[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sony cuts price of PS3

Azazello1313

that leads to another question about plasmas.....still watching a tube here, would i notice a difference between the 1080 and 720?

1080p is really ideal for upconverting regular DVD's and it's the highest standard for high-def...

720p favors sports because the lines produce sideways and 1080i favors drama movies as it produces lines interlaced into one another...

both 720p and 1080i have their places...but 1080p is top notch right now for viewing movies..

it had a firmware upgrade a month ago where you can now upscale DVD's....

so yes, it does this..

The upscale for regular DVDs is ok. It is not as good as my tv (XBR). Furthermore, if you've got a plasma or lcd that isn't to the exact specs of 720p, 1080p, etc., your tv is going to modify the signal anyway...

Upscaling at the player level is a bunch of hype, unless you paid top dollar for a good scaler.

And I'll agree with Avernus, blu-ray blows away dvd. Planet Earth on blu-ray is phenomenal!!

The upscale for regular DVDs is ok. It is not as good as my tv (XBR). Furthermore, if you've got a plasma or lcd that isn't to the exact specs of 720p, 1080p, etc., your tv is going to modify the signal anyway...

Upscaling at the player level is a bunch of hype, unless you paid top dollar for a good scaler.

And I'll agree with Avernus, blu-ray blows away dvd. Planet Earth on blu-ray is phenomenal!!

planet earth in HD is ridiculous...

and while replacing your current movies in high def would be quite expensive, I at least try to get new movies in HD...

that's about where i'm at. though i could be swayed at 5-hundy once they release new gran turismo HD.

Does a hundred bucks really make that big of a difference in a purchase decision at this price? Either you want it or you don't. Waiting a year to save a hundy seems a little odd to me :D

Does a hundred bucks really make that big of a difference in a purchase decision at this price? Either you want it or you don't. Waiting a year to save a hundy seems a little odd to me :D

If one is not a serious gamer (me-I only play ncaa football and on occasion chess) and one has children who are quite happy with a PS2, I'll gladly wait a couple of years to buy a new system if I believe the price will come down.

If one is not a serious gamer (me-I only play ncaa football and on occasion chess) and one has children who are quite happy with a PS2, I'll gladly wait a couple of years to buy a new system if I believe the price will come down.

Exactly where I am too. However, the PS3 would have to dramatically drop in price to get my attention not drop from $600 to $500.

That's what I've done. I'm pretty much the opposite of an early adopter, so a few months ago I finally traded in my old N64 & games (while I could still get some trade value for it) for a used original Xbox, and ended up paying the difference of $60. So far it's been great. You can get Xbox games now for around $10, and the kids have had a great time playing Crash Nitro Kart and Super Monkey ball, while I finally got to play Halo 2 & Forza, with the added benefit that the games will work when I finally upgrade to a 360.

Edited by Bonehand