[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breaking News: Explosion in Manhattan

CaP'N GRuNGe

I'm 11 blocks away from that!!!

(on the rain/flooding - my house was out of power for 4 hrs today).

Don't go near it. They were talking about potential contaminates in the air like in previous explosions in the city. Asbestos, etc.

I believe 1 person died..

Huge Steam Blast Kills One in New York

By ADAM GOLDMAN ,AP

Posted: 2007-07-18 21:07:00

Filed Under: Nation

NEW YORK (July 18) - An underground steam pipe explosion tore through a Manhattan street near Grand Central Terminal on Wednesday, swallowing a tow truck and killing one person as hundreds of others ran for cover amid a towering geyser of steam and flying rubble. New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said the explosion was not terrorism.

Sixteen people were taken to Bellevue Hospital, including the person who died, said spokesman Stephen Bohlen. He said two seriously injured patients were being treated in the hospital's trauma unit. The remainder suffered minor injuries, he said.

Two people were in critical condition at New York Weill-Cornell Medical Center, said spokeswoman Emily Berlanstein.

A plume of steam and mud shot from the center of the blast, generating a tremendous roar. The initial burst of steam rose higher than the nearby 77-story Chrysler Building, one of Manhattan's tallest buildings. The air near the site was filled with debris.

Heiko H. Thieme, an investment banker, had mud splattered on his face, pants and shoes. He said the explosion was like a volcano. "Everybody was a bit confused, everybody obviously thought of 9/11."

Thousands of commuters evacuated the train terminal, some at a run, after workers yelled for people to get out of the building. A small school bus was abandoned just feet from the spot where the jet of steam spewed from the ground.

They're saying the one death was "cardiac arrest".. which I'm hoping means "old man's ticker stopped" as opposed to "someone got cooked by the 1000 degree steam until their heart 'arrested' out their mouth".

A doctor once pointed out to me that essentially all deaths involve cardiac arrest ...