[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, anyone picking Nirvana should find a cabinet door and close there head repeatedly against it.

Cobain=Ricky Ricardo

Nostlavich or however you spell his name=Spare.

Dave Grohel is the exception to the suck that Nirvana beat us down with...

Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction and Alice In Chains were ten times better than Nirvana.

It's also worthless because the author doesn't realize that if two things tie for 15th place, the next thing in line is not in 16th place.

I noticed that. 11th and 16th places too that's a top 23, not a top 20.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Furthermore, anyone picking Nirvana should find a cabinet door and close there head repeatedly against it.

Cobain=Ricky Ricardo

Nostlavich or however you spell his name=Spare.

Dave Grohel is the exception to the suck that Nirvana beat us down with...

Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction and Alice In Chains were ten times better than Nirvana.

The Nirvana debate/debacle has been going on for many moons, and is ultimately subjective. I will say as someone who largely dismissed Nirvana, during their heyday, I have come to respect them more with time. Jane's Addiction was hugely innovative and deserves mention amongst the best. Pearl Jam and Alice....sure, I guess. PJ reminds me of GNR with one great rock album but had a better repertoire to pull off a life long super respected critically acclaimed band. AIC had some awesome dark lyrics and harmonies, but I think they were as almost as much of a one-trick pony as Nirvana, and I absolutely love some of their stuff. For all the Seattle grunge bands, Mark Lanegan's Screaming Trees sounds as relevant and modern as any of them, but everyone forgets them.

Nirvana was an epitome of good rock. The bass player and guitarist sucked on a technical level but they could write better music than 99.99% of bands with ultra talented musicians that could change tempos and keys on a dime but couldn't write a catchy riff to save their lives. Nirvana knew where they stood and didn't flaunt it or care. It amazes me how few rock musicians get the key to great rock music.

As far as your mention of Faith No More, I'm not so sure they deserve to be mentioned amongst the best American rock bands, but I'd put Mike Patton as one of the top/best innovative American rock musicians from the last 20 years or so (god I'm getting old).

As far as influencing music, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are tied, but Elvis was the friggin Man hands down.

I disagree. Pearl Jam didn't influence in nearly the same way Nirvana did. Eddie Vedder is a near perfect gene-splice between Neil Young and Chris Cornell. He's a nearly perfect front man, and a GREAT rock star. But Cobain is a one of a kind rock idol, and a the face of a generation that hundreds of bands tried to copy, and all came up short. He's like a Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin or John Lennon - a true icon.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Vedder is like the Monkeys. Kurt is like the Beatles.

Ah, youth. . .

If you were 20 in 1991 and MTV had shoved bands like Winger and Poison into your brain for the previous 10 years, you'd know how important Nirvana was in the history of music.

KISS should be in there somewhere. Not at the top spot, but definately top 20, considering the influence they have had on American rock.
I was thinking the same thing. They are not the greatest musicians (and they know that) but in the ealry 70's when they hit big it was all Brish bands coming over. KISS took off and kicked the rest of the world in nuts in the name of the America. The rest of the world was shown that American music was going to be a force to be reckoned with...whether it lasted or not.

Anyway, nothing screams America more than Eddie's guitar. If someone would have told me Pearl Jam was from Sweden I would have believed them.

Of the bands listed, only the Doors or the Eagles could possibly get my vote.

Creedence deserves mention.

My personal favorites aren't even listed: Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers. Yes, it's been played to death, but Free Bird is still the greatest rock n roll song ever written, IMHO, since Johnny B. Goode.

Pearl Jam? get serious - a couple of good albums does not equal "greatest american band"

Greatful Dead? I was never THAT stoned

Van Halen? not a chance, man cannot live by guitar solo alone

And honerable mention for Skynyrd and Allman Bros!

Edited by NSab

Van Halen? not a chance, man cannot live by guitar solo alone

Van Halen ain't guitar solo alone. In their prime (VH II through 1984), David Lee Roth was supremo badass #1. We ALL wanted to grow up and be as cool as him.

And yet, there's the Dead with 5 votes. It's easy to bash them, but they didn't define a generation, they influenced several generations. They were as popular when Jerry died as they were during the heyday of the sixties. Their influence extended beyond music into our very culture. Van Halen was the only other band to come to mind as they redefined Pop-Rock during the early eighties and Eddie is a freak on guitar. Had they gone on to survive as a musical group into the new millenia they most certainly would have gotten my vote, but they didn't.

Ah, youth. . .

If you were 20 in 1991 and MTV had shoved bands like Winger and Poison into your brain for the previous 10 years, you'd know how important Nirvana was in the history of music.

well, the previous 10 years also had bands like husker du, sonic youth, the replacements. nirvana changed MTV a lot, but their importance to the history of music has more to do with the fact that they got really, really popular than it does any revolutionary qualities in their music. personally, i'd say they were a really good band, but probably not top 5 when it comes to "greatest american rock bands ever".