[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Commissioners

I have a practical question for those of you who are in Keeper leagues... by what method do you declare your keepers?

In our league, there could be a strategic advantage to know how many keepers the other teams have decalred before you declare your own (you can keep up to 3 players and each player you keep means a forfeited pick at the top of the draft order)... so is there some kind of neutral site that you can use to have everyone send their keeper picks to, and then only reveal them once all teams have checked in?

I hope that made sense. :D

In my league the keepers are revealed in the order we finished last year. So last years winner submits his keepers and then the 2nd place team and so on. This is an advantage to the the last place teams but seems to make it a bit more interesting. We have done it in the past where the commisioner compiles the keepers and sends it out to everyone but I could see how someone would think the commish has an advantage.

I have a practical question for those of you who are in Keeper leagues... by what method do you declare your keepers?

In our league, there could be a strategic advantage to know how many keepers the other teams have decalred before you declare your own (you can keep up to 3 players and each player you keep means a forfeited pick at the top of the draft order)... so is there some kind of neutral site that you can use to have everyone send their keeper picks to, and then only reveal them once all teams have checked in?

We are going to do the same as Tuff Luck suggests. We are going to call it round 0 of the draft and make the decisions on the clock. The last place finisher from the previous year does get an advantage but not days to study the situation.

Why not set up a league forum here and then require all owners to post by a certain time & date, then allow edits up to a soon afterwards time & date, after which keepers are finalized.

It would make for some fun jockeying among owners.

Example - Initial keeper list shall be posted on Monday, Aug. 8th by 12:00 Noon EST, editing period ends Friday, August 12 at 12:00 Noon EST*.

Then as a commish lock the keeper thread at noon on Friday. That might make for some good fun during the week while allowing owners to do some homework during the week. Then allow owners a week to go over all the keepers after the threads are locked.

* - I have no idea if Aug 8th falls on Monday this year, it was just a f'n example....

Edited by Bronco Billy

We submit our keepers via email to the commish who then posts them all at one time.

The only cheating that could occur is if the commish peaks and uses them to his advantage. If you actually fear that your commish would do that, then he shouldn't be your commish or you shouldn't be in that league.

what we do is we have a set date where everyone will name 3 potential keepers (we keep 2) and after you name the 3 potential keepers, you are allowed to trade any of those players...but the rest of your team dumps into the player pool and everyone gets a good idea of who will be available without giving up too much of the draft...

and when the draft starts, the team who won the championship the previous year goes last in draft order, but declares their keepers 1st (all of them)...and then the draft order starts by who has the earliest pick without a keeper being named (you can keep 0)...

we don't hide who we keep, but rather leave the option open for 2nd guessing..

In my keeper league the I have to declare 1st then everybody else but nobody knows who is being kept or let go until they have turned in their keepers, but in our league we have to keep 3 and 1 unrestricted player(in which that player can be taken from us from somebody else for their 1st rd. pick)this brings alot more stratagy to the draft.

12 Men in the Huddle uses this same approach. As commish, I write my keepers down, if any. Then all owners have to email their keeper picks at least two weeks prior to the draft, at which time I reveal all keeper picks to the league. that gives everyone two weeks to wheel and deal, evaluate the which players will be "draftable," and plan out their draft plan accordingly.

We use a system where people pick their draft order, which is done BEFORE keepers are known. So there is certainly some strategic advantage in where you want to end up in the snake draft, based how many keepers you'll keep. But not knowing what everyone else is going to do puts a lot of guess work into that, which is part of the fun, IMO.

Is there a way in MFL to secretly declare keepers until the commish opens them up?

Not that I am aware of as a strict manner of declaring keepers.

One work around though would be to have a waiver period where each team must submit their waivers by a certain time, where the waivers are the drops of anyone they are not keeping, so that the system automatically processes these drops at the same time. You would need to have rules in place for owners that do not submit their drops or do not submit enough of them.

In my league we announce keepers on the day of the draft, in order of last year's finish. Then in reverse order, each guy selects his draft position. Last year's turd can pick any slot from 1-12, then #11 picks from what is left, etc. It works out pretty well.

I commish two leagues, and in both of them we just use MyFantasyLeague's Drop Players feature to cut our rosters down. There's no set order, and no positional requirements or restrictions on who you keep or drop. The only rule is that cuts have to be in before the deadline (typically one week before the draft), or else yours truly makes the needed cuts at his discretion. :D

12 Men in the Huddle uses this same approach. As commish, I write my keepers down, if any. Then all owners have to email their keeper picks at least two weeks prior to the draft, at which time I reveal all keeper picks to the league. that gives everyone two weeks to wheel and deal, evaluate the which players will be "draftable," and plan out their draft plan accordingly.

We use a system where people pick their draft order, which is done BEFORE keepers are known. So there is certainly some strategic advantage in where you want to end up in the snake draft, based how many keepers you'll keep. But not knowing what everyone else is going to do puts a lot of guess work into that, which is part of the fun, IMO.

Crooked Commish :D