[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disaster waiting to happen

Grits and Shins

So I deliver my wife to the hospital for her surgery yesterday morning. It is going to be a 4+ hour surgery so once she goes into surgery I go home and wait with the kids where it is more comfortable and where I can work. I get the phone call from her doctor that she is in recovery and leave to return to the hospital so I can be there when she arrives in her room.

I'm on the way to the hospital fielding phone calls from concerned friends and relatives. I'm stopped at a light talking to my mother ... when a small boy of about 8 year taps on my window. He is standing there in swim trunks and no shirt ... HE ASKS IF I WILL GIVE HIM A RIDE TO THE POOL, which is just a couple blocks down the road.

I was absolutely caught off guard and was quite obviously distracted with issues of my own (my wife just coming out of major surgery) and so I responded that I could not and drove off.

But I've been thinking ... what should I have done? This is a disaster waiting to happen as some schmuck is liable to pick him up and take him some place he doesn't want to be. Should I have called 911? Where the hell were this kid's parents?

So I deliver my wife to the hospital for her surgery yesterday morning. It is going to be a 4+ hour surgery so once she goes into surgery I go home and wait with the kids where it is more comfortable and where I can work. I get the phone call from her doctor that she is in recovery and leave to return to the hospital so I can be there when she arrives in her room.

I'm on the way to the hospital fielding phone calls from concerned friends and relatives. I'm stopped at a light talking to my mother ... when a small boy of about 8 year taps on my window. He is standing there in swim trunks and no shirt ... HE ASKS IF I WILL GIVE HIM A RIDE TO THE POOL, which is just a couple blocks down the road.

I was absolutely caught off guard and was quite obviously distracted with issues of my own (my wife just coming out of major surgery) and so I responded that I could not and drove off.

But I've been thinking ... what should I have done? This is a disaster waiting to happen as some schmuck is liable to pick him up and take him some place he doesn't want to be. Should I have called 911? Where the hell were this kid's parents?

If I wasn't distracted with my wife, I would have pulled off the road and had the boy give me his phone number so I could call his parent. I would have got out of my car, I would have remained on the sidewalk, in plain view of people, while I spoke to him and his parent. This kid is going to end up on a milk carton. It appears his parents need to conduct some education with him.

You have chosen to ignore small boy in shorts

-Get to hospital as fast as you can as wife is coming out of surgery

-Squeeze me a little harder little boy in shorts

Easy decision for you at the time, but a screwed up situation nonetheless.

You have chosen to ignore small boy in shorts

-Get to hospital as fast as you can as wife is coming out of surgery

-Squeeze me a little harder little boy in shorts

Easy decision for you at the time, but a screwed up situation nonetheless.

:D Funny Chit :D

How old was he aproxamately? What kind of neighborhood was it? Too many question marks to make a good assessment.

Why didn't you wait at the hospital? Was it a very routine operation or you didn't have someone to sit with the kids?

Me, i would have stayed there until my wife is done. I think you are a very bad husband and need to be spanked.

But personally I would have dropped everything right there at that moment and had the kid call his parents. If he didn't want to give you the number I would have called the police right away.

Think about it, what if that was your kid? Wouldn't you want him treated with the same attention that would have given that boy? Doesn' t matter if you [or anyone else] says "My kid wouldn't do that".

that's just my 2 humps on it though.

Why didn't you wait at the hospital? Was it a very routine operation or you didn't have someone to sit with the kids?

Me, i would have stayed there until my wife is done. I think you are a very bad husband and need to be spanked.

But personally I would have dropped everything right there at that moment and had the kid call his parents. If he didn't want to give you the number I would have called the police right away.

Think about it, what if that was your kid? Wouldn't you want him treated with the same attention that would have given that boy? Doesn' t matter if you [or anyone else] says "My kid wouldn't do that".

that's just my 2 humps on it though.

Why should I spend 4 hours in the hospital waiting room when I live 5 minutes away? The doctor called me when she went to recovery and we talked about the surgery and I left directly for the hospital. I was not allowed to be with her in recovery and waited in her room for 45 minutes for her to be released from recovery.

I was not sure how long it would be until my wife was release from recovery and I absolutely wanted to be there for her when she came to her room, even though it is likley she wouldn't remember if I was not there. Had I spent the necessary time to attempt to hook this kid up with his parents I can't believe it would have made very much of a difference ... I mean after all they already were unaware of his whereabouts and he was asking for rides at a major intersection. I'd be willing to bet mom and dad were at work. I'm not sure the police would have come had I called them anyway.

One thing I did know for sure is that my wife needed me.