[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France

Chavez

Favorites:

Alexandre Vinokourov 2/1

Andreas Kloden 11/2

Alejandro Valverde 6/1

Carlos Sastre 14/1

Cadel Evans 16/1

No love for last year's #2 man Oscar Pereiro - he's caddying for Valverde this year. Team Discover is hitching themselves to Levi Leipheimer, but I don't see it - George Hincapie impresses me more.

Edited by Chavez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorites:

Alexandre Vinokourov 2/1

Andreas Kloden 11/2

Alejandro Valverde 6/1

Carlos Sastre 14/1

Cadel Evans 16/1

No love for last year's #2 man Oscar Pereiro - he's caddying for Valverde this year. Team Discover is hitching themselves to Levi Leipheimer, but I don't see it - George Hincapie impresses me more.

George seems too big to win the whole thing. . .he's more of a single stage kinda guy, IMO. It's tough to size up Vino since he didn't race last year. I like Valverde at 6/1, he's a natural talent for a multi stage race, and he's got all the tools. Great climber, good on the sprints. Only problem is he's VERY unlucky with crashes and injuries. Evans is a nice sleeper pick too. Everyone in Australia says he's got the ability to conquer the mountains, unlike countrymen Robbie McEwen and Stewie O'Grady.

I think I'm boycotting the whole thing this year. . .I'm just so sick of the greatest sporting event in the world mired in all the filth it's been in for the last 2 years. OK, I'll watch the Tourmalet and L'Alp De Huez stages, but that's it!

McEwen is the most fun to watch though - he's always up there with the leaders....well, until they hit a stage that isn't flat ground.

McEwen is the most fun to watch though - he's always up there with the leaders....well, until they hit a stage that isn't flat ground.

He's a pompous, showboating hot dog. . .and I love it!

Remember a few years ago when he crossed the finish line of a giant mountain stage while popping a wheelie??

Classic. . .

Favorites:

Alexandre Vinokourov 2/1

Andreas Kloden 11/2

Alejandro Valverde 6/1

Carlos Sastre 14/1

Cadel Evans 16/1

i like valverde and cadel evans at those odds. vino....i dunno, just tough to see him as a yellow jersey kinda guy.

I think I'm boycotting the whole thing this year. . .I'm just so sick of the greatest sporting event in the world mired in all the filth it's been in for the last 2 years. OK, I'll watch the Tourmalet and L'Alp De Huez stages, but that's it!

i don't believe either of those climbs are on this year's route.

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me so much that I won't watch. It is an amazing event regardless. Honestly, if you boycotted everything in this world that was tainted, you'd have to go live in the woods and grow your own food.

These guys may have doped, but I think that we get carried away with the degree to which it trivializes the feat. It's not like I could just wake up, hit the juice and then go ride 2000 miles over crazy mountains in 20 days. Certainly, guys have been pulling it off for years clean and I'd certainly prefer to see it that way, but it is still perhaps the single greatest physical test in the world.

It's not like I could just wake up, hit the juice and then go ride 2000 miles over crazy mountains in 20 days.

No, but if you were, say, the 10th best cyclist in the world it could help you shave 10 or 20 minutes off your total time for the course, which would win you the Tour via cheating, which is exactly what Floyd did last year. . . depending on whose side of the story you believe.

i don't believe either of those climbs are on this year's route.

Really?? I'm too lazy to look up the course route. . .what are the HC climbs this year?

No, but if you were, say, the 10th best cyclist in the world it could help you shave 10 or 20 minutes off your total time for the course, which would win you the Tour via cheating, which is exactly what Floyd did last year. . . depending on whose side of the story you believe.

Believe me, I'm not saying that these guys don't get anything from doping. Just simply saying that from a spectators standpoint, it is still incredible to watch. Also, when the usage is so wide spread, then you have a number of top riders all using so it's sort of even again.

Would I prefer that the sport be clean? Certainly. Does it all of sudden become pro wrestling (as one sports writer lamely said in an OP ED I read in the paper last week) because there's been rampant drug use? Hardly.

i'm too lazy to look it up again. there were definitely some brutal looking stages, in both the alps and the pyrrennes, as you would expect.

OK, OK, you out-lazied me:

Stage 7 - Col de la Columbiere

Stage 8 - Cormet de Roselend

Stage 9 - starts with Col de l'Iseran (HC), ends with Col du Telegraphe/Col du Galibier (both HC). . .BRUTAL

Stage 14 - Port de Pailheres (HC)

Stage 15 - Port de Bales, Col de Peyresourde (HC)

Stage 16 - Port de Larrau (HC), Col de Marie-Blanque

So, there are some monster hills in there. . .but still, a year with no Tourmalet or Alp d'Huez? weak. . . . Those are my all time favorite soul killers.

OK, OK, you out-lazied me:

:D I just read The Rider by Tim Krabbe, and he had the nugget that a true racer "licks his opponent's plate clean before his own."

Apparently Az already has the TdF mentaility in full gear.

he must have been on drugs. :D

Considering how he left everyone in the dust, apparently he's the ONLY person on them this year. :D

Huge wreck. Only about 20 of the 188 riders were there for the sprint at the finish.

One of "my guys" - Frank Schleck from CSC - also went down, but I'm guessing that if he wasn't in the Peloton by the time of the crash, he caught up shortly after.

Andreas Kloden 11/2

Kloden ractured his coccyx today, but they say he'll continue the race -Vinokourov hasn't been impressing either; Astana looks like it was a paper tiger.

Edited by Chavez

Stage 6 wasn't much - but stage 7 - THE ALPS.

Great drama, as always - the flat stages with the Peloton chasing down breakaways in the last 20 km tend to be pretty boring up until the sprints at the end. Stage 5 was complete mayhem, especially for Astana. Stage 7 in the mountains is what makes me love the sport - some kid just absolutely gutting it out and taking both the stage and the Maillot Jaune on the same day.

Vinokourov (and Kloden) are impressing me as well - those two guys are pretty clearly hurtin' but haven't lost time to any real threats. Curious to see how it all plays out tomorrow - I don't expect Gerdeman to have much left after selling out to win today.

"Gerdeman" is very very close to being a very cool last name.

Next year you should be able to go to the Tour in person and wave a Swiss flag in the rider's faces.

Next year you should be able to go to the Tour in person and wave a Swiss flag in the rider's faces.

I want to go as the fat old guy in the devil suit with the pitchfork. He's there every year, and I love it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guano/28355325/

http://www.iranian.com/PhotoDay/2002/July/Images/devil.jpg