[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe HR is in and out of the band depending on his psyche...I'm fairly positive he was with the band at Sasquatch.

ooooooh. . well, if he's with the band, then I'd consider making the trip. . . "I Against I" is easily on the short list of greatest rock albums no one's ever heard. . . .I think I smell a new thread. . .

van halen sucks. they really do. i kind of enjoy some of their earlier stuff from a guilty pleasure, flashback to when i was 10 years old standpoint. the haggar era stuff is just dreck. they epitomize everything that was wrong and lame with "hard" rock in the 80s. yuck. put their music next to something like husker du and watch VH get squashed like the pathetic little phaggy hairspray-and-spandex wankers they are. :D

Roth era VH rocked hard.... In fact, Roth era Roth (Eat em and Smile) is on eof the greatest, criminally forgotten classics of rock.

And Axl Rose and hairspray have nothign to do with the awesomeness of Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion's.

HR ain't in the band no more, and they got 2 honkeys. . .as far as I'm concerned, it ain't Bad Brains you missed.

I was under the impression it was the classic lineup - HR, Dr Know, Darryl Jennifer, and, uh, the drummer - Earl Hudson? Maybe you had them confused with 24-7 Spyz.

I was thinking about this thread this morning and realized that I forgot all about The Black Crowes who IMO is the best Rock band to come out in the last 20 years here or abroad.

I was thinking about this thread this morning and realized that I forgot all about The Black Crowes who IMO is the best Rock band to come out in the last 20 years here or abroad.

That must be why you forgot them. That's typical for bands who are the best in the past couple decades. :D

Who can argue with a guy whose screen name is Cap'N GRuNGe?

To start 2 new arguments:

1. Although "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the calling card of an entire musical movement, the greatest grunge song of all time is and always will be "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney. Any other votes?

2. The first true grunge song ever written was the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" (1968). Any other votes?

Regarding #2, i've also seen Sabbath's tune "Sweet Leaf" referred to as an early grunge song (1971)...

I was under the impression it was the classic lineup - HR, Dr Know, Darryl Jennifer, and, uh, the drummer - Earl Hudson? Maybe you had them confused with 24-7 Spyz.

Holy damn. . .I think you're right. I owned 24-7's first 2 albums and saw them live more than once. Between Spyz and Monster Magnet, this board is really bringing out the college freshman in me.

Regarding #2, i've also seen Sabbath's tune "Sweet Leaf" referred to as an early grunge song (1971)...

One of the many reasons Sabbath is so pivotal in 20th century music. Not only the fathers of heavy metal, they're also a direct ancestor of the Seattle sound.

Okay, I will admit that I gave up reading after about the first 9 pages of this post but I will second the more obscure Supersuckers. :D

This is simpy subjective opinion but......

There's no mention of The Reverend Horton Heat!!!!!

There's also no mention of one of the most influential bands ever: DEVO :D

RATM, QOTSA and NIN kick some ass too dammit