[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

$12.5 million to store FEMA ice?

Randall

Updated: 1:09 a.m. CT July 15, 2007

GLOUCESTER, Mass. - After nearly two years, thousands of truck miles and $12.5 million in storage costs, a cold relic of the flawed Hurricane Katrina relief effort is going down the drain.

The federal government is getting rid of thousands of pounds of ice it had sent south to help Katrina victims, then north when it determined much of the ice wasn’t needed. The Federal Emergency Management Agency had been hanging on to the ice in case it was needed for another disaster, but decided to get rid of it because it couldn’t determine whether it was still safe for human consumption.

“We just didn’t take any chances,” FEMA spokeswoman Alexandra Kirin told the Gloucester Daily Times.

The ice, held at AmeriCold Logistics in Gloucester and at 22 similar facilities nationwide, is being melted. The cost of storing the ice at all the facilities since Katrina is $12.5 million.

The Army Corps of Engineers acknowledged after the August 2005 hurricane that it had ordered too much ice because of faulty estimates by local officials. Truckers received up to $900 a day to move the ice to storage sites around the country.

Gloucester received 118 truckloads of ice that September, but 99 of those were sent to Florida in October 2005 to help with relief efforts after Hurricane Wilma. By November 2005, only four truckloads, weighing between 40,000 and 84,000 pounds each, remained in Gloucester.

FEMA contracts required disposal of the ice three months after purchase, but Kirin said the agency decided to keep the excess ice for the 2006 hurricane season. With fewer storms than expected, the ice was not needed, and the agency decided not to save the ice for the 2007 season.

She added that FEMA tried to donate the ice, but “had no takers.”

More from MSNBC.com

I just simply LOVE these stories... these are the same people you want to provide you healthcare, education and retirement. Don't you see ANY irony in that?

Pathetic.

And decide to spend all yours and the next three generations money on a needless war?

And decide to spend all yours and the next three generations money on a needless war?

Thats all you got? Go get your free clinic flu shot, pay your social secuirty, and then make me some toast laborer.

Edited by H8tank

I just simply LOVE these stories... these are the same people you want to provide you healthcare, education and retirement. Don't you see ANY irony in that?

Pathetic.

These people hate government. They say government doesn't work and are out to prove themselves right.

Pathetic.

Putting down the relief efforts for one of the worst natural disasters in our country's history is definitely pathetic.

Let me be clear.

I do NOT want the Bush administration to provide me with healthcare, education or retirement.

Nor do I want Chimpy McPretzelchoker and his band of cronies to provide me with national defense, foreign policy, or any type of contact with people or animals for any reason.

You elected this guy who put an impostor arabian horse expert in charge of emergency management. You. Soak in your awesomeness.

Thats all you got? Go get your free clinic flu shot, pay your social secuirty, and then make me some toast laborer.

What do you ever have?

I take it from your missive that you see this as just another situation where government shows that it is useless and incompetent. OK, so why is it that you trust the same entity that doesn't know it's ass from it's elbow to decide it is time to put our sons and daughters in harms way as well as drive us deep into debt over Iraq? I mean, you seem to be quite on board with that.

"Well, you've screwed up in the mail room, the warehouse, and cleaning up the toilets. Oh, I have an idea, why don't you balance the budget and decide our marketing and growth strategy for the next fiscal year. Think you can handle that?"

You're pissed off along with everyone else when some screw up like this happens but when when we point out this same level of stupidity is being shown in our Iraq mission, you cry about why we only talk about the negative and call us bad Americans. Do you really miss the irony here? I mean, isn't this where you point to whatever success FEMA had in NO, regardless of how little it was compared to what they should have been able to pull off as some shining achievement? 'Cause that is exactly what you do the rest of the time when defending this woeful administration.

Others have made the point quite well about the self fulfilling prophecy of a government not taking it's job seriously and then campaigning on the platform that government needs to be smaller. Well, if my choice is morans like the cronies that Bush rewards with high positions and no government, then yes, I am all for slashing the hell out of it.

H8America, how many times did mommy drop you on your head?

Pathetic.

These are the same people, hired by G Dub, who run the DHS, CDC and the NSA. Should we disband those?

Moron.

Putting down the relief efforts for one of the worst natural disasters in our country's history is definitely pathetic.

Absolutely. W knew about the disaster(as videos showed) and ignored it for days.That goes way beyond incompetence.

Edwards/Cliton will make it all better..........and the tailgate can shutdown.........net/net :D

When faced with the choice between somebody who's proven they are incapable of doing a job and somebody who may not be able to do a job, I've found that choosing the latter is typically wise.

Pathetic.

You're kidding - right? You have a crystal ball that told you the hurricane season following katrina was a dud? What would it have cost to melt the ice immediately, then try to get more if the 2006 season was another disaster?

Your whining reminds me of the people in Carolina who got pissed when given the order to evacuate then the hurricane veered at the last second and missed them completely - which happened a few years ago.

What's sad is you defended their lame-ass actions at the time, and now bag on them when they try to fix their mistake prone policy.

Boy, you little girls are sure riled up!

The constitution says the gov't is there to protect us and our borders, so they can bomb and kill anybody they want.

It does not say they are supposed to provide ice, education, healthcare or education. Run along now, you've been bitshslapped back to reality!

The constitution says the gov't is there to protect us and our borders, so they can bomb and kill anybody they want.

It does not say they are supposed to provide ice, education, healthcare or education. Run along now, you've been bitshslapped back to reality!

It is supposed to provide me with my passport and it is f'ing that up big time right now.

I still say you should buy a dog, maybe then you'd quit being all shy and hiding behind big government's skirt, ya pansy.

A Note from the desk of H8Tank to the USA:

Next time the ocean swallows one of your cities, F U, you're on your own.

(the really bad word)

the ice, how about spending the money on cleaning up some more of the

manure

around here? :D

Honestly, I could think of a lot things better to do with that money than use it to store ice in case of another hurricane. :D