[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

I know Kurt Cobain wasn't genius enough to figure out how to get through life. And his wife was/is a phsycho druggie. That's some righteous legacy, man.

Leaving aside the irrelevancy of Cobain's wife, it's worth pointing out that genius very often struggles mightily with "getting through life". This isn't just a rock music trait, though God knows there's enough casualties in that arena (the biggest, IMO, is Hendrix who was indisputably a genius). Art in general is littered with geniuses or near geniuses who simply couldn't cope with everyday existence. I am by no means calling Cobain a genius, just pointing out that genius in any field and everyday life often don't mix well.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cultural significance? no. musical significance, yes. the problem with judging popular music, like rock, is that the line between the two isn't always so clear.

k

I say booey to cultural significance.

I understand musical significance, which I assume means other bands emulate. But that would make American Idol one of the greateast American TV show, because there are now 15 shows that copy it.

It's all personal preference, but this argument is fun on a Friday.

I like Allman Bros. They had definite musical significance (other S. Rock bands). Little/no cultural significance. Don't care. Duane Allman could play a slide like nobody before him.

I like Bad Company. I don't think they have any (real) musical or cultural significance. Thought they had a great singer and sound.

I like Bob Seger. Lyrics tell stories that remind you of High School. But I don't even care about that. I like the music/sound. Was very good in concert years ago.

Musical taste is highly subjective. It depends what speaks to you. I love the grunge era music. My wife loves hair metal. :doh: My 2 1/2 year old son loves John Lennon and the Grateful Dead. :D He always wants me to put it on the "guitar channel" on Sirius in the car (Jam_On).

I think it's like trying to compare RBs/QBs/WRs from different eras in football. It's tough to do. Was Barry better than Jim Brown? :D Is LaDainian better than Emmitt? :tup: It's much easier to say who is the best of the different eras.

"Brilliant" is too strong? How 'bout "lucid" or "well-crafted". This whole argument is silly because music is very personall in preference. YOu think Nirvana changed the culture of an entire generation, I think they're guys who couldn't hold a real job. Tomato, Tomahto.

:D

After this post I may actually agree with your brilliance. Of course I'm an idiot. But the fact of the matter is Nirvana did influance a generation. People dressed different. Music changed. yadda yadda yadda. This doesnt mean they are "genius" or even good. IIt just means a lot of kids got stoned and dressed in flannal shirts and ripped jeans. I feel the same way about the Dead. Just because a bunch of people didnt want to work and travalled around the country dropping acid and smoking Josh Gordon doesnt make them a great band. Of course, if was old enough to do that I probably would have. Which brings me to your point of music being subjective, I concur. Nothing like typing a huge response when a couple words would have worked just to kill the last 10 minutes of work on a Friday!! :D

I voted for Grateful Dead. Despite my screen name, I'm not a dead head but went to a number of concerts.

I considered only the bands where I have attended their concerts, because I think a live concert really shows a band's talent. Their improvisation, changing a hit song and making it better and entertaining on stage. Of the list beside The Dead, I've seen Bruce, The Eagles, and REM.

I've been straight, stoned, really stoned and backstage to Grateful Dead and was always entertained. No two concerts were ever alike and their improvisation was what made them so fun.

Springsteen was awesome in concert, and almost voted for them, but it's really HIM and think of Bruce as a solo artist. I saw him in 76 before he became famous and didn't have any hit songs-the only song I recongnized was a remake of Blinded by the Light. The next chance I had to see him in 83, he was playing in a hugh stadium and didn't want to see him in such a big venue.

REM totally disappointed. They didn't change any of their songs-it was like listening to an album. They just went through the motions and didn't seem to really try to entertain. It was at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley which is a really great place for a band to perform a concert.

I did enjoy The Eagles but don't really consider them a true hard rock band.

I voted for Grateful Dead. Despite my screen name, I'm not a dead head but went to a number of concerts.

I considered only the bands where I have attended their concerts, because I think a live concert really shows a band's talent. Their improvisation, changing a hit song and making it better and entertaining on stage. Of the list beside The Dead, I've seen Bruce, The Eagles, and REM.

I've been straight, stoned, really stoned and backstage to Grateful Dead and was always entertained. No two concerts were ever alike and their improvisation was what made them so fun.

Springsteen was awesome in concert, and almost voted for them, but it's really HIM and think of Bruce as a solo artist. I saw him in 76 before he became famous and didn't have any hit songs-the only song I recongnized was a remake of Blinded by the Light. The next chance I had to see him in 83, he was playing in a hugh stadium and didn't want to see him in such a big venue.

REM totally disappointed. They didn't change any of their songs-it was like listening to an album. They just went through the motions and didn't seem to really try to entertain. It was at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley which is a really great place for a band to perform a concert.

I did enjoy The Eagles but don't really consider them a true hard rock band.

Born to Run was out by then. Blinded by the light was actually written and recorded by Springsteen first. Was a flop for him. Recorded by ?? and became a hit for them.

u have all forgotten about BTO

Sky is correct. BTO were either partially or totally Canadian. BTO was formed from the Guess Who. Burton Cummings was an awesome vocalist.

And Bad Company were British. Paul Rogers came from Free and Mick Ralphs came from Mott The Hoople.

This thread could go on forever, but I love it!

I thought it was them and then for some reason I thought of the Steve Miller band.

Wasn't sure.

Springsteen's version is not very good.

Yeah, when Bruce belted out "madman's drummers bummers indians in the summer..." he sounded like he just got through drinkin a fifth.

I wanna say Manfred Man did another Springsteen song. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Boss wrote Spirits In The Night also.

I thought it was them and then for some reason I thought of the Steve Miller band.

Wasn't sure.

Springsteen's version is not very good.

I like it. Born to run was the second album I had growing up, so I've always been a Bruce fan. LZ III was the first... damn I wish I would have kept that album cover. LZ made some sort of deal with the record company where they could do whatever they wanted with the covers. I'm pretty sure Pearl Jam has the same deal, because a lot of their CD's are out of form factor. Back to the topic, I really can't believe Van Halen is leading this. Agree the guitar was "revolutionary", but the lyrics were idiotic. I'll change my mind again after reading this and give a tie to the Doors and Pearl Jam. No love for Neil Young? I really don't like the Crazy Horse twangy guitar, but Rust Never Sleeps is prolly in my top ten favorite CD's.

Since this thread comes up on a bi-annual basis, I always wait for someone to bring up MC5, and since it is page 10 I'll do it.

Some people were astounded that Steeley Dan, Queensryche, and even Nickelback or Dave Matthews Band hadn't been brought up for perspective.