[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Twins Are in Trouble

Outshined

Tori Hunter - Ichiro just signed for 5 years at 90 million. That just put Hunters value through the roof. The Twins will see if he will stay here for less after the season. If not - we will see Hunter in Boston or New York.

Justin Morneau - Reinging AL MVP. He has 24 homers at the break. He did not get a deal done in the offseason. Morneau will be eligible for arbitration before the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons before being eligible to file for free agency, so the Twins will have him under contract in 2010, when their new ballpark is scheduled to open. That's also the year Mauer's contract expires. If he stays consistent, they may be able to afford him with the revenues from the new ballpark.

Joe Mauer - Hometown boy and reining AL batting champion. He just signed a 4 year deal for 35 million. I think they will do what it takes to keep him around. I think Joe would want to stay here as well. They may be able to afford him with the revenues from the new ballpark.

Johan Santana - No need to say a whole lot about this guy other than he is on his way to the hall of fame as the most dominant pitcher. His record since 2003 after the all star break is 41-4. 20-25 million per season is not out of the question. His contract ends after the 2008 season. I am sure he will be shipped out east so the Pohlads can line their pockets from the new ball park for a few years.

Should be interesting. More interesting will be how Liriano surpasses Santana next year.

Or IF Liriano can stay healthy enough to pitch for an entire season.

Hunter is as good as gone, but they'll have Morneau and Mauer for the foreseeable future. IMO, their only concern right now is Santana. Methinks that they'll work something out with him, though.

If Pohlad wanted, he could sign all these guys tomorrow. I think they'll lose Hunter but keep the rest and they'll remain competitive for years with the best farm system in baseball.

I wouldn't say the "BEST" farm system in baseball. One of the top 3-5.. Yes.

Tori Hunter - Ichiro just signed for 5 years at 90 million. That just put Hunters value through the roof. The Twins will see if he will stay here for less after the season. If not - we will see Hunter in Boston or New York.

Justin Morneau - Reinging AL MVP. He has 24 homers at the break. He did not get a deal done in the offseason. Morneau will be eligible for arbitration before the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons before being eligible to file for free agency, so the Twins will have him under contract in 2010, when their new ballpark is scheduled to open. That's also the year Mauer's contract expires. If he stays consistent, they may be able to afford him with the revenues from the new ballpark.

Joe Mauer - Hometown boy and reining AL batting champion. He just signed a 4 year deal for 35 million. I think they will do what it takes to keep him around. I think Joe would want to stay here as well. They may be able to afford him with the revenues from the new ballpark.

Johan Santana - No need to say a whole lot about this guy other than he is on his way to the hall of fame as the most dominant pitcher. His record since 2003 after the all star break is 41-4. 20-25 million per season is not out of the question. His contract ends after the 2008 season. I am sure he will be shipped out east so the Pohlads can line their pockets from the new ball park for a few years.

Hunter - NOT in NY I hope. I don't see the Yankees shelling out nearly $20 million for him.

Santana - If the Twins are smart, they will trade him and at least get a package back for him rather than lose him as a FA and get nothing.

• 4 months later...
Hunter - NOT in NY I hope. I don't see the Yankees shelling out nearly $20 million for him.

Santana - If the Twins are smart, they will trade him and at least get a package back for him rather than lose him as a FA and get nothing.

Well that looks like it will be the case.

2 of 4 will be gone. They will probably keep Mauer. Time for Pohlad to line his pockets for a few years with a low payroll while selling out every game.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Twin homers what's up. Have always been impressed with how the Twins managed to put competative teams together despite their payroll. But they just acquired Houston's left side of their infield fron last year. It didn'y work in Houston and it ain't going to work in Minny. Together they make one good player seperate they suck. Lamb has a little pop but can't field worth a shiat. Everett is the best fielding SS in the league, but can't hit worth a lick. They still need to replace Hunter. Possible losing Johan. Things ain't looking to good there in Minny this year.

Ok Twin homers what's up. Have always been impressed with how the Twins managed to put competative teams together despite their payroll. But they just acquired Houston's left side of their infield fron last year. It didn'y work in Houston and it ain't going to work in Minny. Together they make one good player seperate they suck. Lamb has a little pop but can't field worth a shiat. Everett is the best fielding SS in the league, but can't hit worth a lick. They still need to replace Hunter. Possible losing Johan. Things ain't looking to good there in Minny this year.

Agreed. This will be the first spring in a while where I am really not feeling the team has a legit shot at the post season. Its frustrating to see the organization not willing to do more to keep some of its top talent especially when it wants the people of MN to help pay for a new stadium. In a couple years, I will have the opportunity to pay more for a ticket to see a team that is not as good play in a stadium I helped pay for. :D

• 1 month later...

:wacko: It seems the Twinkies decided to give their money to Justin and Cuddyer instead of Johan, plus they will give one to Mauer also when the time comes. They better lower their demands for Johan before the season starts or they will get nothing when he walks next year. it will come down to the Mets and Seattle and I think he will refuse a trade to Seattle.

The Sox and Yanks will just make sure neither gets him, I really don't think either team really wants him and the big contract, but they cetainly don't want him going to the other.

Johan is going to end up with the Mets, I think. Oh well, enjoy. You'll send us a bunch of prospects and at least two of them will be big league stars. You can hang your hat on that.

fine with me ..as mets need a shot in the arm after last year;s collapse and no bigger shot in the arm than Johan on the mound inmho

incredible choke :wacko: ...i was literally sick to my stomach ...i could not watch baseball after the collpased

It gave the term "Just think about baseball" all new meaning to you