[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best in his sport

Polecat

Ruth hit more home runs that the majority of teams did. he was a good pitcher as well. He is by far the best baseball player ever, and my opinion had the biggest gap of any player in his time, to any other sport, and any player in their time. .

What Ruth did would be like Gretsky scoring all those goals, and playing goalie at the same time. He doesnt compare to Babe.

To make this argument float the Babe would have to pitch and play centerfield at the same time. Then the Babe would have to amass more home runs or wins than anyone else, which he has neither. Not to take anything away from the Babe, I think I would have been a fan of his back in the day. To but say Gretzky would have to play goalie and score at the same time is just silly.

Ruth hit more home runs that the majority of teams did. he was a good pitcher as well. He is by far the best baseball player ever, and my opinion had the biggest gap of any player in his time, to any other sport, and any player in their time. .

well, i agree with that -- babe ruth towered over his sport, in his era, like no one else in any of the major team sports, period. but i'm not sure how well this squares with your "reasoning" for labeling jimmy rollins and michael young as better players than cal ripken jr.

it seems like most folks agree with ruth and gretzky, and that with football it's really just impossible to say. as far as the NBA....wilt was the most dominant, but he always folded when he was under the most pressure. that is why jordan stands out to me. he was simply on another plane when it mattered most. he not only had the most freakish athletic talents of any guard to ever play the game, his competitiveness and grace under pressure added to that talent made him damn near unbeatable in his prime.

Edited by Azazello1313

• 1 month later...
Cycling - Eddie Merckx

Eddie Merckx was no shrinking violet when it came to blowing his own horn, but I just recently read that he thought Fausto Coppi might very well have been better than him.

Jim Brown, if not for the fact that his career was limited in number of years. Brown probably could have been more than just the greatest football player too. He was definitely one of, if not the greatest lacrosse players as well. All in all, probably the greatest athlete ever.

Greatest football player ever: John Unitas. He changed how the game was played, viewed, watched and won.