[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick's career

Crazysight

Michael Vick's career  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is going to be the end result of all of this?

• Vick gets off scott-free and continues on as "the most exciting player in the NFL"
    • Suspension of less than a year
    • Suspended for a year
    • Short prison term ala Ray Lewis, plus possible suspension
    • By the time he gets out, career will be over

That 99% number came out of someone's a$$. The DOJ put the conviction rate at 90% (of which 96% pled guilty or no contest) for 2004, the most recent year for which data is available, according to the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics. However, the DOJ has an obvious incentive to inflate that number, as do defense attorneys. Independent studies put the conviction rate in the 65% to 80% range. And, according to those studies, 20%-25% of those convicted serve no jail time but instead face fines, probation, or both.

The odds are against him, but a lot of the "evidence" in that indictment looked like witness testimony from some shady guys who are trying to save their own butts. I don't think it would be too tough for a defense attorney to call their character into question. The physical evidence is damaging, but not impossible to dispute.

I'll stick with my original prediction.

Link to your independent studies, please. And also please note that we are talking about Federal indictments, not the entire justice system. The stats quoted are for the years 2000-2006 cumulative. I googled and saw some of the numbers you quoted from an article compiling stats from 1996, I believe.

I have a feeling that you are talking apples & oranges here.

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic