[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crash diet

Grits and Shins

I apologize for that comment now that I know the real story.

I prayed for your wife today at work, and once again at home as I am now asking for your to forgive my reply.

God bless you both.

There is no need to apologize. My original post gave you no indication that my wife was having health issues.

UPDATE

She was in surgery for just over 4 hours yesterday morning. Her doctor said the surgery went very well, but he was very surprised by how badly ravaged her colon and lower intestine were by Chrons (and was surprised that she was able to tolerate the pain). He removed a large part of her colon and part of her lower intestine and had to perform an iliostomy (sp? … where they connect her bowel to a colonoscopy bag). Her doctor will evaluate whether the bag is permanent based on how well she has healed in 3 months time.

She was obviously very groggy/hazy yesterday for more than several hours after surgery. Later in the evening she seemed to be doing very well and in very good spirits. When we visited this morning she was a bit irritated by the frequent interruptions to her sleep. At lunch she was a bit irritated because the pain meds had run out and the nurse had yet to replenish her supply.

All in all she seems to be doing very well. Appreciate the prayers and kind thoughts.

There is no need to apologize. My original post gave you no indication that my wife was having health issues.

UPDATE

She was in surgery for just over 4 hours yesterday morning. Her doctor said the surgery went very well, but he was very surprised by how badly ravaged her colon and lower intestine were by Chrons (and was surprised that she was able to tolerate the pain). He removed a large part of her colon and part of her lower intestine and had to perform an iliostomy (sp? … where they connect her bowel to a colonoscopy bag). Her doctor will evaluate whether the bag is permanent based on how well she has healed in 3 months time.

She was obviously very groggy/hazy yesterday for more than several hours after surgery. Later in the evening she seemed to be doing very well and in very good spirits. When we visited this morning she was a bit irritated by the frequent interruptions to her sleep. At lunch she was a bit irritated because the pain meds had run out and the nurse had yet to replenish her supply.

All in all she seems to be doing very well. Appreciate the prayers and kind thoughts.

Prayers sent. This has got to be tough on both of you, and I hope the recovery is speedy and ends with the best-case scenario.

Things seem to be progressing the best that than can be under the circumstances and I hope her recovery is successful and that she won't need the bag forever.

Last night and today have been really hard. She started throwing up last night and has continued to throw up off and on through out the day today. Obviously with stiches in her lower abdomen throwing up is even more unpleasant. They gave her something for the nausea that didn't really help and finally gave her something awhile ago that will make her sleep and allow her to get some much needed rest (if only people will stop dropping by and calling).

I think she may end up weighing less than when we met 24 years ago.

Last night and today have been really hard. She started throwing up last night and has continued to throw up off and on through out the day today. Obviously with stiches in her lower abdomen throwing up is even more unpleasant. They gave her something for the nausea that didn't really help and finally gave her something awhile ago that will make her sleep and allow her to get some much needed rest (if only people will stop dropping by and calling).

:D What are they saying about her progress overall?

yikes. :D

:D What are they saying about her progress overall?

Yesterday everybody was very positive about her progress. I have only talked to a nurse today but the indication that I am getting is that while not desireable the throwing up is not totally unexpected. She is off the morphine and not really in much pain (other then when she throws up) but the nauseau/throwing up and lack of sleep is taking its toll ... she is exhausted.

If the throwing up does not cease they will have to put a tube through her nose and down into her stomach ... that can't be fun.

My best to her in her recovery, Blitz. Don't be afraid to turn the ringer off on the phone, and ask friends and family to send cards instead of visiting for a while, if she's getting overwhelmed with visitors. People will understand.

My best to her in her recovery, Blitz. Don't be afraid to turn the ringer off on the phone, and ask friends and family to send cards instead of visiting for a while, if she's getting overwhelmed with visitors. People will understand.

Nod. I turned the hospital phone off, took her cell phone and have turned several people away at the door. I am amazed at how insensitive some of the hospital staff can be ... they barge into the room at all hours with no concern about being quiet in case the patient might be finally resting.

Nod. I turned the hospital phone off, took her cell phone and have turned several people away at the door. I am amazed at how insensitive some of the hospital staff can be ... they barge into the room at all hours with no concern about being quiet in case the patient might be finally resting.

I can definitely understand that. One of the reasons I chose to work in the OR instead of on the floor is how hectic the work schedule can be, and how much of a zoo that atmosphere is.

A little unsolicited advice:

Talk to the Charge Nurses and ask them if it's possible with their staffing to assign the same nurses to your wife. You get better continuity of care, and the better they get to know you, the better the care.

Get to know the nurses, and mention, as politely but firmly as you can, that you have concerns about the constant interruptions to her sleep. While some interruptions can't be helped, if you make them aware of it, they should try and help.

Don't be afraid to take control of the environment. I notice that a lot of people get freaked out in hospitals (for good reason) and kind of settle into passive mode. Little things, like closing your wife's door and turning down the lights will set a more conducive environment, and actually, nurses and ddoctors will be more likely to respect those external factors out of habit. Get to know how things work in the room, and don't be afraid to be really pro-active in caring for your wife. Little things like helping her with teeth brushing and stuff like that can be done by you, and I am sure the Nurses and Aides on the floor will be more than happy for you to handle it. That'll reduce interruptions.

Hope that helps, in some way.

UPDATE

Hope all is well. FYI my wifes best friend went through the same thing. She had the bag for 3 months. They remove 4 feet from her because of the same thing and they told her that more than likely the bad would be forever.

After 3 months she healed up and they reattacked everything just fine.

Hang in there.

So sorry to hear that she is going through all of this and I pray for a speedy and succesful recovery. My dad wore the bag temporarily when he had a major surgery for diverticulitus and after 3 months they were able to re attach and everything was fine. I know the condition isnt the same but hopefully the end result will be. Keep being strong for her as I am sure you will and tell her the power of huddle prayer and vibes is with all of you.

Yesterday everybody was very positive about her progress. I have only talked to a nurse today but the indication that I am getting is that while not desireable the throwing up is not totally unexpected. She is off the morphine and not really in much pain (other then when she throws up) but the nauseau/throwing up and lack of sleep is taking its toll ... she is exhausted.

If the throwing up does not cease they will have to put a tube through her nose and down into her stomach ... that can't be fun.

Prayers and best wishes still coming.

I spent the night in the hospital room with her last night. Interestingly enough my simple presence in the room made the staff more diligent about their efforts to be quiet. Seems kiind of backwards as the paitient needed rest much more than I did. She also seemed to rest easier with me in the room. My mother is with her tonight as I just got back from my daughter's tournament games tonight.

She is totally off pain meds but fighting the nausea. I don't think she has eaten enought to sustain a squirrel over the last several days.

I'm hopeful that she will turn the corner and be released some thime next week.