[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best athlete - NO Number

isleseeya

Lol azello ..coming to america ..great scene

As for x games , I think tony hawk put it all on the map thouygh with skateboarding ..I do not remember any x game or x game popularity before tony hawk

Thats like saying Barry Sanders put runningbacks on the map.

THe Zephyr Skate Team originated X games movement. Before them only stiffs that rode in and out of cones. Alva and the crew were the first to ride empty pools and saw the streets as a huge course for them, all of this lead to half pipes and freestyle.

Hawk was this generations best, who happened to ride at a time when mainstreem media happened to take notice.

Check out Dogtown and Z Boys... Tony Hawk is in the documentry saying without the Z Boys, he wouldnt be where he is...

Heck, Stacik started Powell skateboards and the skate team. He's also the guy who noticed the potential in Hawk and brought him on board in his early teens.

Thats like saying Barry Sanders put runningbacks on the map.

THe Zephyr Skate Team originated X games movement. Before them only stiffs that rode in and out of cones. Alva and the crew were the first to ride empty pools and saw the streets as a huge course for them, all of this lead to half pipes and freestyle.

Hawk was this generations best, who happened to ride at a time when mainstreem media happened to take notice.

Check out Dogtown and Z Boys... Tony Hawk is in the documentry saying without the Z Boys, he wouldnt be where he is...

Heck, Stacik started Powell skateboards and the skate team. He's also the guy who noticed the potential in Hawk and brought him on board in his early teens.

That's true, but guys like Alva and Peralta didn't even have NEAR the level of talent of some of the later ones (Hawk, Hosoi, Vallely). The NFL had Jim Brown and Walter Payton before Barry Sanders. The level of talent in pro skating was definitely higher in the '80s and '90s than in the '70s.

That's true, but guys like Alva and Peralta didn't even have NEAR the level of talent of some of the later ones (Hawk, Hosoi, Vallely). The NFL had Jim Brown and Walter Payton before Barry Sanders. The level of talent in pro skating was definitely higher in the '80s and '90s than in the '70s.

I don't think its a difference in a level of talent... Alva and Co were creating everything from scratch... Before them, there was no such thing as an ollie... The Zephyr Team wrote the book on skating imo. They also did it on lesser boards, trucks and wheels. If you look at what the Zephyr team gave to skating, its massive. Tony Hawk is an all-time great, but I don't think he's cut and dry the best athlete in skating. He's one of them. I'll put Alva 1A Hawk 1B.

And if its X Games in general, Mat Hoffman was unstoppable in the late 80's early 90's, then Mirra came along and is head and shoulders above everyone else for what he does.

Hell, Travis Pastrona does things that no one else on the planet can do...

I don't think its a difference in a level of talent... Alva and Co were creating everything from scratch... Before them, there was no such thing as an ollie...

That's a good point, especially with regard to the equipment.

Tony Hawk is an all-time great, but I don't think he's cut and dry the best athlete in skating. He's one of them. I'll put Alva 1A Hawk 1B.

I disagree with that. Hawk did things on vert 15 years ago that most people still can't do. He was also incredibly competitive in street competitions and I can't think of anybody who's been as proficient in both. He's also still incredibly competitive for a guy his age. I'd say that Hawk is the Wayne Gretzky of skating, with Alva being Gordie Howe.

I'd say that Hawk is the Wayne Gretzky of skating, with Alva being Gordie Howe.

I'd agree, but Alva gets bonus points for creating the entire scene. I don't think anyone had thought about taking aboard into a pool. Without him I think skateboards get thrown into childrens toys next to the hula hoop.

This can be discussed to no end, but I don't think a clear cut winner is out there.

I'd agree, but Alva gets bonus points for creating the entire scene. I don't think anyone had thought about taking aboard into a pool. Without him I think skateboards get thrown into childrens toys next to the hula hoop.

Absolutely. In addition, the freestyle skaters of the '70s were not only freakishly innovative, but also heavily-influenced street skating in the '80s.

And speaking of street, one could not only argue that Mike Vallely was a true bad-ass in that field, but his Barnyard deck was revolutionary. Not only did it revolutionize street, but it became the blueprint for subsequent designs used by almost everybody.

Edited by Bill Swerski

And speaking of street, one could not only argue that Mike Vallely was a true bad-ass in that field, but his Barnyard deck was revolutionary. Not only did it revolutionize street, but it became the blueprint for subsequent designs used by almost everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfHSK-qdmQ

I have nothing but love for Mike Valley. Everytime I see this video I cant help but smile.