[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have to Keep Four of These Guys...Not Easy

In our league, we can keep any player drafted in the fourth round or later for a period of three years, including their draft year. The typical studs are available every year in the draft (LT, peyton, sJax, chad John, palmer). I have to start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex (wr or rb), 1 te, 1 k, 1 dst.

I have one no-brainer keeper and a bunch of tweeners. Help me sort out this mess.

No brainer - Ced Benson

Rest of my possible keepers

QB - J.Cutler (can keep him for three more years)

RB - L.Betts (can keep him 2 more years)

WR - D.Stallworth (2 more)

WR - M.Clayton (2 more)

WR - J.Cotchery (3 more)

WR - G.Jennings (3 more)

TE - V.Davis (2 more years)

My instinct is to keep the following

C.Benson

V.Davis

L.Betts (I see him as a big upside guy and possibly traded or starting when Portis goes down)

J.Cotchery (I am in the minority..but think he is the most consistent of the other tweeners. Clayton is the other intriguing guy)

Obviously...Cutler would be the other consideration. However, he probably would not start for me this year.

Thoughts?

Benson (no brainer)

Davis ( Lots of upside for the position)

Cotchery ( May be the most talented WR on that team)

Jennings (You dont have to keep him next year when Favre retires but I see big things for him this year)

Whats to say you cant draft Betts back? My guess is you will find someone later in the draft that will be a more logical keeper next season.

Cedric Benson - stud

Vernon Davis - stud

Cotchery - great wide on a team that will need to throw and now has a running game to keep teams honest. Decent QB depth and very good wide opposite him.

Jennings - great talent, but that could all change with Favre. I don't like the QB depth here - so he scares me a little - he might be the best of the cats remaining.

Betts - could be put in instead of Jennings - but only if you have good depth. This would be an investment. Could be hugh (similar to Turner if he was traded this year) or frustrating (Turner this year)

I like Cutler.

don't keep QBs, too many out there

edit to add:I like Cutler as well, I just don't believe in keeping QBs, keep the other positions and redraft the QB or get another similar one

Edited by Muggsy

RB- Benson

WR - M.Clayton

WR - J.Cotchery

TE - V.Davis

Maybe Cutler but QBs are plentiful and many will be rated higher

Betts only has value when/if Portis gets hurt. I'd rather have a guy with tangible value, not that Cotchery has much.

I'm also assuming that's Mark not Michael Clayton

Edited by Zooty

Benson (no brainer)

Davis ( Lots of upside for the position)

Cotchery ( May be the most talented WR on that team)

Jennings (You dont have to keep him next year when Favre retires but I see big things for him this year)

Whats to say you cant draft Betts back? My guess is you will find someone later in the draft that will be a more logical keeper next season.

Do this...you must. :D

Do you have to keep 4 or could you keep 3 and get a draft pick instead?

Edited by Asskickas

Zooty - Yes...I am referring to Mark Clayton not Mike Clayton. I should have made that clear.

Asskickas - Unfortunately, I have to keep four. I cannot throw a keeper back for a draft pick, however, I see the sense in what you are saying as I do not have no-brainer choices.

So far..the consenus seems to be Benson, Davis, and Cotchery. The debate is whether to keep Mark Clayton or Jennings as most Huddlers have not felt keeping Betts as I have suggested makes any sense.

Other thoughts?

Zooty - Yes...I am referring to Mark Clayton not Mike Clayton.

So far..the consenus seems to be Benson, Davis, and Cotchery. The debate is whether to keep Mark Clayton or Jennings as most Huddlers have not felt keeping Betts as I have suggested makes any sense.

Other thoughts?

This surprises me.

Figuring that Benson & Davis are in, you have 2 slots for 3 WRs

I would have

1-Mark Clayton

2- Jennings

3- Cotchery

2 and 3 are probably personal preference but does everyone have Mark Clayton 3rd from this group? Am I over-valuing him or did people think it was Mike Clayton? Am I under-valuing Cotchery?

Sorry for the slight hi-jack but it should help your decision.

Edited by Zooty

Quite the opposite Zooty. I welcome the discussion. It will help me sort out the decision. I would only ask that others consider the possibility of Betts as a replacement for one of the two open keeper slots that are currently slated for one of these three receivers.

Really tough quandry. I agree that Benson & Davis are givens. After that you have a real toss up.

Mark Clayton looks like he'll morph into a legit #1 WR in the NFL, but his success is tied directly to McNair's health & longevity. That's dicey.

Jennings is in a very similar situation. While he won't surpass Driver, he could be Driver's heir apparent. But he's tied to Favre's longevity. That's also dicey.

Cotchery is a very solid play. He may end up as a 1A/1B type WR with Coles and his QB situation is more stable as far as the next couple of years.

A darkhorse in this keeper sweepstakes is Cutler. He's shown that he has incredible physical tools & brains to match, and he's playing in a Shanahan offense. If keepers were only for this year and maybe next, I'd throw him out for his inexperience and where he is on the learning curve. But having him for 3 more years in this type of a keeper league? That's really tempting.

If I were in your spot, I believe I'd definitely keep Benson, Davis, & Cotchery, and then shop the other 3 guys to see if you can recoup anything for them. If not - man, it's roll the dice time. If you're looking for a QB who may end up being studly on the cheap, Cutler isn't a bad option. Otherwise Clayton & Jennings are a real coin flip. Both have shown signs of being the real deal, but have similar qualifiers that can't be ignored.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Would Dante Stallworth bump any of these receivers off the keeper list? I did not include him earlier because I had Cotchery, Clayton, and Jennings ranked much higher. Just sanity checking my thoughts.

Would Dante Stallworth bump any of these receivers off the keeper list? I did not include him earlier because I had Cotchery, Clayton, and Jennings ranked much higher. Just sanity checking my thoughts.

No, Stallworth wouldn't supercede any of the guys you listed above.

No way you keep Stallworth.

#1. Benson

#2. Davis

#3. Cotchery = Better Offense and with T.J. now there it will open up even more.

#4.Clayton = He is now the #1 WR there. Mason is basically the #2. My one worry is will they give him enough opportunities?

I understand the Clayton is the #1 on Baltimore. It just seemed like last year there were many games where he would end up with six catches for 40 yards. Perhaps having an improved running game with McGahee will help Clayton.

Thoughts on Clayton vs. Jennings vs Cotchery?