leave, for him to have to then find someone else. I hadn't signed a lease yet. When I found out he'd cashed the check I called him to ask why, and he said that he thought my phone call was to say I was having a problem with my bank (which is complete BS, i distinctly remember him saying "so.. you're not taking the apartment then? Ugh.")

So, my own fault and mistake for putting money down on a place and changing my mind - like I said originally when I thought the check had gone through, I was upset, but it was my own doing. I was more upset at BoA for still charging me the fee, and now I'm not too happy that they can't get their facts straight about whether the check has actually gone through or not. So now I've been checking my account balance every 20 minutes to see if I still have the money.

Dr. Rock is really Billy Donovan. Go Gators!

Yep, came to that conclusion back in the 70's. They were Incompetent a$$holes then and sounds like they still are. Pull you account, take a little time and find out who the regional manager is and tell him why you will never do business with BoA again.

Yep, came to that conclusion back in the 70's. They were Incompetent a$$holes then and sounds like they still are. Pull you account, take a little time and find out who the regional manager is and tell him why you will never do business with BoA again.

:D

There are no regional managers. He is part of the consumer bank, like I am and was likely routed to a call center throughout the country. Sounds like the help that he has received has been confusing, but without knowing what has happened and what steps were taken to prevent his large check from being cashed, it is hard to help with the situation. Hopefully, he will get the check stopped and will not fight with his almost new landlord to get his funds refunded to him. If the Bank was successful in stopping the check, hopefully, the Bank can work with him about the appropriate charge for the service, if not, they should NOT charge him and he will need to work with the potential landlord to get his money back.

I hope it all works out.

I have closed accounts at banks for far less offenses. It is my money, not theirs.

Well, two days later and the money is still in my account, so I'm almost ready to assume that the check is canceled for good. I know I brought this whole situation upon myself, but it sure would have been nice to just get a straight answer from the bank about what the hell was going on, rather than a constantly changing story.