[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

priceline.com

polksalet

Ok, we are going out of town and I looked into priceline.com . It appears the way this works is you give a price you will pay, give yoyr cc info, and then they tell you which motel it is? That sounds nuts to me. How do I know I will not be shacking with Abdul and Mustafa?

Has anyone else ever used this service?

Ok, we are going out of town and I looked into priceline.com . It appears the way this works is you give a price you will pay, give yoyr cc info, and then they tell you which motel it is? That sounds nuts to me. How do I know I will not be shacking with Abdul and Mustafa?

Depending on the city, you can pick the specific area. For example, when I go to Chicago, I can limit my choices to the Loop or the Mag Mile / whatever. Beyond that, you get a star rating. Do it enough times, and you can figure out which hotel you'll be staying in each time.

I used it a few years ago. As I remember it, you tell them how many star hotel you want. If you don't want to wind up in a Super 8, you click somewhere so you'll only be booked in a 3 star hotel or higher. Or 4 star, or whatever you like.

I used it a few weeks ago and got an Amerisuites (rated 2.5 stars by priceline) for about half of the going rate. Other then the fact that I had wanted a room with 2 queen beds and had to settle for one with one king and a pull out sofa I can't complain.

Edited by myhousekey

We've used it many times and have been happy probably 90% of the time.

Generally, the star rating that you pick is dead on and the hotel is always in the area that you want if your willing to give or take a mile.

The problems arise when you get to the hotel.

You may not get your bed choice, you may not get to choose your smoking preference, you can't upgrade rooms, etc.

Also, if you offer a price and it's rejected, the site won't let you choose that star rating again from that IP address for X amount of tiime.

Priceline is awesome, especially for hotels. If you pop in a 3-4 star rating, you'll surely get a solid hotel.

Look at this link:

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

it is a service that tracks Priceline's prices in certain cities. Click on the city you'll be visiting, and you'll get a great idea of what the 3 and 4 star hotels are in the market, and the winning bids that each hotel has honored. Pretty valuable info or you to have as you are comparing priceline rates to the rate you'd get if you booked it directly with the hotel. Some amazing deals to be had.

I have used it for car rentals with great success. I have not gotten it for hotels or airfare, but not for trying. I usually use travelocity to get the going rate, then put in 1/2 price on proceline and see what comes up.

Depending on the city, you can pick the specific area. For example, when I go to Chicago, I can limit my choices to the Loop or the Mag Mile / whatever. Beyond that, you get a star rating. Do it enough times, and you can figure out which hotel you'll be staying in each time.

Sorry....I was thinking of Hotwire, not Priceline.