[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fanatsy Practice Squads

I have been throwing arouind the idea of pratice squads in our keeper league. Was wondering the different rules and procedures that could be used with this.

Limits, number and time a player could be on a PS

Can other teams claim them

Is there compensation if your guy gets claimed.

In other words share your practice squad rules with me

In some dynasties, practice squad players (referred as DTS) can be designated for up to the player's first 3 years. He is no longer eligable for this after 3 years in the league OR if he was ever on an active roster in the league. There is a limit set for the practice-squad roster size and those players can't be claimed by another team in this period.

In some dynasties, practice squad players (referred as DTS) can be designated for up to the player's first 3 years. He is no longer eligable for this after 3 years in the league OR if he was ever on an active roster in the league. There is a limit set for the practice-squad roster size and those players can't be claimed by another team in this period.

Thanks Big John

Nobody else uses pratice squads?

Thanks Big John

Nobody else uses pratice squads?

Every dynasty league I play in uses them. 1 has a 3 roster squad, 1 a 4 roster squad, and the 3rd a 5 roster squad (all 3 leagues are start 11 IDP leagues). The league with the 3 roster squad allows only rookies to be placed there. The 4 and 5 roster leagues allow 2nd year players to be rostered as well as rookies. All 3 leagues require that once players are placed on the practice squad that they can be activated to the active roster but can not be sent back down once activated. All 3 leagues also state that once a player is activated that roster spot on the squad is lost for the year. 2 of the leagues require that when PS players are involved in a trade that they may either placed on the acquiring teams active roster or PS, the third states that PS players traded must be activated. None of the leagues allow raiding of practice squads by other owners.

IMO, some kind of practice squad is required for dynasty leagues unless rosters are so large that they will accomodate developmental players to be actively rostered without affecting necessary depth - but the problem with excessively large rosters is that teams can use them to hoard vet players. The practice squad is a nice compromise between not having room to roster developing players and having excessive roster sizes that invite abuse and reduce WW pickings significantly.

IMO, some kind of practice squad is required for dynasty leagues unless rosters are so large that they will accomodate developmental players to be actively rostered without affecting necessary depth - but the problem with excessively large rosters is that teams can use them to hoard vet players. The practice squad is a nice compromise between not having room to roster developing players and having excessive roster sizes that invite abuse and reduce WW pickings significantly.

That's a good point. In my dynasty league, we've run into that problem (22 man roster, no developmental squad). The WW had very little talent, so the below average teams couldn't take advantage of it. We tried to correct that this year by having all teams cut down to 16 before the annual draft with rookies, and will have a 20 man roster going forward this year. I think our efforts had some success, but not as much as some of us hoped. The cut players tended to be aged vets or the developmental-types that a dynasty league should encourage.

We'll have to let our experiment ride for this year, but I think I'll propose a new system similar to those above for next year.

Do the websites you guys use have this as a feature? If so, what site are you using. I would like to do a PS, but i'm not sure my league could handle it unless it is fairly simple. :D

mdl.com has nadled practice squads (taxi squads) for a while now. It's a simple to use as clicking on the taxi squd button, clicking on the player(s) that you want assigned, and clicking on the button at the bottom. Players assigned to the taxi squad will be listed below players on the active roster in thier own category. Activating players is just as easy.