[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

I dont remember that Nirvana song...

It was released after Kurt blew his brains out... on some soundtrack or some other compilation album.

The Original VH was better the Van Hagar!

Musically, I agree. Then again, it wasn't Hagar's fault that Eddie wanted to play ghey synthesizer music and waste away from alcohol abuse after he joined. That said, I'd put For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge up against both 1984 and VH 1 any day.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gpoing to say something about Fleetwood Mac's inclusion in this poll, but feared the insults that would have been hurled at me. :D

I just guessing that your estrogen count was a bit high today.

That said, I'd put For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge up against both 1984 and VH 1 any day.

The only thing any Van Halen record post-1984 could go up against is the porcelain wall of a urinal while I take a whizz on it.

Boy, that's tough. I put a lot of stock into how well a band plays live, so I'd say it's a tie between the Dead and Pearl Jam. Nothing beats great live music.

If we did a new poll only going on live chops, I'd like to include Phish.

I was gpoing to say something about Fleetwood Mac's inclusion in this poll, but feared the insults that would have been hurled at me. :D

All but Buckingham and Nicks were born in England. Rumours is a great album. I just watched an episode of Classic Albums on VH1 Classic. Great series where they go into the production of one album track by track. They just had one on about Rumours with tons of interviews.

All but Buckingham and Nicks were born in England. Rumours is a great album. I just watched an episode of Classic Albums on VH1 Classic. Great series where they go into the production of one album track by track. They just had one on about Rumours with tons of interviews.

I've seen that episode and it's a pretty good series. They need some new ones, however.

Its all the angry alienation counterculture thing.

And that's really the essence of rock'n'roll. As soon as it becomes comfortable, as in 1963, 1976 and circa 1989, it's necessary to give it a jolt to reanimate it.

How about Jimmy Hendrix Experience? Defenitly would knock GNR or Metallica outa there.

Mitchell and Redding were both British and Hendrix got nowhere until he went to England. It's a stretch to call them American (though Jimi was of course).

Mitchell and Redding were both British and Hendrix got nowhere until he went to England. It's a stretch to call them American (though Jimi was of course).

I beg to differ. Jimi Hendrix really got well known at Monterey. That was way before his BBC sessions.

And that's really the essence of rock'n'roll. As soon as it becomes comfortable, as in 1963, 1976 and circa 1989, it's necessary to give it a jolt to reanimate it.

Eh, not so sure about that. There was a lot of great music back in the '90s (Phish, Oasis, The Verve, The Charlatans UK, Blur, The Beasties, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) that had nothing to do with counter-culture anger.

I beg to differ. Jimi Hendrix really got well known at Monterey. That was way before his BBC sessions.

Hmmmm. :D

Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter. Hendrix is considered one of the greatest and most influential guitarists in rock music history.[1] After initial success in England, he achieved worldwide fame following his 1967 performance at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Wikipedia

and

Early in 1966 at the Cheetah Club on West 21st Street, Linda Keith, the girlfriend of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, befriended Hendrix and recommended him to Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham and producer Seymour Stein. Neither man took a liking to Hendrix's music, however, and they both passed. She then referred him to Chas Chandler, who was ending his tenure as bassist in The Animals and looking for talent to manage and produce. Chandler was enamored with the song "Hey Joe" and was convinced that he could create a hit single by remaking it into a rock song.

Impressed with Hendrix's version, Chandler brought him to London and signed him to a management and production contract with himself and ex-Animals manager Michael Jeffery. Chandler then helped Hendrix form a new band, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, with guitarist-turned-bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell, both British musicians. Shortly before the Experience was formed, Chandler introduced Hendrix to Pete Townshend and to Eric Clapton, who had only recently formed Cream. At Chandler's request, Cream let Hendrix join them on stage for a gig. Hendrix and Clapton remained friends up until Hendrix's death.

After a number of European club appearances, word of Hendrix spread through the London music community. His showmanship and virtuosity made instant fans of reigning guitar heroes Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, as well as members of The Beatles and The Who, whose managers signed Hendrix to The Who's record label, Track Records.

Hendrix's first single was a cover of "Hey Joe", crafted after folk-singer Tim Rose's slower revision of the song and adapted to Hendrix's emerging style. Backing the first single was Jimi's first songwriting effort, "Stone Free". Further success came with "Purple Haze" and "The Wind Cries Mary". The three singles were all UK Top 10 hits. Onstage, Hendrix was also making a huge impression with fiery renditions of the B.B. King hit "Rock Me Baby" and an ultra-fast revision of Howlin Wolf's blues classic, "Killing Floor".

Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter. Hendrix is considered one of the greatest and most influential guitarists in rock music history.[1] After initial success in England, he achieved worldwide fame following his 1967 performance at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Kinda reinforces my point dosent it?

Anyway, I wasnt aware that he got so popular in the UK before he got here. Ya learn something new every day.

Dire Straits hands down. Then the Police and THEN ABBA. :D

That little fa@@ot got his own jet airplane… the little fa@@ot is a millionaire. Kicked off the "I want my MTV" push... back when there were a grand total of 10 music videos and the whole concept was new.