[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Solid or Engineered Hardwood floor?

Sushi

Was hoping someone mentioned bamboo. A terrific choice for anyone considering wood floors.

does all this mean i sell fake bears or engineered bears? depending on the answer I will have to adjust my pricing accordingly :D

oh and when we were looking at a location that was going to require us putting in a new floor we were going to go with bamboo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. forester? your life is solid wood. And i'm the one with bias? Happens to most loggers I know. Just because you know the logs, doesn't mean you know what's good for flooring. In your mind if it isn't solid it isn't real.

I sell all types of flooring, and don't have a bias toward any of them. I speak of the facts. I sell solid pre-finished solid hardwoods by the best manufacturers in North America. I sell laminate floors as well (which I know has real wood in it, that's what MDF and HDF are). I sell vinyl, carpet and tile as well. I have no bias toward any of them. I sell what's best for my customers. if I thought it didn't matter what product was used, I tell them to pick based on color and style. But when it comes to function, and specific needs (like a kitchen and a humid area) I recommend the best product for the job. In this case, it's engineered hardwood.

So how do you feel about bamboo, then? Just curious, I'm no bamboo farmer or anything.

Interesting. forester? your life is solid wood. And i'm the one with bias? Happens to most loggers I know. Just because you know the logs, doesn't mean you know what's good for flooring. In your mind if it isn't solid it isn't real.

I sell all types of flooring, and don't have a bias toward any of them. I speak of the facts. I sell solid pre-finished solid hardwoods by the best manufacturers in North America. I sell laminate floors as well (which I know has real wood in it, that's what MDF and HDF are). I sell vinyl, carpet and tile as well. I have no bias toward any of them. I sell what's best for my customers. if I thought it didn't matter what product was used, I tell them to pick based on color and style. But when it comes to function, and specific needs (like a kitchen and a humid area) I recommend the best product for the job. In this case, it's engineered hardwood.

you are a Pats fan so you do have that working against you :D

We finally tore up our carpet knowing there was oak hardwood floors beneath. We just didn't know what kind of shape they were in. It turns out, they're in freaking great shape!

Any ideas out there as to what the most common way of finishing them was back in 1970 when the house was built? We're trying to figure out so we know how to care for them.

evidently covering them with carpet keeps them in good shape :D

if it's not 3/4" solid hardwood, then it's fake. ask polk, he'll tell you. He's in the wood industry. Granted, he's not in the flooring industry, but he still knows everything there is to know about wood.

Solid=real

anything else=fake

this is, btw, wrong, but we don't deal in facts here :D

As for, bamboo... do you want real or fake?? Just kidding. I like bamboo a lot. Very hard. Harder than even polk's real hardwood. A little limited from a design stand-point; few colors. Holds up very well to moisture, as mentioned before, due to the fact that it's grown in water, and is actualll a grass and not a wood at all. The only reason I didn't mention it before is because it's such a particular look that you really need to go look at some samples. I've found most people look at it and even love the look or hate it.

if it's not 3/4" solid hardwood, then it's fake. ask polk, he'll tell you. He's in the wood industry. Granted, he's not in the flooring industry, but he still knows everything there is to know about wood.

Solid=real

anything else=fake

this is, btw, wrong, but we don't deal in facts here :D

As for, bamboo... do you want real or fake?? Just kidding. I like bamboo a lot. Very hard. Harder than even polk's real hardwood. A little limited from a design stand-point; few colors. Holds up very well to moisture, as mentioned before, due to the fact that it's grown in water, and is actualll a grass and not a wood at all. The only reason I didn't mention it before is because it's such a particular look that you really need to go look at some samples. I've found most people look at it and even love the look or hate it.

I am no longer in the wood business, but I am still smart.

Look, a HEMI CUDA for sale!!! These are normally 500k these days!! What a bargain!! It is a real hemi cuda, it even says so!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franklin-Mint-1970-Ply...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you go with the bamboo you have to never, and I mean NEVER, let pandas anywhere near your floors because they will eat that faster than a coondog on a porkchop.

I'm not a wood expert but I've sent a lot of wood to its death. Wood would be LUCKY to become a floor when I'm around. Sometimes I just walk up to trees and make chainsaw noises just to let them know I mean business.

I am no longer in the wood business, but I am still smart.

Look, a HEMI CUDA for sale!!! These are normally 500k these days!! What a bargain!! It is a real hemi cuda, it even says so!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franklin-Mint-1970-Ply...1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting you never answered the quaestion what you have against engineered hardwoods.

Just because a piece of wood is cut, doesn't now make it less real. I suppose the only way you eat fish is whole, and raw, and you bite right through the skin? Because once you skin it and portion it, it's not real anymore.

I deal in the facts. The facts are an engineered hardwood floor is real wood. In fact many flooring companies use the exact same saws they use to cut 3/4" solid floors, they just cut the wood 1/4" thick. Same wood. Same hardness. Same visual. Better stability however, which makes it advantageous in some installations.

You're like the good-ole-boy contractors I deal with in very traditional NH. If it's not 3/4" solid hardwood, and finished on site with 7 coats or urethane, it's not real. Well, you know what? It's real, and it's better. Deal with it.

Interesting you never answered the quaestion what you have against engineered hardwoods.

Just because a piece of wood is cut, doesn't now make it less real. I suppose the only way you eat fish is whole, and raw, and you bite right through the skin? Because once you skin it and portion it, it's not real anymore.

I deal in the facts. The facts are an engineered hardwood floor is real wood. In fact many flooring companies use the exact same saws they use to cut 3/4" solid floors, they just cut the wood 1/4" thick. Same wood. Same hardness. Same visual. Better stability however, which makes it advantageous in some installations.

You're like the good-ole-boy contractors I deal with in very traditional NH. If it's not 3/4" solid hardwood, and finished on site with 7 coats or urethane, it's not real. Well, you know what? It's real, and it's better. Deal with it.

I have nothing against fake wood, I mean if that is your thing then gopher it. I mean if you want to slip hugh one a mickey, shave his back, put a blonde wig on him and pretend he is pamela anderson then gopher it. But as for me I prefer genuine things.

Why is the sub-floor of your house built using plywood aand not solid planks? Because plywood is more stable.

:D are you sure it's not because it's cheaper? could you buy 4x8 sheets of solid hardwood even if you wanted to? trees aren't usually shaped like that.

"engineered" hardwood floors may be more durable water resistant than solid, and thus "better" in a lot of ways, but i'm not so sure on the "can't possibly tell the difference once it's installed" assertion. the ones i've seen look great, but you can tell they're not "real". and solid hardwood REALLY looks great most of the time.

:D are you sure it's not because it's cheaper? could you buy 4x8 sheets of solid hardwood even if you wanted to? trees aren't usually shaped like that.

If solid planking performed better than plywood, that's what would be used. Size doesn't have anything to do with it. I still come across 1700s houses here that were built with solid planking sub-floors. There are hugh gaps between them and their generally not in shape to install any flooring on top of them.

"engineered" hardwood floors may be more durable water resistant than solid, and thus "better" in a lot of ways, but i'm not so sure on the "can't possibly tell the difference once it's installed" assertion. the ones i've seen look great, but you can tell they're not "real". and solid hardwood REALLY looks great most of the time.

Then you haven't seen the right ones.

there are two types of engineered, sliced and rotary. You can tell th differnece between some rotary floors and a solid. But you absolutely can not tell the difference between a sliced engineered and a solid hardwood. Why? Because they only have one machine they cut their logs with. One setting cuts the wood into 3/4" thick wood for solid floors, then they change the setting and cut it 1/4" thick. Same lumber, same evrything. It gets the same factory finish applied, same edge profiles. There is no difference. Granted, not all floors are fabricated this way, but those that are have no difference.

+1

Then you haven't seen the right ones.

there are two types of engineered, sliced and rotary. You can tell th differnece between some rotary floors and a solid. But you absolutely can not tell the difference between a sliced engineered and a solid hardwood. Why? Because they only have one machine they cut their logs with. One setting cuts the wood into 3/4" thick wood for solid floors, then they change the setting and cut it 1/4" thick. Same lumber, same evrything. It gets the same factory finish applied, same edge profiles. There is no difference. Granted, not all floors are fabricated this way, but those that are have no difference.

so it's like a veneer? sounds sorta like a best-of-both-worlds product to me. you could probably sell me on that one.