[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Help - Need to keep 3

chook

I need Keeper advice.

This will be the 9th year of this 10 team keeper leagues existence. I am questioning which 3 players to keep. Rules are simple.

All Touchdowns are 6 pts

1 pt per 20 yds REC, 25 yds PASS, 15 yds RUSH

Standard D/ST pts

Negative points for fumbles, INTs, etc.

Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D for an 18 man roster.

Each year we keep 3 players then snake draft from rounds 4 through 18 in the inverted order of finish the prior year.

Which 3 players should I keep? Here is my team

P. Rivers, J. Kitna, T. Romo

S. Jackson, L. Johnson, L. Maroney, C. Portis, P. Holmes, M. Turner, Leon Washington

M. Harrison, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, C. Chambers, J. Cotchery

J. Shockey, L.J. Smith

M. Stover

SD

Any advice is appreciated! I am scratching my head on

SJ, LJ, Maroney, Portis and Harrison

SJax & LJ are forgone conclusions - you keep both of them.

Then it comes down to Portis, Maroney, & Harrison. If you can only start 2 RBs, it's hard to justify keeping a bench RB and sacrificing one of the top WRs in the game, even though the RBs have better value. If you can start 3 RBs, it's still a tough call. Portis has more upside, but he has risk with Betts on the roster. Maroney doesn't have Portis' gaudy track record, but he also won't fight for carries. Both guys have injury issues.

I'd put all 3 of Portis, Maroney, & Harrion out for trade offers & see what they garner. Try to trade off two of them for draft picks & keep the one that is left.

SJax & LJ are forgone conclusions - you keep both of them.

Then it comes down to Portis, Maroney, & Harrison. If you can only start 2 RBs, it's hard to justify keeping a bench RB and sacrificing one of the top WRs in the game, even though the RBs have better value. If you can start 3 RBs, it's still a tough call. Portis has more upside, but he has risk with Betts on the roster. Maroney doesn't have Portis' gaudy track record, but he also won't fight for carries. Both guys have injury issues.

I'd put all 3 of Portis, Maroney, & Harrion out for trade offers & see what they garner. Try to trade off two of them for draft picks & keep the one that is left.

Stealing my usual line of advice... j/k

Agree with BB. SJ and LJ are the easy choices.

If you are unable to trade any of the others, I hold Harrison only because as much as I'd hate to let the RBs get back into the draft pool, points in your lineup are more valuable than keeping those RB points on your bench and off of your opponents lineups.

Thanks guys. I was swaying between Harrison and Maroney. Leaning toward Maroney since it is a keeper league. But I see how Harrison, LJ, and SJ would be phenominal to my starting line-up this year.

Can you trade before you have to decide? When is your deadline for declaring?

i would keep SJax, LJ and Maroney...................BUT, I would also look to trade 1 along with marvin for peyton manning or palmer, since your format seriously favors the QBs

Care to explain the bolded statement. I see nothing in his listed scoring and lineup rules that indicates the league in anyway "seriously favors" QBs

Care to explain the bolded statement. I see nothing in his listed scoring and lineup rules that indicates the league in anyway "seriously favors" QBs

Passing yardage & 6 ppTD both favor QB scoring - QBs are going to be heavy scorers in this league. WRs & TEs take the biggest hit with no ppr & the least relative value of yds amassed.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Passing yardage & 6 ppTD both favor QB scoring - QBs are going to be heavy scorers in this league. WRs & TEs take the biggest hit with no ppr & the least relative value of yds amassed.

You and I both know that the 6 per TD has almost no affect on overall QB value.

The only thing that may boost QBs a little bit is the yardage, but I would say that the yardage rules hurt WRs more than they help the QBs, particularly as compared to RBs. It may make me consider a Manning over the tier 1 WRs if I had an early to mid 2nd rounder, but it certainly is not a "serious favoring" by any stretch.

Maybe because all tds are the same and in most leagues the points for passing yardage is less valued at least half of what rush/rec yards are given. In this league it's 25 yds passing per point and 20 rec per point and 15 rush per point. None are even double and with the amount of passing yards a player will have in comparison to the rush/rec. yds of RBs and WRs, I'm thinking that's why QBs would be favored.

But again all QBs are playing under the same scoring system so I'd value them just as I would in any system.

Edited by irish

You and I both know that the 6 per TD has almost no affect on overall QB value.

The only thing that may boost QBs a little bit is the yardage, but I would say that the yardage rules hurt WRs more than they help the QBs, particularly as compared to RBs. It may make me consider a Manning over the tier 1 WRs if I had an early to mid 2nd rounder, but it certainly is not a "serious favoring" by any stretch.

I agree with you, but the way the scoring is skewed for yardage, actual points scored will start to take hold of value significantly in this league. Unless you have Tomlinson or Jackson, I think anyone without a top 5 scoring QB is going to have a tough time putting up enough points to compete for a championship.

I agree with you, but the way the scoring is skewed for yardage, actual points scored will start to take hold of value significantly in this league. Unless you have Tomlinson or Jackson, I think anyone without a top 5 scoring QB is going to have a tough time putting up enough points to compete for a championship.

Would be interesting to run some numbers on... I don't have the time to right now, but maybe later on.... simple comparison of say the top 25 overall value players under a "traditional" system of 4 per passing TD and rush/rec yardage at 1 per 10. Other factors staying the same.

Would be interesting to run some numbers on... I don't have the time to right now, but maybe later on.... simple comparison of say the top 25 overall value players under a "traditional" system of 4 per passing TD and rush/rec yardage at 1 per 10. Other factors staying the same.

Here's what I get for top 25 in a QB 4/20 & RB/WR 6/10 system, with no ppr & -1 for all TOs:

Rank Pos Player

1 RB LaDainian Tomlinson

2 RB Steven Jackson

3 RB Larry Johnson

4 RB Frank Gore

5 RB Brian Westbrook

6 RB Willie Parker

7 RB Joseph Addai

8 RB Travis Henry

9 RB Shaun Alexander

10 RB Rudi Johnson

11 RB Reggie Bush

12 RB Maurice Jones-Drew

13 RB Laurence Maroney

14 QB Peyton Manning

15 RB Clinton Portis

16 RB Brandon Jacobs

17 RB Cedric Benson

18 WR Chad Johnson

19 WR Steve Smith

20 WR Reggie Wayne

21 RB Edgerrin James

22 RB Willis McGahee

23 WR Torry Holt

24 WR Marvin Harrison

25 RB Ronnie Brown

Here's what I get in the system above:

Rank Pos Player

1 RB LaDainian Tomlinson

2 RB Larry Johnson

3 RB Steven Jackson

4 RB Willie Parker

5 RB Frank Gore

6 QB Peyton Manning

7 RB Joseph Addai

8 RB Brian Westbrook

9 RB Shaun Alexander

10 RB Rudi Johnson

11 RB Travis Henry

12 RB Laurence Maroney

13 RB Maurice Jones-Drew

14 RB Brandon Jacobs

15 RB Clinton Portis

16 RB Reggie Bush

17 QB Carson Palmer

18 RB Cedric Benson

19 QB Tom Brady

20 RB Willis McGahee

21 RB Edgerrin James

22 WR Chad Johnson

23 RB Thomas Jones

24 WR Reggie Wayne

25 RB Ronnie Brown

Brees is at #27 and Bulger is at #31

in my local...the scoring favors RB's who catch and QB's who are top 5...

now, the team that won had a mediocre QB...but had Gore, Bush, Portis, Boldin, Gonzo, KWII etc. etc.....this was the deepest 'freak' team....

of the 3 other teams that made it had, they had either Bulger and one team had Brees and Manning.....the other teams QB doesn't come to mind and the dominant teams usually have top QB's because the passing TD's escalate due to distance...

and just being 6 pts per TD...this is a factor, even if average QB's can put up numbers...

if you have a top QB with this scoring...it does manage to make a difference...

Over the past 9 years that this league has been in existance I have done very well. Mainly focusing on keeping running backs year after year. Then establishing a recieving corp. The QB position has not been my focus. Unless I can obtain Peyton, all the other QBs are not as consistant. I had a dominating season last year. I did have SJ, LJ, Harrison, and Housh but I won the league with Rivers, Romo, and Kitna as my Qbs. The year prior to I finished 2nd with Favre and Brad Johnson. The QB is an afterthought in my draft Strategy.

Is it suggested that I should change my draft strategy to

RB

QB

WR

?

Over the past 9 years that this league has been in existance I have done very well. Mainly focusing on keeping running backs year after year. Then establishing a recieving corp. The QB position has not been my focus. Unless I can obtain Peyton, all the other QBs are not as consistant. I had a dominating season last year. I did have SJ, LJ, Harrison, and Housh but I won the league with Rivers, Romo, and Kitna as my Qbs. The year prior to I finished 2nd with Favre and Brad Johnson. The QB is an afterthought in my draft Strategy.

Is it suggested that I should change my draft strategy to

RB

QB

WR

?

That would completely depend on what QBs were available at what time. If Manning is there in the mid 3rd, then sure take him, or Palmer in the mid 4th, sure, take him, great values at that spot. Beyond that, no need to push up when to draft a QB as you would still get a solid consistent performer using your 5th/6th round pick.

People saying that the scoring for QB's doesn't make a difference are not thinking it through. True, they all score the same, but the more friendly the QB scoring is, the farther away the top ones will be from the rest of the pack. This goes the same for all positions. I'll give an extreme example, to show what I mean...

For all positions, scoring is:

1pt per TD

1pt per 1000 yards rushing

1pt per 1 yard receiving

1pt per 1 yard passing

Yes, call me an overexaggerater, but it makes a point. Would a RB even be drafted in the first few rounds in this format? Well, perhaps Westbrook and Bush would make it.

In your scoring format, WR's are devalued, and QB's should be given extra consideration. I'd love the value of Bulger/Kitna in your league.