[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blackberry Pearl

CaP'N GRuNGe

Two of my buddies have Pearls...they like them reasonably well. Neither has continued with the internet service past the free trial - it works ok. Not the full keyboard, but integrates well with web-based email (like gmail). Overall, I'd say both are happy.

Yeah, he does.

I've looked at them but can't handle the half-keyboard. I need a qwerty keyboard to type. I was sold on the Blackjack until the Blackberry Curve came out. That thing is sweet and mine should be arriving today or tomorrow!

Tell me more about the Blackjack. I can get a couple free on a plan with a corporate discount...

Internet time is separate from airtime with most plans. Way back three years ago, my PocketPC had "free" data services. As soon as Sprint cut that out of my plan, I cut out that part of my plan. Soon after that, I switched to a regular phone.

Internet time is separate from airtime with most plans. Way back three years ago, my PocketPC had "free" data services. As soon as Sprint cut that out of my plan, I cut out that part of my plan. Soon after that, I switched to a regular phone.

Good to know.

Also, i'm on Verizon now, but these phones are on other carriers - AT&T Cingular and Sprint PCS. Any comments on these carriers?

Good to know.

Also, i'm on Verizon now, but these phones are on other carriers - AT&T Cingular and Sprint PCS. Any comments on these carriers?

I'm on Cingular..have been for years. I'd say that it is good service, not great. I get great coverage in areas that you would think there would be no coverage but tall buildings in the city confuse it...go figure. I'm not a Sprint fan.

The blackjack is nice because it runs mobile windows as opposed to the Blackberry OS. I think that provides some extra functionality. You can synch with Exchange from either. The Blackjack has a nice camera but the Pearl and Curve do as well.

Really, if I was deciding between the blackjack and pearl, it would come down to the keyboard. Do you want multiple letters per key? Blackberry's OS is fine but I think the Blackjack's will allow you to add apps that will allow you to edit Word Docs, etc from the blackjack. I'm not sure if there is anything out there like that for the Blackberry models.

I'm on Verizon and have the Q. I like it a lot as it does everything I need, the screen is nice and the internet is easy to surf (as others noted, you need to have a separate data plan through Verizon, it is not part of the phone plan). It is very lightweight, and setting it up to retrieve my home e-mail was a snap.

I have the pearl and really like it. I can read most websites fairly easily (the monthly enterprise email includes unlimited internet access.) Alot of sites have condensed versions for your handheld. I have no trouble with the smaller keyboard ( I have woman hands) as the smart type is very accurate. The best thing about it is the size, although the curve is sweet and I may upgrade to that one once I get overseas. Integrated to yahoo mail in 30 seconds. I give it a thumbs up.

Anybody have one of these phones? How are they for surfing the internet? Also, I assume when a plan quotes minutes, they are including the airtime that you are logged into the net? TIA

I have a pearl, t-mobile as my carrier

web and email is unlimited

surfing the net is ok, you can still post here, some sites are poorly designed for blackberry screens though...

you get used to the 1/2 keyboard pretty quick and it is a heck of a lot smaller than the full size version

You can also get email from exchange servers and open most office doc and pdfs without problems

I'm on Verizon and have the Q. I like it a lot as it does everything I need, the screen is nice and the internet is easy to surf (as others noted, you need to have a separate data plan through Verizon, it is not part of the phone plan). It is very lightweight, and setting it up to retrieve my home e-mail was a snap.

I have a Q, and I love it. I use it all the time.

But I can't post on the Huddle from the Internet Explorer on the phone. Do you use a different browser, or do I need an update or something? A lot of sites don't work for me.

I have a Blackberry 7130c, the model right before the Pearl. I got mine in December of last year. The Pearl was just introduced but I decided to get the 7130c because I didn't like how small the Pearl was. Although I kind of regret it, I absolutely love my Blackberry and can easily say it's the best phone I have ever had. The two-letters to a key is awesome and it takes about a day to get use to. All you guys who say it sucks haven't even tried it, just scoff at the idea. It takes getting used to like anything else but it saves space and is great. The emailing is awesome. The internet at times can be bad but those sites that are bad are ones I don't even really go to. The organizer functions are fantastic. This phone does everything I want and I really can't think of any crazy downsides. The Pearl is the same and I have used it a lot as one of my good friends has it. Get a Blackberry and don't turn back.

I also have a Q. I don't care for the lack of battery life and sometimes the phone acts wacky, but aside from that, it's a studly phone.

I have thought to move over to the Blackberry but they don't have cameras on 'em. Wait, how does twiley send me photo messages if he has a Pearl? :D I may have been misinformed.

Hopefully max will be around shortly to educate us. I believe he's the authority here. :D

I personally recommend a Windows Pocket PC phone over a Blackberry. There's more expandability and customizability, but you might sacrifice a little less polished UI. I currently have the T-Mobile Wing with a slide out QWERTY keyboard. Internet service is billed separately then voice. I have an unlimited 5.99 plan that in some locations requires going through a proxy, but in my area it does not. Internet browsing isn't too bad if the site is designed for mobile usage. Some sites are, some sites aren't. The ones that aren't are painful. And don't expect the same type of functionality as what your PC has, but it's nice to be able to connect to the internet while you are out and about and get information on something.

I also have a Q. I don't care for the lack of battery life and sometimes the phone acts wacky, but aside from that, it's a studly phone.

I have thought to move over to the Blackberry but they don't have cameras on 'em. Wait, how does twiley send me photo messages if he has a Pearl? :D I may have been misinformed.

Hopefully max will be around shortly to educate us. I believe he's the authority here. :D

The Pearl has a camera.

I couldn't really care less about having a camera or not. Or even MP3 player for that matter. Just need a solid working phone and ideally nice web access for things like checking my fantasy scores on MFL and a little surfing here and there.

I have a Q, and I love it. I use it all the time.

But I can't post on the Huddle from the Internet Explorer on the phone. Do you use a different browser, or do I need an update or something? A lot of sites don't work for me.

I havent done any software updates. I tried to d othe motorola update when I first got my Q and it completely killed the phone.. wiped it all out to the point it would not even boot up. Got a new phone and havent tried since. Don't want to risk losing my contact information.

I can post on the huddle from the IE that came on the phone, but have had trouble on other sites. If I go to the yahoo site to try login to a secondary e-mail account, I can view and read my e-mails, but they way the site is set up I can not send, forward, etc. e-mails.

I have a Pearl and it is quite nice. I love the size and the smaller keyboard (remember, I am 6'5 and have hugh hands...:D). Darin's pictures go to a T-Mobile website though...:D

I havent done any software updates. I tried to d othe motorola update when I first got my Q and it completely killed the phone.. wiped it all out to the point it would not even boot up. Got a new phone and havent tried since. Don't want to risk losing my contact information.

I can post on the huddle from the IE that came on the phone, but have had trouble on other sites. If I go to the yahoo site to try login to a secondary e-mail account, I can view and read my e-mails, but they way the site is set up I can not send, forward, etc. e-mails.

weird. I wonder what I have set differently. The whole text input box is a big grey box that I cant enter.