[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick Indicted

Beaumont

He's building more "goodwill" with letting this play out after Vick told him he had nothing to do with it then if he would suspend him before any decision is made. Don't you think?

No. That's a stretch with the facts at hand. Given that 50% of those polled in the Atlanta area have already said they want Vick cut, you can expect that number to go up as more details come out. With it near a majority in his homer city you can expect public pressure to come down on Goodell when more details come out and Vick is still taking snaps.

Seeing as how Vick probably needed a lot of focus on football to succeed this year in a new system, it it far more prudent for Blank to cut him and move on already, than go with a QB who will have to be preparinga vigorous defense in the middle of the football season.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. That's a stretch with the facts at hand. Given that 50% of those polled in the Atlanta area have already said they want Vick cut, you can expect that number to go up as more details come out. With it near a majority in his homer city you can expect public pressure to come down on Goodell when more details come out and Vick is still taking snaps.

Seeing as how Vick probably needed a lot of focus on football to succeed this year in a new system, it it far more prudent for Blank to cut him and move on already, than go with a QB who will have to be preparinga vigorous defense in the middle of the football season.

Where'd you get that number. What did someone ask his wife and kid and call it the Atlanta area?

On a side note, apparently crappy shoes from spammers got the message. Just heard on the radio they have now suspended production of the Air Zoom Vick.

Wow, that's quite an about-face from their comments yesterday.

I think that DMD's idea of Vick going on a paid hiatus might be more beneficial to the Falcons, whose lawyers are currently going through Vick's contract (and all of the restructuring) to see if they could recoup signing bonus money in the event of a conviction. At the very least, they should be able to get relief from the cap hit (if Vick's found guilty). They probably won't get that if they release him right now.

But I agree that they should prepare to move on with another starting QB right now.

As I understand Goodells-"conduct detreimental" to the league.....this is a federal indictment, and he is not going to suspend Vick? Methinks the Commish will look quite the hypocritical azz if he does not.

IIRC, that rule has to do with repeat offenders. Vick is not really in that category in the legal sense. At least, that's the reasoning that's being used right now. Personally, I agree that a FEDERAL charge like this should be treated in the same way as, say, multiple DUIs.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yeah and no number of polled. An overnight poll? I invision ATL being a much more drrrty city than you do. That poll means didly Sega!.

So you'll take facts from an article to bolster your side, but selectively dismiss other spots because you don't like it.

Sure it's not scientific, I'll bet a solid chunk of them aren't even NFL fans. It is a simple number that demonstrates even in the heart of his 'neck of the woods' he is well on his way to being run out of town.

You lose.

Yeah and no number of polled. An overnight poll? I invision ATL being a much more drrrty city than you do. That poll means didly Sega!.

ahem... from the article

In Atlanta, where Vick's name dwarfs all others in pro sports, about 46 percent of respondents in an overnight telephone poll conducted by Atlanta-based InsiderAdvantage think the Falcons should release Vick. About the same percentage said the team should keep him until a verdict is returned. About 8 percent of the 859 people polled had no opinion. The margin of error was plus or minus three percentage points.

I'll let you do the math and determine if that's an adequate sample size. Mebbe your math skillz are better than your reading comp.

Posted in another thread:

LINK

"The odds are pretty stacked against defendants once an indictment is issued; that pretty much seals their fate," said Mark Allenbaugh, a Huntington Beach, Calif., lawyer and nationally recognized expert on the federal court system. "Once the indictment is issued, conviction is almost guaranteed."

Between 2000 and 2005, 99 percent of the 435,000 federal criminal defendants prosecuted nationwide were convicted. The conviction rate was the same for the 2,130 criminal defendants prosecuted during that period in the Western District of Pennsylvania.

Of the 420 people prosecuted last year in the Western District, 415 were found guilty by plea or jury, according to the Administrative Office of U.S. Courts.

In other words, if the Feds get an indictment, they have pretty much gotten enough evidence accumulated to have almost literally an ironclad case.

I like how the word almost was bolded.

So you'll take facts from an article to bolster your side, but selectively dismiss other spots because you don't like it.

Sure it's not scientific, I'll bet a solid chunk of them aren't even NFL fans. It is a simple number that demonstrates even in the heart of his 'neck of the woods' he is well on his way to being run out of town.

You lose.

Yeah why not. I can disagree with any part of any article that is seems completely unfounding. According to my new poll 100% of people who live in the US think Vick should be able to play in the NFL until he is given a chance to go through due process.

I'll let you do the math and determine if that's an adequate sample size. Mebbe your math skillz are better than your reading comp.

Touche. I still don't care. As Pope brought up we have no idea if these people even knew who Vick was before this summer.

ahem... from the article

That's not a fair survey. Everyone knows that Vick's supporters in ATL probably don't have phones (or running water).

That's not a fair survey. Everyone knows that Vick's supporters in ATL probably don't have phones (or running water).

Vick's street cred is definetely up, but that's probably the only good thing about this situation. If that's a good thing. I think it's a good thing. Well sort of a good thing.

Broncos, I meant to get to this ages ago but forgot. You asked about why someone with millions would risk everything for the thousands bet on a dogfight.

It's simple - he likes dogfighting and he likes the people who hang with it. Logic doesn't enter into it - arrogance and the sense of invulnerability that penetrates most athletes to a greater or lesser extent are the drivers here. The millions he has are the enabler of what Vick probably always wanted - the betting is incidental to the wallowing in subhuman culture. THAT is where Vick and his ilk get their rocks off.

Repeat offenders is what I've heard. Vick has seemingly cleaned up his act while PacMan and Tank both had run ins after their talks with Goodell.

And if it were a 3rd string guy, he would be cut by now.

It just seems like Goodell and Blank are hiding behind the federal courts so they don't have to make a decision.

It just seems like Goodell and Blank are hiding behind the federal courts so they don't have to make a decision.

Bingo. Neither are doing themselves any good at all and the entire reason is the big pile of #7 shirts sitting in NFL.COM warehouses.

Broncos, I meant to get to this ages ago but forgot. You asked about why someone with millions would risk everything for the thousands bet on a dogfight.

It's simple - he likes dogfighting and he likes the people who hang with it. Logic doesn't enter into it - arrogance and the sense of invulnerability that penetrates most athletes to a greater or lesser extent are the drivers here. The millions he has are the enabler of what Vick probably always wanted - the betting is incidental to the wallowing in subhuman culture. THAT is where Vick and his ilk get their rocks off.

That's what I'm at as well. As with a lot of NFL players, he's from the hood and had hood dreams that this money would've enabled. But funding dogfighting? And burrying them in the backyard? I mean talk about sketch. Black sheds fenced off in the backyard? It seems like these guys didn't even try to hide it. Vick also would've definetely made up a move after that airport thing, after being confronted by Petrino, Blank, and McKay(or so I'd think).

Doesn't Vick have to enter a plea sometime next month? Given that 90% of people indicted by the feds plead down to a lesser charge, methinks that Goodell and Blank are expecting Vick to do the same. I'm expecting that they'll hammer him when he does.

Yes and you value a guy that you paid 100M , is the starting QB, is the face of franchise, and fills seats week in and week out differently than a 3rd string guy. Don't be so naive. Everyone was created equal doesn't mean that they are now.

Does a conviction mean that everyone is guilty or just that a guilty verdict was found on one count? I mean it's obvious that there was dog fighting and someone is going to fall.
Doesn't Vick have to enter a plea sometime next month? Given that 90% of people indicted by the feds plead down to a lesser charge, methinks that Goodell and Blank are expecting Vick to do the same. I'm expecting that they'll hammer him when he does.

Ok that 90% number is flying around a lot. Is it 90% of cases or 90% of people indicted?

Yeah why not. I can disagree with any part of any article that is seems completely unfounding. According to my new poll 100% of people who live in the US think Vick should be able to play in the NFL until he is given a chance to go through due process.

Good for you. Back to wwhat you said about Goodell: you're wrong and the longer this drags out the less goodwill he'll have from the majority of people. heck, it might be past that point already.

Vick is slime, and doesn't deserve preferential treatment