[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sony cuts price of PS3

Azazello1313

:D

Sony cuts price of PS3 in North America amid weak sales

July 09, 2007: 02:44 AM EST

TOKYO, Jul. 9, 2007 (AFX International Focus) -- Sony (NYSE:SNE) Corp has slashed the price of the 60-gigabyte model of its PlayStation 3 game console in North America by 100 US dollars to 499 dollars, the game unit of the Japanese electronics giant said Monday.

Knock off another C-note and I'll buy one. Played a baseball game on a PS3 hooked up to my buddy's 62-inch plasma and it was f'n awesome. Can't justify dropping five bills on one, tho. :D

i read that it doesn't upscale DVDs to HD resolution. is that bad? :D

yeah, i don't believe it upconverts standard-def DVDs beyond progressive scan 480p, which somewhat limits its utility as a basic DVD player. although, i have to say...i've got an OPPO upconverting DVD player, and i honestly don't see much difference in picture quality from when it's pushing 1080i versus 480p. upconverting from a SD source like a DVD....there's really not much more you can squeeze out of that signal.

yeah, i don't believe it upconverts standard-def DVDs beyond progressive scan 480p, which somewhat limits its utility as a basic DVD player. although, i have to say...i've got an OPPO upconverting DVD player, and i honestly don't see much difference in picture quality from when it's pushing 1080i versus 480p. upconverting from a SD source like a DVD....there's really not much more you can squeeze out of that signal.

that leads to another question about plasmas.....still watching a tube here, would i notice a difference between the 1080 and 720?

A good rule for this type of stuff: Garbage In = Garbage Out, especially at the consumer level.

From the sound of it i should go out and buy a new PS2...great value and many games cheap...and NEW games still being made for it...

Exactly. . .for about 1/3 the price of just the PS3 console, you can get a PS2 and a whole library of fantastic games.

Exactly. . .for about 1/3 the price of just the PS3 console, you can get a PS2 and a whole library of fantastic games.

that's an option...but you can also buy a ps3, have all the whole library of fantastic ps2 games available, play blu-rays, AND play the badass ps3 games once they start rolling out.

that's an option...but you can also buy a ps3, have all the whole library of fantastic ps2 games available, play blu-rays, AND play the badass ps3 games once they start rolling out.

Meh, I've got about 20 unplayed PS2 games waiting to be opened, all with great reviews. So, I'd rather keep $350 in my pocket and not be able to watch blu-rays. I'll wait 3 or 4 years to get the PS3, when it's < $200 and the games are cheap.

there is a firmware upgrade that allows for upconverting....

Upscaling game or DVD output

You can now upscale the video content of PlayStation® format software, PlayStation®2 format software, and DVDs to HD resolution.

What is upscaling?

Upscaling is a feature that can be used to enable content recorded in SD resolution (480p/480i) to be displayed in HD resolution (1080p/1080i/720p). Because the video content of PlayStation® format software, PlayStation®2 format software, and commercial DVDs is recorded in SD resolution, the resolution can be raised by upscaling the video output.

Upscaling DVD output

[DVD Upscaler] has been added as an option in (BD/DVD Settings) under (Settings). You can adjust settings for upscaled output of DVDs.

* This option can be used only when the PS3™ system is set to output video at 1080p or 1080i via an HDMI or component AV cable.

Notes

* When playing copyright-protected DVD content such as the content on commercially available DVD-Video, an HDMI cable is required to upscale the video content.

* An HDTV is required to display upscaled video content at HD resolutions.

* If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].

it will upscale games and non copyright material via Component or HDMI but with commercial DVDs you will need to use an HDMI connection

i havent done this firmware upgrade yet so I cant comment on it specifically but i will be doing it soon

Edited by keggerz