[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

I disagree. Pearl Jam didn't influence in nearly the same way Nirvana did. Eddie Vedder is a near perfect gene-splice between Neil Young and Chris Cornell. He's a nearly perfect front man, and a GREAT rock star. But Cobain is a one of a kind rock idol, and a the face of a generation that hundreds of bands tried to copy, and all came up short. He's like a Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin or John Lennon - a true icon.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Vedder is like the Monkeys. Kurt is like the Beatles.

I don't know..... part of me thinks that Nirvana wouldn't be getting all the accolades they do now if Cobain hadn't blown his face off.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Pearl Jam didn't influence in nearly the same way Nirvana did. Eddie Vedder is a near perfect gene-splice between Neil Young and Chris Cornell. He's a nearly perfect front man, and a GREAT rock star. But Cobain is a one of a kind rock idol, and a the face of a generation that hundreds of bands tried to copy, and all came up short. He's like a Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin or John Lennon - a true icon.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Vedder is like the Monkeys. Kurt is like the Beatles.

I can't roll with that. Ten is still among the best albums ever, and as a debut it's amazing. They keep releasing great stuff, and are freakin' great live. Great.

Vedder is like Roger Clemens and Cobain is more like Koufax. Maybe he burned a little hotter at a time, but excellence over time wins out IMO.

That USA Today poll had Aero$hit as #2 so it's clearly worthless.

I do believe we've done this exact question here before, maybe a year ago.

yeah, I brought it up maybe because of the USA today. we then talked about it in the office and we were at the old office then. at least a year and a half ago so it's safe to bring it up again. The statute of limitations on repeat posts expires after 6 months. Man law.

And I voted for REM

Greatest ever.... that is a hard title to place on just one band as there are several that have contributed over time.

CCR was, without doubt, the #1 during the British invasion. No other "American" band came close.

Allman Brothers spawned a zillion clones of "Southern" Rock bands.

Doors. What a great group!

Queen. Not sure if every member was "American" which would eliminate them from contention.

Ramones, Blondie, and some others were very influential in the direction music went during their time....and thanks to Blondie we have Rap. :D

Guess my pick would be CCR followed closely by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Allman Brothers and Doors next.

Ah, youth. . .

If you were 20 in 1991 and MTV had shoved bands like Winger and Poison into your brain for the previous 10 years, you'd know how important Nirvana was in the history of music.

I've railed against this statement for years now.

I was 18 and enjoying a lot of bands without names like Great White Poison Snake. Also, ironically, MTV, was all about Nirvana starting with Nevermind in 1991. Perhaps you just needed to change the channel.

I've railed against this statement for years now.

I was 18 and enjoying a lot of bands without names like Great White Poison Snake. Also, ironically, MTV, was all about Nirvana starting with Nevermind in 1991. Perhaps you just needed to change the channel.

yup

You're making my point for me. Nirvana won MTV back. Unfortunately, not permanently.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

I can't roll with that. Ten is still among the best albums ever, and as a debut it's amazing. They keep releasing great stuff, and are freakin' great live. Great.

Vedder is like Roger Clemens and Cobain is more like Koufax. Maybe he burned a little hotter at a time, but excellence over time wins out IMO.

Great analogy. :D

well, the previous 10 years also had bands like husker du, sonic youth, the replacements. nirvana changed MTV a lot, but their importance to the history of music has more to do with the fact that they got really, really popular than it does any revolutionary qualities in their music. personally, i'd say they were a really good band, but probably not top 5 when it comes to "greatest american rock bands ever".

Very well said...they definately changed the MTV culture but were not nearly as revolutionary as many make them out to be...

Edited by alexgaddis

You're making my point for me. Nirvana won MTV back. Unfortunately, not permanently.

they won MTV back? when was MTV ever this great bastion of quality music? back when they were playing duran duran? i don't really get it..

your handle reminds me of a couple others. the mothers of invention, and captain beefheart's magic band. THAT is quality music.

your handle reminds me of a couple others. the mothers of invention, and captain beefheart's magic band. THAT is quality music.

El Capitano could be very good but also completely unintelligible. Likewise Zappa when the mood took him. It isn't surprising that a jazz aficionado would be a fan of either of these.

mostly because they sought out really good musicians.

I would not say that TRout Mask Replica was filled with good musicians. Zappa is a different story.

I would not say that TRout Mask Replica was filled with good musicians.

eh, he changed personnel a lot so i can't recall who was on that particular album. in any case, i don't know why that is always considered to be his seminal album or whatever, the one beefheart disc most rock collectors have on their shelf. 'safe as milk', for one, is way better in terms of musicianship and overall listenability.

eh, he changed personnel a lot so i can't recall who was on that particular album. in any case, i don't know why that is always considered to be his seminal album or whatever, the one beefheart disc most rock collectors have on their shelf. 'safe as milk', for one, is way better in terms of musicianship and overall listenability.

That I would agree with. TMR gets the most press solely because it was during this period that he had his closest association with Zappa. Were it not for FZ, the good Captain would have never made it past the dollar bin.