[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft picks - Who will be the busts?

peepinmofo

Who exactly is HUGH?? Did you mean huge? And do I still need to fill you in on whether or not Im literate? Cmon....lets atleast be somewhat serious here. Youre making some big deal out of Peterson being a power back and having all this size......maybe in college. So was Cedric Benson. Your point? Look, 220 is NOT big in the NFL. Especially at 6'1 or even 6'2. The guy is NOT 6'2 by the way, and both of these guys right now are being listed at 217lbs. Peterson is a couple of inches taller, so if anything he's slighter in build. He's very ripped, but big and powerful in the NFL is not what he is or he'll be. And again......Emmitt and Barry as some basis of comparison in any way at all right now is just ridiculous. I dont care if they played their entire careers on friggin' Italian marble, it wouldnt have mattered. Emmitt ran behind by far the most dominant Oline in the history of football, and Barry was the slickest, most elusive joker the world has ever seen......and neither guy was SIX FEET TWO.

Not 6'2? Oh really? Here are the measurements from their respective final college seasons:

Full Name: Adrian Peterson

Born: March 21, 1985

Hometown: Palestine, TX

Height: 6-2

Weight: 218 lbs. Age: 22

Pos: RB

Class: Junior

And Caddy:

Full Name: Carnell Williams

Born: April 21, 1982

Hometown: Attalla, AL

Height: 5-11

Weight: 204 lbs. Age: 23

Class: Senior

When AP is in his third year he'll be 225 easy. That's about the same as LJ. Wait is LJ powerful? :D

And for the second time, I'm not comparing him to Smith and Sanders. I'm comparing the playing surfaces, which are very similar. How about Robert Smith's playing surface? Will that help?

Wow, this is deja vu all over again.

Again, don't disagree with the call as Ginn being a potential flop, but the "think Ashlie Lelie" statement is unequivocally inane. OK, we get it, Ashlie Lelie was/is a one-dimensional player. But not the same dimension as Ginn. Please stop confusing us, thanks.

You're right. Now that I look at each player's scouting report before entering the pros, their games don't look at all alike. My comparison is totally inane and out of line. My bad.

Scouting report, Ashley Lelie

6'-2 5/8"

197 lbs

4.40 40 yd dash

Positives:

Exceptional athlete with outstanding body control and very good ball skills

Adjusts to the off-line throw well and can make the circus catch

Has deceptive speed and a stride that eats up ground. Is a deep and home-run threat.

Made clutch, great and big plays

Superproductive in 2001

Negatives:

Does not always do a good job of getting quick separation.

Is more fast and fluid than sudden and explosively quck.

Is not that aggressive in a crowd and can be muscled and jostled.

Has too many drops all over the field for a player with his hands

Is not a polished route runner and is mostly a vertical receiver.

Scouting report, Tedd Gin Jr.

6'-0"

180 lbs

4.38 40 yd dash

Positives:

Can track, adjust and jump for the ball

Gets to top speed in a hurry and maintains acceleration throughout his routes

is very effective at making the over-the-shoulder grabs

Has the speed to stretch the field and separate, showing steady acceleration to uncover

Negatives:

lacking the bulk or strength to consistently beat press coverage

his concentration tends to be a bit inconsistent, as he hears the sounds of the defender's footsteps working over the middle

will drop a few when he tries to run before grasping the ball

Lacks the strength to power his way through the press

he runs so fast he might miss a cut or look sloppy trying to plant and drive

Edited by Bronco Billy

Robert Smith...there's a blast from the past. Some people here may think you're talking about The Cure.

LOL

Wait...aren't we? :D

Maybe we are talking about HUGH Green, that ol' moran (huddlespeak applied and implied).

Scouting report, Tedd Gin Jr.

6'-0"

180 lbs

4.38 40 yd dash

Positives:

Can track, adjust and jump for the ball

Gets to top speed in a hurry and maintains acceleration throughout his routes

is very effective at making the over-the-shoulder grabs

Has the speed to stretch the field and separate, showing steady acceleration to uncover

Negatives:

lacking the bulk or strength to consistently beat press coverage

his concentration tends to be a bit inconsistent, as he hears the sounds of the defender's footsteps working over the middle

will drop a few when he tries to run before grasping the ball

Lacks the strength to power his way through the press

he runs so fast he might miss a cut or look sloppy trying to plant and drive

In other words, he is a football player who is afraid of getting hit! Why not just write that, instead of sugarcoating it...?

Not 6'2? Oh really? Here are the measurements from their respective final college seasons:

Full Name: Adrian Peterson

Born: March 21, 1985

Hometown: Palestine, TX

Height: 6-2

Weight: 218 lbs. Age: 22

Class: Junior

And Caddy:

Full Name: Carnell Williams

Born: April 21, 1982

Hometown: Attalla, AL

Height: 5-11

Weight: 204 lbs. Age: 23

Class: Senior

When AP is in his third year he'll be 225 easy. That's about the same as LJ. Wait is LJ powerful? :D

And for the second time, I'm not comparing him to Smith and Sanders. I'm comparing the playing surfaces, which are very similar. How about Robert Smith's playing surface? Will that help?

Im not sure what he'll weigh in his 3rd year. Im not trying to look that far ahead and speculate on his weight, but just to compare him to another couple of NFL backs of atleast similar height, and for size purposes only, lets go first with Steven Jackson. Jackson is 6'2 and 231....those are his listed measureables at NFL.com. Pretty good size for an NFL power back obviously. Interestingly enough, Jackson was weighed at the NFL scouting combine in 2004 at 241 and ran a 4.45 40. So he's actually LOST 10 pounds to be the player he is in the league today. He didnt need to beef up at all to be a power player. Larry Johnson came into the league at 228. He's now listed on NFL.com at 230. He's also listed at 6'1, so another tall back. He's definitely not a classic power runner because he's not looking to just run everyone over. Eluding is option 1 for LJ, and pounding is clearly option 2. A guy's legs are going to determine the best weight for him to play at. If he doesnt have the legs of a 230lb guy, he better not try to weigh 230. Expecting to have to carry extra weight in the NFL as a back is not a good idea imo, and may explain some of Cadillac's injury problems. If he really weighed 205 coming out, and is now listed as 217 and still wants to run people over, then we're not going to be talking about him for very long. He'll need to keep his weight around 210 and take on less hits.

Look, there are plenty of great examples of backs who play on turf who stay healthy. The one common denominator youd probably find with them is that most werent power players and theyve been successful at avoiding big hits whenever possible. All I ever hear these experts say about AD is that he's this unbelievable power runner, and yes, with speed. His skills are certainly NOT unique to the NFL. Power AND speed are a scary combination in many ways, but its a combo that can lead to injury. Just that simple. Im not hoping the guy has an NFL career littered with injuries, but at his size, he'll have to be less of a power player and more of an elusive one to last. And Im not sure that's his strongsuit. His 3 years in college just doesnt offer up a very good trend. His freshman year, Peterson had 339 carries for 1925yds, then fell to 220 and 1108 his 2nd year, and down to 188 and 1012 his final year. That's just not a positive trend, bottom line. Can he change that in the league? Certainly, but he'll have to adjust to the league, and Im not sure adding a bunch of weight is the answer.

Edited by hitch

I see some valid points on both sides of the AD arguement. First, I want to start by saying you can't compare AD and Caddy. AD was the best RB prospect to come out of highschool since Tony Dorsett. If he would have had a healthy 3 years at OU he probably would have been the #1 pick. As far as talent is concerned you can't compare the two. The main reason I see AD being successful is because of Chester Taylor. Of course this may not translate into fantasy success, but I believe the Vikings will keep his carries in check.

Im not sure what he'll weigh in his 3rd year. Im not trying to look that far ahead and speculate on his weight, but just to compare him to another couple of NFL backs of atleast similar height, and for size purposes only, lets go first with Steven Jackson. Jackson is 6'2 and 231....those are his listed measureables at NFL.com. Pretty good size for an NFL power back obviously. Interestingly enough, Jackson was weighed at the NFL scouting combine in 2004 at 241 and ran a 4.45 40. So he's actually LOST 10 pounds to be the player he is in the league today. He didnt need to beef up at all to be a power player. Larry Johnson came into the league at 228. He's now listed on NFL.com at 230. He's also listed at 6'1, so another tall back. He's definitely not a classic power runner because he's not looking to just run everyone over. Eluding is option 1 for LJ, and pounding is clearly option 2. A guy's legs are going to determine the best weight for him to play at. If he doesnt have the legs of a 230lb guy, he better not try to weigh 230. Expecting to have to carry extra weight in the NFL as a back is not a good idea imo, and may explain some of Cadillac's injury problems. If he really weighed 205 coming out, and is now listed as 217 and still wants to run people over, then we're not going to be talking about him for very long. He'll need to keep his weight around 210 and take on less hits.

Look, there are plenty of great examples of backs who play on turf who stay healthy. The one common denominator youd probably find with them is that most werent power players and theyve been successful at avoiding big hits whenever possible. All I ever hear these experts say about AD is that he's this unbelievable power runner, and yes, with speed. His skills are certainly NOT unique to the NFL. Power AND speed are a scary combination in many ways, but its a combo that can lead to injury. Just that simple. Im not hoping the guy has an NFL career littered with injuries, but at his size, he'll have to be less of a power player and more of an elusive one to last. And Im not sure that's his strongsuit. His 3 years in college just doesnt offer up a very good trend. His freshman year, Peterson had 339 carries for 1925yds, then fell to 220 and 1108 his 2nd year, and down to 188 and 1012 his final year. That's just not a positive trend, bottom line. Can he change that in the league? Certainly, but he'll have to adjust to the league, and Im not sure adding a bunch of weight is the answer.

One of the keys to success for great runners, is being able to elude LBs and then punish DBs. You run around the first wave and run over the second. I don't think AD will have a problem in this area.

One of the keys to success for great runners, is being able to elude LBs and then punish DBs. You run around the first wave and run over the second. I don't think AD will have a problem in this area.

I thought one of the keys to success for a RB is to not get tackled.