[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen suspension reduced to 2 games

Hat Trick

Suspension of Chiefs’ Allen reduced to two games

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Jared Allen Jared Allen was planning to treat the first month of the Chiefs’ schedule as the offseason. He was going to head back to Arizona and work out with a trainer much as he did during the spring.

Allen, a starting defensive end, will have to rethink that strategy after learning that the NFL — after hearing his appeal — reduced his season-opening suspension from four games to two.

Allen will still miss the Sept. 9 season opener in Houston and the following Sunday’s game at Chicago. But he will now be available to play in the Sept. 23 home opener against Minnesota and, more important, the Chiefs’ first division game the following Sunday at San Diego.

“My whole approach has changed now,” Allen said. “With the whole four weeks, I was going to head back to Arizona and train as if I was in the offseason. Four weeks is quite a long time. Two weeks is a totally different game. Most likely I’ll just stay in Kansas City and stay ready to play.

“I’m excited about this. It changes training camp for me. It will change the way I approach preseason.”

The reason for the reduction wasn’t clear. Allen said he hasn’t read the letter he received from the NFL, which has yet to publicly announce his suspension. Chiefs officials were unavailable Sunday.

The suspension for violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy stems from Allen’s two DUI charges in Johnson County. He entered a diversion program in connection with the first charge and pleaded no contest to the second.

Allen will not be paid for the two games he misses.

This is hugh I think.

Rather than leave and train he should remain in football shape when he returns to the team.

I think it goes to show something about his character, he owned up after his last arrest, he appologized to family, friends, fans the org and said it wouldn't ever happen again, then shortly after he plead no contest and took his punishment and served his time. Goodell has stated he would reward for good behavior. With all the negative crap being spewed at us from all the arrests and repeat offenders it's good for me to see that good behavior is rewarded and owning up to your consequences.