[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter King's Power Rankings

Menudo

:D

I think that this year the AFC is going to be a wild race to the SB. NE is currently the media darling, with the acquisition of Moss & Thomas overriding an incredibly thin RB corps and a dramatically aging D that is showing some cracks in its secondary. IND also has issues at RB and I'd put them as a more well rounded and dangerous team than NE, to be honest.

SD is the most talented team overall in the AFC, but losing so many coaches, and then the hiring of Turner on top of that and his well documented history as a HC, as well as a suspect secondary make me wonder if they can pull it all together after the crushing disappointment of the NE playoff loss last season.

I do like what DEN has done in going back to what Shanahan knows best of any coach in the NFL - a smashmouth running game, but they have a lot of new pieces that all have to learn to mesh and function together. BAL has a QB who is rapidly approaching Methusala proportions for age and nothing credible to back him up, but that D just keeps losing pieces and still manages to be downright nasty. JAX has some talent on D, but geez, could they screw up their QB & WR situation any worse during the offseason? TEN is an interesting darkhorse - especially looking at how they played in the 2nd half of last season, as is CIN, whose talent on O is undeniable and if they can field a D that is simply mediocre could play with anyone for a one-game matchup. PIT has tremendous strength in some positions, but undeniable weaknesses in others, and has to transition from someone other than Cowher coaching them, and has to do it while Roethlisberger figures out how to grow up.

I like the Jets, and especially the way the've built their O-line, but it just seems as if there isn't enough there, there to put everything together and manage to compete with the top 4-5 teams in the conference. Still, while they're not sexy, they sure should play some very solid football, and while they don't have a great strength, they also don't seem to have a great weakness either.

It's going to be a very interesting year in the AFC. I'm looking forward to seeing which 6 teams have chairs when the music stops at the end of the season.

Great post. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Egret's Highly Un-scientific and Highly Biased Rankings

1) Baltimore

2) Indy

3) New England

4) Denver

5) New Orleans

6) Carolina

7) Cincinnati

8) Sand Diego

9) NYJ

10) Philly

11) Tennessee

12) Lions

13) San Francisco

14) Chicago

15) Seattle

16) Jacksonville

17) St. Louis

18) Buffalo

19) Green Bay

20) Dallas

21) Pittsburgh

22) Kansas City

23) NYG

24) Arizona

25) Tampa

26) Oakland

27) Houston

28) Minnesota

29) Atlanta

30) Washington

31) Cleveland

32) Miami

Bad Post. :D

:D

The only thing I can't agree with your post Billy, is about the TItans being a dark horse. They have nothing at the WR position. They let their best RB leave in FA. They lost their best CB to a year long suspension. They continue to sign Colts defensive cast-offs. :D Thornton, Harper, Gardner.

I think the Titans have taken a step back this season.

Edited by CaptainHook

Yes, you do - and he's going to be surprisingly good. Not great, I don't think, but very good.

You must be talking about our 5th rounder Baldwin.I have taken him in all my dynasties late and am very happy to have gotten him.he could produce some real good numbers but it will be more because of our lack of a MLB than it will because of his play.

Don't think you were talking about him but if you meant lenon I would really have to disagree there.

The only thing I can't agree with your post Billy, is about the TItans being a dark horse. They have nothing at the WR position. They let their best RB leave in FA. They lost their best CB to a year long suspension. They continue to sign Colts defensive cast-offs. :D Thornton, Harper, Gardner.

I think the Titans have taken a step back this season.

That's a pretty perceptive observation, and I may have overestimated them myself. I do believe that Young is a dynamic players that lifts others' performances around him, and I do like that they brought Brown back at RB.

We'll see, but reviewing my analysis, I have a feeling that your opinion may be closer to the truth.

My 5 minute, cut-paste, gut feeling power rankings with quick explanations for some picks...

1. New England Patriots

2. Indianapolis Colts

3. San Diego Chargers--I want to put them lower b/c of the coaching upheaval but just can't due to the talent.

4. New Orleans Saints

5. Cincinnati Bengals--Offense will be good and the D only has to improve only a little bit

6. Baltimore Ravens--Palmer seems to have the Ravens number and I just don't see the offense scoring enough points.

7. Chicago Bears--Someone has to win the NFC North, right?

8. Washington Redskins--I'll go out on a limb here... mostly due to continuity, in the 2nd year of Saunders, this team I believe is better than the one that made the playoffs in 2005. Landry replaces Archuleta and they have a savvy vet in Fletcher who's played with Williams before.

9. New York Jets

10. Seattle Seahawks--The NFC west has been so weak that I just can't put the Rams or Niners in the playoffs, yet.

11. Denver Broncos

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--This team needed an accurate, experienced QB. Last year's struggles were a product of erratic QB play and 2 rookies on OL. They added 2 (Lehr, Petitgout) vets to a young OL, all of whom are going into at least their 2nd full season together.

13. Jacksonville Jaguars

14. Carolina Panthers

15. Philadelphia Eagles--This is assuming McNabb doesn't make it through the season... which is a safe assumption lately. Reid is good enough to coach them close to the playoffs but AJ Feeley is bad enough to make them miss.

16. Dallas Cowboys--New coaches, 2nd season with TO... eeesh.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

18. St. Louis Rams--Really no major improvements on a D that can't stop the run.

19. New York Giants--They'll really miss Tiki even though they're trying to put a positive spin on his loss. The D is still inconsistent.

20. San Francisco 49'ers

21. Tennessee Titans

22. Kansas City Chiefs--LJ holdout looming, loss of All-Pro OLs, and a journeyman OR first year starting QB. The D is improved but not THAT much.

23. Arizona Cardinals

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Green Bay Packers

26. Buffalo Bills

27. Minnesota Vikings

28. Houston Texans

29. Cleveland Browns

30. Detroit Lions

31. Miami Dolphins--The defense can only carry this team so far. Green can stay healthy behind that abysmal line for only so long. Unfortunately not every offensive play can be a kick or punt return, Mr. Ginn.

32. Oakland Raiders--I want to rank them higher b/c of their D. Teams didn't have to pass much but the offense was so bad that opposing offenses often had short fields (they were next to last in yards allowed per point). OAK's D played usually good offenses very tough... Rams, AZ, and Pittsburgh comes to mind. They were blownout in the season opener vs. SD but they went on to give their division fits.

Edited by kingfish247

My 5 minute, cut-paste, gut feeling power rankings with quick explanations for some picks...

1. New England Patriots

2. Indianapolis Colts

3. San Diego Chargers--I want to put them lower b/c of the coaching upheaval but just can't due to the talent.

4. New Orleans Saints

5. Cincinnati Bengals--Offense will be good and the D only has to improve only a little bit

6. Baltimore Ravens--Palmer seems to have the Ravens number and I just don't see the offense scoring enough points.

7. Chicago Bears--Someone has to win the NFC North, right?

8. Washington Redskins--I'll go out on a limb here... mostly due to continuity, in the 2nd year of Saunders, this team I believe is better than the one that made the playoffs in 2005. Landry replaces Archuleta and they have a savvy vet in Fletcher who's played with Williams before. :D

9. New York Jets

10. Seattle Seahawks--The NFC west has been so weak that I just can't put the Rams or Niners in the playoffs, yet.

11. Denver Broncos

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--This team needed an accurate, experienced QB. Last year's struggles were a product of erratic QB play and 2 rookies on OL. They added 2 (Lehr, Petitgout) vets to a young OL, all of whom are going into at least their 2nd full season together.

13. Jacksonville Jaguars

14. Carolina Panthers

15. Philadelphia Eagles--This is assuming McNabb doesn't make it through the season... which is a safe assumption lately. Reid is good enough to coach them close to the playoffs but AJ Feeley is bad enough to make them miss.

16. Dallas Cowboys--New coaches, 2nd season with TO... eeesh.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

18. St. Louis Rams--Really no major improvements on a D that can't stop the run.

19. New York Giants--They'll really miss Tiki even though they're trying to put a positive spin on his loss. The D is still inconsistent.

20. San Francisco 49'ers

21. Tennessee Titans

22. Kansas City Chiefs--LJ holdout looming, loss of All-Pro OLs, and a journeyman OR first year starting QB. The D is improved but not THAT much.

23. Arizona Cardinals

24. Atlanta Falcons

25. Green Bay Packers

26. Buffalo Bills

27. Minnesota Vikings

28. Houston Texans

29. Cleveland Browns

30. Detroit Lions

31. Miami Dolphins--The defense can only carry this team so far. Green can stay healthy behind that abysmal line for only so long. Unfortunately not every offensive play can be a kick or punt return, Mr. Ginn.

32. Oakland Raiders--I want to rank them higher b/c of their D. Teams didn't have to pass much but the offense was so bad that opposing offenses often had short fields (they were next to last in yards allowed per point). OAK's D played usually good offenses very tough... Rams, AZ, and Pittsburgh comes to mind. They were blownout in the season opener vs. SD but they went on to give their division fits.

Are you a Redskins fan by any chance? I think you have them waaaaaaay too high. Are they awful? No. But to start them out at this point in the preseason at #8 ahead of Dallas and Philly is a joke (not to mention ahead of teams like Carolina, the Jets, and Denver). Maybe I'll eat my words later this season, but I think you are smoking crack with this one.

Are you a Redskins fan by any chance? I think you have them waaaaaaay too high. Are they awful? No. But to start them out at this point in the preseason at #8 ahead of Dallas and Philly is a joke (not to mention ahead of teams like Carolina, the Jets, and Denver). Maybe I'll eat my words later this season, but I think you are smoking crack with this one.

:D Falcons fan

Dallas... new coaching staff, Romo and the defense faded at the end of the season, TO's second year and they "shored up" their OL with... ex-Cardinal Leonard Davis.

Philly... their season will sink or swim with McNabb. Feeley is only a decent stop gap and the rookie likely won't be ready for that pass happy offense to lead them into the playoffs.

Giants... there are already rumors of finding Coughlin's replacement for 2008, the D remains inconsistent, new offense, no Tiki etc etc.

I'm not going to put my NFC East champ behind the 2 AFC wild cards, the NFC West champ, and the NFC South champ.

It might be :D but that's the logic behind my only real out there pick. It's not like the Redskins weren't there before... on their 2nd consecutive road playoff game they played the then dominant Seahawks pretty close. Campbell still has room to grow but the Skins will always be a run first team.

And about the Falcons... when you're in the bottom 1/4 of the league does it really matter who is 24 or 32? They all look like an exercise in futility at this point.

Edited by kingfish247

IF (and it's a big if) McNabb and Westbrook stay healthy the entire season, I think the Eagles are right up there with New Orleans, Carolina, and the Bears for NFC champion contenders. Then again, I may be a bit biased... :D

If McNabb and Westbrook stay healthy, they're in a class of there own in the NFC...