[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Yankees

Sleeping King

I agree with you almost completely. However, no one was ever arguing that Yankee fans, etc would be/are disappointed in that we only won one game and didn't advance... as it's brutal.. I think what Pope and others are ripping you a bit for is that you said the Yanks were dead and they made it to the playoffs which is more than you thought/predicted they would. That's where you were wrong and had to eat crow. End of story. The Yanks not going further into the playoffs is beside the point and you it doesn't make your orignal comments less incorrect. It just makes you happy that they're out.

I guess we were posting at the same time. I absolutely give the Yankees credit for how well they played down the stretch but like you said they did not accomplish anything making it a moot point.

On a more productive note. What do you guys (Yankee fans) think should happen to Torre now?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we were posting at the same time. I absolutely give the Yankees credit for how well they played down the stretch but like you said they did not accomplish anything making it a moot point.

On a more productive note. What do you guys (Yankee fans) think should happen to Torre now?

I want him back and think he should be back. The players need to make things happen on the field but he brought the team all the way back from the dead :D into the postseason. However, GS will probably be a d1ckface and get rid of him just so he looks like the all powerful wizard of The Bronx. Best manager in baseball through the years.

I want him back and think he should be back. The players need to make things happen on the field but he brought the team all the way back from the dead :D into the postseason. However, GS will probably be a d1ckface and get rid of him just so he looks like the all powerful wizard of The Bronx. Best manager in baseball through the years.

Completely agree. Georgie has a a right to be pissed but like normal he vents his anger in the wrong directions. Not sure how Torre can be held responsible for the teams ace falling apart pitching a combined 5 2/3 innings and giving up 12 runs seems to me like the reason they lost.

Completely agree. Georgie has a a right to be pissed but like normal he vents his anger in the wrong directions. Not sure how Torre can be held responsible for the teams ace falling apart pitching a combined 5 2/3 innings and giving up 12 runs seems to me like the reason they lost.

Exactly.

I know I am. Frankly, I was shaking in my boots of the amazing all-powerful never choking in the playoffs Yankees. :D

:D By the way congrats to you guys and your Sox, who you root for so intently. The WS is in sight. Good Luck and enjoy. :wacko:

1) Torre panicked and chose to start Wang on 3 days rest. Pitchers starting on 3 days rest were 12-30 in the playoffs in recent years (now 12-31). He should have started Mussina.

2) You might want to try to find a better "ace". Wang gave up 4 runs or more in 9 of his 30 starts this year. Sure he won 19 games but many of his wins were against sub-500 teams:

2-1 vs Tampa (.407 winning pct)

3-0 vs KC (.426)

1-0 vs Baltimore (.426)

2-0 vs Chicago Sox (.444)

Counting up, that's 8-1 vs teams that are at least 18 games under .500. Wang's record was 19-7, so that puts him at a decent 11-6 vs the rest of the league.

By comparison, Carmona gave up 4 runs or more 5 times in 32 starts. Sabathia gave up 4 runs 8 times in 34 starts. Beckett gave up 4 runs 7 times in 30 starts.

Carmona was 6-2 vs Baltimore, KC, Florida (.438) and the White Sox, 13-6 vs the rest of the league. Sabathia was 5-2 vs Baltimore, Tampa, KC, and CWS, 14-5 vs the rest of the league. And Beckett was 8-1 vs Baltimore, KC, Tampa, and CWS, 12-6 vs the rest of the league.

So of those 4 "aces", Wang had the worst record vs decent teams, and the most games of allowing 4 or more runs. He may be the "ace" of the Yankees, but being an ace means coming up strong in big games against good teams, and I don't see that from Wang.

Edited by KevinL

Well seeing as they did not make it out of the first round I would say I do not need the World Series to be right. They have a 200 million dollar payroll and they won one post season game. If Boston does not win the World Series the season is a complete failure. I have said that many times. Boston has a 140 million dollar payroll. For those two teams anything short of a ring is complete and utter failure.

They came back and won the wildcard. Do you think any player on that team or staff thinks this was a successful year? If you do then you have no clue about how Boston/NY treat baseball. This is not the Tigers or Braves we are talking about. Where just making it is good enough.

If Boston loses, which could happen, I will come back on and say that the entire season was a complete waste.

nobody is saying the yankees consider this season a success. that is not the question. the question is whether the yankees were, as you so triumphantly claimed, "dead" way back in june. the fact that they were still alive in october means you were wrong. it is pretty simple.