[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fencing Company - Is this Normal?

SheikYerbuti

Here's the timeline:

May 30th - I agree on a price with a fencing company. I sign contract. I give them 50%. They say "2-3 weeks to get the material in and get to your job". Smiles and handshakes.

June 15th - No word. I call them. They tell me the materials are in. They'll call me next week to schedule.

July 2nd - No word, no call, no nothing. I call them again and say "Suffering succotash!? Where's my fence??". The guy says "We'll have your fence done by the end of the week, no problem".

It's now Thursday. No call. Nothing. Should I:

1. Call again and ask nicely what the deal is.

2. Go over there and idly threaten to take back my deposit but then be talked down.

3. Go over there and demand my deposit back and start the whole process over with another fencing company and lose the entire summer.

4. Puddy.

I just can't imagine worse customer service than this. Take my money and forget that I'm alive? Wow. Or is this just standard for the industry?

I never issue idle threats with vendors. Call them and tell them exactly what you are prepared to do, but for sure be ready to follow through. Tell them that they've been sitting on your deposit long enough, and that if the fence is not completed within a week, that you will consider the contract breached, and that you will take the materials that you've already paid for, and hire someone else to complete the project. If they don't respond, then do exactly what you've threatened to do.

The guy we had do our fence was great. Quoted a price, showed up the following Saturday and the job was done by Sunday morning. Only about 150 feet of fence I believe, but he was quick, did quality work and was very reasonable priced.

Your situation sounds more like the contractor we had to deal with through our insurance company when he had some water damage. Ugghh that was a pain.

Not sure how much fencing you are having done or what type, but this certainly does not sound typical.

On second thought, instead of calling them, you need to quickly send them a certified letter witnessed by notary public telling them that if they don't complete the fence in a week that you are pulling the job and giving it to someone else that can live up to their promises.

What kind of fence is it? Is it a simple chain link, wooden, cast aluminum, concrete plank, wrought iron? The reason I ask, if it is just chain link or wooden picket, any reputable fencing company should have those materials readily available, so you've probably gotten a hold of a shiester. He is probably behind on his bills, and used your deposit to pay for the labor on the last fence he installed and is waiting on the another deposit from someone else to finance the labor to install yours.

If it is cast aluminum, concrete plank or wrought iron, then the delay for materials is somewhat understandable, and it takes a little bit more than regular laborers to put up, so he may be waiting for someone that is qualified to finish another job.

If the weather has been anything like it has around here, and rained every other day for the last month, then he is probably way behind due to weather conditions, which sucks, but is part of construction.

What type of fence is it, and what has the weather been like?

What kind of fence is it? Is it a simple chain link, wooden, cast aluminum, concrete plank, wrought iron? The reason I ask, if it is just chain link or wooden picket, any reputable fencing company should have those materials readily available, so you've probably gotten a hold of a shiester. He is probably behind on his bills, and used your deposit to pay for the labor on the last fence he installed and is waiting on the another deposit from someone else to finance the labor to install yours.

If it is cast aluminum, concrete plank or wrought iron, then the delay for materials is somewhat understandable, and it takes a little bit more than regular laborers to put up, so he may be waiting for someone that is qualified to finish another job.

If the weather has been anything like it has around here, and rained every other day for the last month, then he is probably way behind due to weather conditions, which sucks, but is part of construction.

Good info here. :D

Here's the timeline:

May 30th - I agree on a price with a fencing company. I sign contract. I give them 50%. They say "2-3 weeks to get the material in and get to your job". Smiles and handshakes.

June 15th - No word. I call them. They tell me the materials are in. They'll call me next week to schedule.

July 2nd - No word, no call, no nothing. I call them again and say "Suffering succotash!? Where's my fence??". The guy says "We'll have your fence done by the end of the week, no problem".

2. Go over there and idly threaten to take back my deposit but then be talked down.

3. Go over there and demand my deposit back and start the whole process over with another fencing company and lose the entire summer.

4. Puddy.

I just can't imagine worse customer service than this. Take my money and forget that I'm alive? Wow. Or is this just standard for the industry?

all that for a sword with a rubber tip at the end of it that you use to fight another guy with ,as he wears white overalls and wears a colander for a mask ?

:D

Here's the timeline:

4. Puddy.

Might want to look at that contract thing. Any timeframe on it?

It's 100 feet of vinyl fencing, 6 feet high with a gate off the back. The weather's been a little rainy, but only on the 4th, which was a holiday anyway. We went over today and talked to the dispacher. He told me that they're backed up, and whoever told me 2-3 weeks had no right to tell me that. They said their standard wait is 4-6 weeks. I said if I had known that I would have taken the job to another company. Anyway, the guy gave me a written guarantee that the job would be done within the next 7 days or I get a full refund. It was even printed on company letterhead, which makes me feel really good about the whole thing. . . .

What I don't understand is this: If you're backlogged, a 30 second phone call and an apology would really go a long way toward looking like you give a rat's ass to your customers. . .

What I don't understand is this: If you're backlogged, a 30 second phone call and an apology would really go a long way toward looking like you give a rat's ass to your customers. . .

Can we assume that you dealt with a sales weasel? If that is the case, then once you have signed on the dotted line they are on to sell the next guy. Companies often have this type of problem with the sales weasel dynamic.

Had a similar thing happen with a company that I hired to do leaders, gutters and facia board. I signed the contract in early Novemeber. They told me it would be done within a month, and that was on the contract. Then we had a run of bad weather... by late January, I started to get p-o'd. I told the guy, "Look, I understand the bad weather thing, just pick up the phone and let me know, OK?" He says sure... February comes and goes... no phone call. Now, when I call him, he isn't "in the office". March is now gone... and I leave a message with the secretary... and just said to tell your boss I'm beginning the procedures to sue his hiney. Finally, he calls me back... and after arguing with me over how much I paid as a deposit, agrees to refund my money.

Funny thing was, he said he still wanted to do the job... I wasn't having any part of that, and told him another company had already finished the job, since he didn't return my phone calls. Five months, and this guy can't get to my house for a one day job? Personally, I would cancel the contract and find another fencing company. If a problem arose with the fence... it might take these idiots a year to show up to fix it.

By the way.... what does vinyl fencing run these days? Someone just told me $80 a section... is that about right?

By the way.... what does vinyl fencing run these days? Someone just told me $80 a section... is that about right?

We found some decent full privacy vinyl stuff at Home Depot and Lowes for around $50 per panel (6'x6'). Some of the higher end stuff was over $120 per panel. Of course, there are posts that have to be cemented into the ground, plus the caps for the tops of the posts, plus a gate, plus installation, plus this plus that plus the other thing. . .

Bottom line is, we're paying about $30 per linear foot soup to nuts. . .that is, if they ever come out and build the f%@#*$g thing.

We found some decent full privacy vinyl stuff at Home Depot and Lowes for around $50 per panel (6'x6'). Some of the higher end stuff was over $120 per panel. Of course, there are posts that have to be cemented into the ground, plus the caps for the tops of the posts, plus a gate, plus installation, plus this plus that plus the other thing. . .

Bottom line is, we're paying about $30 per linear foot soup to nuts. . .that is, if they ever come out and build the f%@#*$g thing.

i forget the name of the company but they are up on Rt 40 just past the crappy mall there in egg harbor twp...when i think of their name(or ask my dad) i will let you know...

i forget the name of the company but they are up on Rt 40 just past the crappy mall there in egg harbor twp...when i think of their name(or ask my dad) i will let you know...

Where are you from Keg? If you're thinking of RAC fencing (which is just up Rt. 40 past the crappy Shore Mall), they're the guys sticking it up my. . .oh, I mean builing my fence.

Same thing happened with us..Im in north NJ..They kept blaming the rain and delays from other jobs..They eventually came and did the job but its frustrating..It will take a long time getting your deposit back IMO..Once you give that they got you by the balls. Just wait it out and they will come.

Edited by whomper

Where are you from Keg? If you're thinking of RAC fencing (which is just up Rt. 40 past the crappy Shore Mall), they're the guys sticking it up my. . .oh, I mean builing my fence.

yeah thats it....and I wasnt going to recommend them :D

if you decide to get your money back let me know and I will see who i can turn you onto....

I am from the Bridgeton area originally but my dad lives in Buena and my mom in Millville and I have lots of family in the vineland area...i know South Jersey pretty much like the back of my hand

Not to change the story, but ilive in Ventnor, where are you?