[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shotguns

Hugh 0ne

Completely new to this, so pardon my ignorance:

What's the difference between a 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun? Please explain with details since I'm a newb, TIA.

Can you change ammunition types without having to modify the shotgun? In other words, can I use buck shot or bird shot in the same shot gun?

How easy and quick is it to reload a shotgun?

The particular shotgun I'm inquiring about if that is needed for your answers is a Mossberg 500 Persuader.

Thanks for your help. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the difference between a 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun? Please explain with details since I'm a newb, TIA.

Can you change ammunition types without having to modify the shotgun? In other words, can I use buck shot or bird shot in the same shot gun?

The particular shotgun I'm inquiring about if that is needed for your answers is a Mossberg 500 Persuader.

12 gauge is larger than 20

and yes u can shoot a slug to buck shot in any of them... older guns dont like steal shot however.

home defense?? i know u are small so dont get the pistol grip it will knock u on you're arse

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Shouldn't need to reload if its only 1 or 2 intruders.

12 gauge is larger than 20

and yes u can shoot a slug to buck shot in any of them... older guns dont like steal shot however.

home defense?? i know u are small so dont get the pistol grip it will knock u on you're arse

So for a home defense type of application, 12 gauge would be better?

Also, I'm assuming a shorter barrel length would be slightly less accurate, right? 18.5 inches or 20 inches, what would be better?

Thanks Yuke. :D

So for a home defense type of application, 12 gauge would be better? Yes

Also, I'm assuming a shorter barrel length would be slightly less accurate, right? The shorter the barrel the more spread the shot will be coming out and downrange, depends on how far and what you are shooting at to determine accuracy18.5 inches or 20 inches, what would be better? for what it sounds like you are using it for, doesn't matter

Edited by Hat Trick

Just remember not to have one in the chamber, when the intruder hears you load one into the chamber, that'll be all the defense you need. :D

shuck shuck, BOOM! :D

So for a home defense type of application, 12 gauge would be better?

Also, I'm assuming a shorter barrel length would be slightly less accurate, right? 18.5 inches or 20 inches, what would be better?

if its just at home defense get the 18.5 you're only looking at a max of 20 yards for a shot .. youre biggest concern will be pattern and at 20 yards with 00 buck you will have plenty of BB's in the zone ...

if its just at home defense get the 18.5 you're only looking at a max of 20 yards for a shot .. youre biggest concern will be pattern and at 20 yards with 00 buck you will have plenty of BB's in the zone ...

For in home, to minimize property damage and for safety reasons, bird shot is the way to go, right?

Seems like getting an 870 as a first shotgun is almost a must.

My first shotgun was a Ted Williams break-action .410. The thing kicks like a friggin mule...worse than any 12 gauge I've ever shot, but it's damn fun to shoot. :D

Just remember not to have one in the chamber, when the intruder hears you load one into the chamber, that'll be all the defense you need. :D

shuck shuck, BOOM! :doh:

I make that sound, too. :D That how she knows I'm done. :tup:

For in home, to minimize property damage and for safety reasons, bird shot is the way to go, right?

Unless you are trying to kill a bird or you just enjoy picking hundreds of tiny pellets out of everything you own then no.

yah i would go something like 2( less, bigger BB"s) or 6( more ,smaller BB"s) steel shot, in fact mix them up a bit :D l..... works wonders and will not hurt the china much ..

if you are going to shoot at squarrls or raccoons in youre house us 9 shot... little tiny holes at 25 yards

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

yah i would go something like 2( less bigger BB"s) or 6( more smaller BB"s)stea, in fact mix them up a bit :D l..... works wonders and will not hurt the china much ..

if you are going to shoot at squarrls or raccoons in youre house us 9 shot... little tiny holes at 25 yards

I wish I knew what this meant, I think it's potentially very informative, but my Yukonese translator must be broken. :D

The smaller the number, the larger the shot. The larger the shot , the less pellets per shell. If you buy #2's theres probly 8 or 10 per shell. #9's there might be 40 or 50 ( I'm guessing). If I wanted to shoot someone in my house with a 12 gauge I'd probly choose 4's or 6's. Enough pellets per shell to guarentee I ain't missing and large enough to knock 'em back a couple feet. :D

yah i would go something like 2( less bigger BB"s) or 6( more smaller BB"s)stea, in fact mix them up a bit :D l..... works wonders and will not hurt the china much ..

I'd prefer buckshot. It's what is used by police & military. The lower the "ought" the higher the pellet count. Inside a home it shouldn't be hard to hit any target using anything other than a slug. BB has about 50 shot in it if you get lead, BBB about 40 I think. You may have a better chance at hitting your target with those, but you have less of a chance of stopping it & more of a chance of destroying everything around it.

it will go threw walls... out to say 20 yards or so with a 3 inch maybe 15 with a 2 3/4

Yup, I was about to say the same thing. If you want a gun that won't shoot through walls get a tazer or BB gun. :D

I'd prefer buckshot. It's what is used by police & military. The lower the "ought" the higher the pellet count. Inside a home it shouldn't be hard to hit any target using anything other than a slug. BB has about 50 shot in it if you get lead, BBB about 40 I think. You may have a better chance at hitting your target with those, but you have less of a chance of stopping it & more of a chance of destroying everything around it.

Yup, I was about to say the same thing. If you want a gun that won't shoot through walls get a tazer or BB gun. :D

a lot of places u cant have buck shot....