[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins

matt770

Trent Green -- Getting up there in age, coming off a concussion, in a new offense, with a rookie QB who they want to be the future waiting in the wings. Seems 50/50 that he plays 16 games, and that may be optimistic. Which brings me to:

Ronnie Brown -- As goes the QB situation, so will go Brown's season. We saw how he did with a mediocre passing game to protect him last year. His high ranking must assume the QB situation will be solid, i.e., Green plays well for most of the season, forcing defenses to defend the pass as well as the run. Is that an assumption in which I can be confident enough to take Brown in the middle of the first round?? Brown may be the ultimate high risk/high reward player this year.

Chambers -- Same situation. With a healthy Green, will likely produce at his expected value. Without Green, who knows??

Green and Chambers are easy enough to pass up and let someone else draft. I think Brown is going to give owners fits in the middle to late first round when there is a drop off in value to the next RB. Take a chance and gamble your season on him, or take a "safer" RB who may have much less upside?

Why can't I edit the subject heading?? :D

It probably has to do with the ability of most FF people to be capable of spelling simple words that they ought to be very familiar with (ie - Dolphins) correctly.

The other factor might have to do something with the great fun involved in harpooning those who can't do something as easy as spelling a very few topic words correctly.

I'll take Ronnie Brown with confidence.

Drafted by Miami as the 2nd overall pick in '05, Brown is now 25 years old and entering his 3rd year in the league. His previous two years were decent, despite limited carries and playing for a horrible Dolphins team. This year he's got RB stud maker in Cam Cameron who's running the offense, along with the presence of Trent Green and a dominating defense.

If Brown is ever going to be something, this is the year.

I thought the coaching in MIA was horrible last year which really effected Ronnie's numbers. Not to mention Harrington at QB and a wet paper bag defense and sitting out 3 games due to injury. Assuming Ronnie plays 16 games I can see him putting up 1,250 rushing yards, 10 rushing TDs, 450 rec yards, and 3 rec TDs. That puts him as a late first round pick.

I'll take Ronnie Brown with confidence.

Drafted by Miami as the 2nd overall pick in '05, Brown is now 25 years old and entering his 3rd year in the league. His previous two years were decent, despite limited carries and playing for a horrible Dolphins team. This year he's got RB stud maker in Cam Cameron who's running the offense, along with the presence of Trent Green and a dominating defense.

If Brown is ever going to be something, this is the year.

You have to consider that Green just turned 37 and is not exacly a lock to set the AFC on fire. He is coming off a severe concussion and walking into a new offense. He has a serviceable WR in Chambers and a good pass catching RB in Brown but not much else to get excited about. The offensive line is worrisome, to say the least, and that cannot be ignored. And even if Green manages to stay upright, there is a second round pick waiting in the wings who they hope will be their future franchise QB. So they better win games. What happens if they start off 1-7 and the fans and media start screaming for a QB change -- this season is lost, give the kid some playing time.

So there are legit reasons to fear that Green doesn't play 16 games, which could all but kill Brown's production. He's not going to be a #1 caliber RB without a good passing game to keep defenders honest, and simply to move the ball to give him some scoring chances. Is Brown good enough to carry the entire offense? He wasn't last year. Granted this is all worst-case scenario stuff, but I still say that the conditions will have to be almost perfect for Brown to be worth a first round selection, and there is no precedent with Brown to be overly confident.

If all this wasn't bad enough, take a look at the Dolphins' schedule, particularly late in the year. They face a lot of tough run defenses, especially in FF playoff weeks. They play the NFC east, and throw in the Steelers (week 11) and Ravens (week 15 :D) Four games against the Jets and Pats (week 16 :D) will be tough too. All in all, an uphill climb for Brown to be a stud RB and worthy of a 1st round pick.

I thought the coaching in MIA was horrible last year which really effected Ronnie's numbers. Not to mention Harrington at QB and a wet paper bag defense and sitting out 3 games due to injury. Assuming Ronnie plays 16 games I can see him putting up 1,250 rushing yards, 10 rushing TDs, 450 rec yards, and 3 rec TDs. That puts him as a late first round pick.

Please explain your reasoning behind this comment. 4th best in YPG and 5th best in PPG. Seems pretty good to me.

Trent Green

Not touching him. I'd rather take a chance on somebody like Tavaris Jackson. Green is in the bottom 5 starters IMO.

Ronnie Brown

Brown will be lucky to average 15-20 carries a game. Booker could be a nice sleeper pick this year. I think by mid-season it will be a 65/35 split between Brown and Booker.

Chris Chambers

Green has never been FFL friendly to WRs. Chambers would've had more value with CPep throwing the ball. Chambers will still be top 30, though.

You have to consider that Green just turned 37 and is not exacly a lock to set the AFC on fire. He is coming off a severe concussion and walking into a new offense. He has a serviceable WR in Chambers and a good pass catching RB in Brown but not much else to get excited about. The offensive line is worrisome, to say the least, and that cannot be ignored. And even if Green manages to stay upright, there is a second round pick waiting in the wings who they hope will be their future franchise QB. So they better win games. What happens if they start off 1-7 and the fans and media start screaming for a QB change -- this season is lost, give the kid some playing time.

So there are legit reasons to fear that Green doesn't play 16 games, which could all but kill Brown's production. He's not going to be a #1 caliber RB without a good passing game to keep defenders honest, and simply to move the ball to give him some scoring chances. Is Brown good enough to carry the entire offense? He wasn't last year. Granted this is all worst-case scenario stuff, but I still say that the conditions will have to be almost perfect for Brown to be worth a first round selection, and there is no precedent with Brown to be overly confident.

Brown's ADP is 2.04 and he's the 14th RB overall taken, so he's not a 1st rounder.

As for Trent Green, I'm actually optimistic that he's going to do well this year. I think people are making way too much out of his concussion, which by the start of the regular season will be 11 months old. He didn't tear his rotator cuff - it was a concussion. QBs can and have recovered from concussions all the time. It's not like Green is some stiff who's still learning how to play while overcoming an injury. He's a seasoned veteran who's one year removed from having 3 straight 4,000+ yard performaces.

I also expect a lot out of Cam Cameron. LT and Gates didn't rack up all those stats because of lousy play calling or bad coaching. Cameron has proven his offensive coordinator abilities. And he's taking over a team that has one of the better defenses in the league, so Cameron and the Dolphins should have plenty of opportunties to move the ball.

One thing I want out of a 1st or 2nd round pick is upside. And I think Brown has a ton of it.

Edited by GobbleDog

Brown's ADP is 2.04 and he's the 14th RB overall taken, so he's not a 1st rounder.

That is not the consensus on him :D but that would be about right in my opinion, maybe slightly overvalued.

As for Trent Green, I'm actually optimistic that he's going to do well this year. I think people are making way too much out of his concussion, which by the start of the regular season will be 11 months old. He didn't tear his rotator cuff - it was a concussion. QBs can and have recovered from concussions all the time. It's not like Green is some stiff who's still learning how to play while overcoming an injury. He's a seasoned veteran who's one year removed from having 3 straight 4,000+ yard performaces.

If he stays healthy, I think he can be serviceable. He's not going to touch his KC numbers at his age with that supporting cast. A reasonable hope is that Green stays on the field and is able to move the ball and keep defenses from stacking the box. That is the only way Brown is worth his ADP.

I also expect a lot out of Cam Cameron. LT and Gates didn't rack up all those stats because of lousy play calling or bad coaching. Cameron has proven his offensive coordinator abilities. And he's taking over a team that has one of the better defenses in the league, so Cameron and the Dolphins should have plenty of opportunties to move the ball.

LT was a superstar since high school, and is a unique talent to say the least. Brown is no LT. People talk about Cameron like his play calling made LT the player he is today. In his first year of coaching a team that has been very bad lately, that plays in a very good division, and faces a daunting schedule, Cameron better be Vince Lombardi. Even the best coaches usually need 2-3 years at the very least to turn a team around, though there are notable exceptions.

One thing I want out of a 1st or 2nd round pick is upside. And I think Brown has a ton of it.

When I pick in those two rounds, I also want a high floor, and the less risk, the better. I want the guy to offer a solid baseline number, with upside for a lot more. I can see Brown being a complete bust this year and no one would be particularly surprised (look no further than '06). I think a breakout year could happen, I just wouldn't want to gamble my season on it.

My comments are more aimed at the top 10 RB ranking I've seen of him. If he's going 2.04 in drafts, I can't argue with that TOO much.

Even the best coaches usually need 2-3 years at the very least to turn a team around, though there are notable exceptions.

I'm not sure if what happened in New Orleans last year was the exception, or indicative of the current NFL. First-to-worst, and worst-to-first in the blink of an eye type of thing.

I'm not sure if what happened in New Orleans last year was the exception, or indicative of the current NFL. First-to-worst, and worst-to-first in the blink of an eye type of thing.

Not saying anything about Payton, but Brees, Colston, Bush and a healthy Deuce had a lot more to do with their turnaround than he did. A weak division helps too. The Phins are largely unchanged except for an aging QB, a very questionable first round WR choice, and a first time HC, and they face much stiffer competition.

See no reason for anyone to doubt Green. Yet, people do every year, and every year he throws for 4000+. To say Miami's recievers are not very serviceable, hence a downfall for Green, when did he have recievers in K.C. ? Kennison? cmon.... Green might not be top 3, but he's way better than the bottom 5 by any stretch.......