[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mission Accomplished

HowboutthemCowboys

WASHINGTON - The boost in troop levels in Iraq has increased the cost of war there and in Afghanistan to $12 billion a month, and the total for Iraq alone is nearing a half-trillion dollars, congressional analysts say.

All told, Congress has appropriated $610 billion in war-related money since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror assaults, roughly the same as the war in Vietnam. Iraq alone has cost $450 billion.

The figures come from the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, which provides research and analysis to lawmakers.

For the 2007 budget year, CRS says, the $166 billion appropriated to the Pentagon represents a 40 percent increase over 2006.

The Vietnam War, after accounting for inflation, cost taxpayers $650 billion, according to separate CRS estimates.

The $12 billion a month "burn rate" includes $10 billion for Iraq and almost $2 billion for Afghanistan, plus other minor costs. That's higher than Pentagon estimates earlier this year of $10 billion a month for both operations. Two years ago, the average monthly cost was about $8 billion.

Among the reasons for the higher costs is the cost of repairing and replacing equipment worn out in harsh conditions or destroyed in combat.

But the estimates call into question the Pentagon's estimate that the increase in troop strength and intensifying pace of operations in Baghdad and Anbar province would cost only $5.6 billion through the end of September.

If Congress approves President Bush's pending request for another $147 billion for the budget year starting Oct. 1, the total bill for the war on terror since Sept. 11 would reach more than three-fourths of a trillion dollars, with appropriations for Iraq reaching $567 billion.

:D

The $12 billion a month "burn rate" includes $10 billion for Iraq and almost $2 billion for Afghanistan, plus other minor costs. That's higher than Pentagon estimates earlier this year of $10 billion a month for both operations. Two years ago, the average monthly cost was about $8 billion.

This part made me laugh. I guess when looking 12 billion per month virtually anything could be considered "minor costs".

I thought this was about this mission accomplished

"A progress report on Iraq will conclude that the U.S.-backed government in Baghdad has not met any of its targets for political, economic and other reform, speeding up the Bush administration's reckoning on what to do next, a U.S. official said Monday."

A burgeoning democracy indeed.

Most of that $500 billion has gone to no-bid contracts. Every individual soldier's bag of laundry costs the taxpayer $100. Yeah, $100. That's what KBR charge you. There are a lot of people getting seriously mad rich off this.

Oh goody, can I bash our country too! Way to go! Thank you terrorism nuisance!!!! I love m00slims!!!! Religion of peace and LOVE!!!!

Danny pearl, f you, shoulda been nicer!!! Dutch? Cartoons of mohammed? Have you no shame!!! PEACE AND LOVE!!!!

Vaginal circumcisn? Honor killings? Suicide bomings???? People, get with the times! This is PEACE AND LOVE!!! ROck on mohammed you 72 virgin vixon you!!! I love you bacon breath!!!!