[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf

Big Country

Oky, other than mini golf, a trip to a driving range when I was in high school and two times on a course where I did not play bu did drive the cart and drink heavily, I have never played golf.

But, a lot of friends are getting into it, and so I thought I would find out what it takes, money and time wise, to get into golf.

As I have essentially never played, I would think that lessons of some sort would be appropriate. How would one go about finding out what decent rates are, and who/where to find a qualified instructor.

Clubs - As a beginner, what should I be looking for, and what can I realistically expect to be spending. Should clubs be customized for height and other factors? I'm 6'5'', so I would think/assume that the clubs I would use would be much different than the clubs a 5'6'' person would use. What sort of cost am I looking at here?

Any and all input is appreciated as Iconsider expanding into the world of golf. (Does this mean I am accepting my age and that I am no longer able to compete on the basketbal lcourt as I once did?)

Lessons are essential for anyone starting to play golf. Word-of-mouth is the best source of information, but you can also call around to the local courses to get rates and availability. Video-assisted lessons will cost you more.

You will need to be fitted for clubs because the standard sets are not made for tall people.

Edited by Chargerz

Chief probably hit the starting price pretty well. You could maybe find some off brand or knockoffs for cheaper. Maybe.

But also like he said, with your height you definetly need to get fitted. Your run of the mill set will most likely be too short for you. Too many people struggle at the game because they don't have clubs matched to their swing.

Something else you could look into, a lot of shops will offer a starter set. Instead of getting every iron, 3-9, Pitching wedge, you can buy just every other iron, 3,5,7,9 irons. Obviously this costs less and most places will give you full credit towards a full set once you become hooked and want to trade those clubs in for a full set.

As far as the cost of lessons, I'm not sure. That could depend on region. Also depends on where you go. Golf pros at fancier courses obviously cost more. Last I knew, at my course lessons were somewhere between 50-75 bucks an hour. I think you could get a 4 lesson package for about $200. If you go to a course for lessons, check to see if they have an asst pro, they tend to charge less then the head pro will.

Good luck. :D

Get hand-me-downs or used clubs.

There's no need to invest 650 in a sport you're not sure if you'll like.

Go to driving ranges until you get your swing relatively confident. Then start small and play some executive courses or hacker par 3 nines.

Don't be in front of me.

For your size, it might be tough finding hand-me-down clubs. You can look on eBay for them, or even talk a golf course into letting you demo some sets for a round or two, with the promise of buying them there.

A lot of courses have beginner lessons that are cheaper than one-on-one with a pro. It's a good way to get the basics of swing mechanics down. If you're not worried about price, go find a pro you like and take lessons. Then hit the range as often as possible, mix in some putting and some chipping to work on your short game. It's a great game, but it can be addictive.

First thing to do is to take some lessons. Group lessons are a good way to start and will be cheaper than if you took lessons individually from a pro. As for finding someone to give you lessons, ask around. If you have friends who golf alot they will probably know someone who that is good with older beginner players.

As for clubs, you will need to be fitted, which was already mentioned. But you don't need a new set when you are just starting out. After you have been fit for clubs, you can look around the Internet or local golf shops for clubs that fit your swing profile. If you are having a hard time finding what you need, a good club builder could build you a set of component clubs that could run you anywhere from $200-$300.

Don't buy a driver...

The most important thing to remember is to have fun.

Best of luck...

If you can find a used set of clubs for a good price, you can take them to a club maker and have them extended fairly cheap. Make sure to get the most forgiving clubs you can find. And I echo what most have already said about getting lessons. I think you need to take a few lessons right away so you can start out on the right track. In my experience finding a good golf instructor is not easy. Ask around and find someone that'll work with what you have for a swing and make it better. You may want to try the one plane swing out (as opposed to the 2 plane swing). It's much easier IMO and relies less on timing. Check this website out: One Plane Swing

Good luck BC and have fun with it. It can be very frustrating at times. It's something you have to put a lot of time into if you really want to be good and it can be pretty expensive. But once you hit one on the sweet spot and the ball just jumps off your club, you'll be hooked. :D

Good advice in this thread so far - I will reiterate that you do need to be fitted for clubs at your height. I would get fitted by a pro and have some knockoffs made based on your fitting and swing speed. You can do all that for far less than 5 bills here.

Lessons depend on a lot of factors. I had a friend start playing and just had a naturally great swing. Big money on lessons would have been a waste for him. If you don't pick the game up easily, ask around at local courses for good pros/teachers.

Good luck and enjoy! I freakin' love the game. :D

Country, many off the rack clubs come in longer shaft lengths in irons. Mine are only 3/4" longer and I am 6'4". Taller players tend to stand up at impact and thus topping or skulling the ball. Not so much the length of the shaft, but more of the type of setup and swing you have(upright etc)

Hit a lot of balls at the local club. Use their different demos to find some you like. If it feels good in your hands and while you swing they will probably be the club for you(golf is 80% mental). Hit more balls, then hit some more. Buy the clubs you have found you like hitting(hopefully you have tried many types on many different days on many buckets). Hit more balls and then some more, grooving your muscle memory every swing. Learn golf and it's basic rules for playing and enjoy many great rounds for years to come

It may be worth your while to ask some guys that are a rung or two above you at work if they have a private instructor they like, and then you use the same one (even if its more expensive than some ass't pro). It may help you at the office with the next promotion...

I only skimmed this as I am in a hurry but keep in mind that you can have any shaft lengthened. It is not a big deal at all and really does not cost much. What I'm really saying is don't let the length of shaft worry you.

I only skimmed this as I am in a hurry but keep in mind that you can have any shaft lengthened. It is not a big deal at all and really does not cost much. What I'm really saying is don't let the length of shaft worry you.

Nah, it's the lady folks that get worried at my shaft length. :drumroll:

THanks for all of the advice. I do have a couple local friends that play occassionally, so I will speak to them. Will also talk to a few co-workers that also play and get their input.

Is he still talking about golf? Or enzyte? :D

Look for local used shops, most will fit clubs and save you a few bucks, yellow pages are good. I got a set of used pings fitted for $400. I would start off with a group lesson for beginners (all in same boat). Pick up a few pointers, practice on your own at the driving range, come back for further lessons. Someone above said that getting good takes time, very true, I don't dedicate the time, but enjoy the sport. Something to keep in mind is that you can be a decent golfer if you practice chipping and more importantly putting. Most people hardly work on this, but it is where the most strokes are given up or made up!!! I am 35 and have been playing since I was 12 and am finally realizing this.