[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cuban Pork

SheikYerbuti

When I lived in New York City, I used to go to a little hole in the wall on 108th and Broadway called La Rosita. Every Friday they had a special Cuban Pork. It was unreal. It was juicy, and garlicy, it fell apart when you took the fork to it. They served it with rice and beans. I once asked the chef how he made it. Naturally, he didn't speak a word of English, and my Spanish kinda sucks. I got the basics out of him (garlic, white wine, adobo), and I tried making it a few times at home with nowhere near the results. Sadly, last time I was in the city I stopped by and the waitress said they were closing in a few weeks. The rent was just too high to stay afloat.

Any of the resident chefs ever come across this dish? Any tricks on making it?

I love cuban food and cuban heroes ...have a restaurant by my office in midtown manhattan called havana's ...great food ..sorry though as I only know how to eat it and not cook it

Im a big fan of the Cubano..There is a place on 38th between 5th and 6th called Havana that has a good cuban sandwich

Im not sure if this is the same as you had but its slow roasted pork with interesting seasoning in it.

In the Movie "Once upon a time in Mexico" Depp orders a dish called Puerco Pibil. On the DVD the director makes it but the recipe is lacking. I found this on the innernets and made it once. It was really good but I had to order the Annatto seed online since they aren't easy to find in smaller areas.

Puerco Pibil

Serves 4 - Preparation and cooking time - 4 hours 15 minutes

Ingredients

2 1/2 lb Lean Pork (from the leg)

2 1/2 tbsp Annatto Seeds

1 teasp Cumin Seeds

2 teasp Black Peppercorns

4 Allspice Berries

1/2 teasp Cloves

1 Habañero Chilli Pepper, deseeded and chopped

4fl.oz. Orange Juice

3fl.oz. White Vinegar

Salt

4 Garlic Cloves

The juice of 3 Lemons

A splash of the finest Tequila

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Place the annatto, cumin, peppercorns, allspice and cloves in a grinder or use a mortar and pestle, and grind to a fine powder.

2. Transfer the ground spices to a blender or food processor together with the orange juice, vinegar, salt and garlic and blend until smooth.

3. Add lemon juice and tequila and blend again briefly.

4. Cut pork into 2-inch cubes and place in large mixing bowl together with the sauce. Mix well with your hands until the meat is well coated.

5. Line roasting pan with aluminium foil, add entire contents of the mixing bowl then cover very tightly with more foil. Traditionally, banana leaves are used to line the roasting tin and more placed over the meat, but always put extra foil on the top and make sure it is sealed well otherwise it will burn. Roast for 4 hours.

enjoy!

Edited by Cunning Linguist

I love cuban food and cuban heroes ...have a restaurant by my office in midtown manhattan called havana's ...great food ..sorry though as I only know how to eat it and not cook it

Im a big fan of the Cubano..There is a place on 38th between 5th and 6th called Havana that has a good cuban sandwich

So... making plans for your 2nd date ??