[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I like them all, Pearl Jam is one of my all time favorite bands, but I like the harder stuff just a little more and Metallica is hands down the cream of the crop on this list.

After that many posts, and no one mentioned Queensryche. As far as consistently good in each album they win hands down in my book. They also put on a great show.

I did not vote, but Metallica would be my favorite out of the group.

And for those arguing that Nirvana wasn't all that musically, you're looking at it all wrong.

Did Kobain and co. have the chops of an Eddie Van Halen? No.

Did the band have an unprecedented amazingly emotional "heart on your sleeve" type sonic fury? Unlike bubble gum crap like VH? Hells yeah.

:D

I've heard of Nirvana described as Punk meets the Beatles. And I have to agree. Especially if you listen to Incesticide.

i disagree with that. grunge was an enormous fad that essentially came and went in the span of a few years. don't get me wrong, as fads go, it was a GOOD fad -- the music was pretty good, and it killed vapid hair metal bands (like van halen :D:D ). but punk changed EVERYTHING about rock n' roll from the late 70s forward. THAT is a true "revolution".

I dunno, punk per se didn't last much longer than grunge but it's effects are still felt, it is true. Where it was really successful was in moving music back to the garage band. I think the effects of grunge are still being felt too in much the same manner.

i disagree with that. grunge was an enormous fad that essentially came and went in the span of a few years. don't get me wrong, as fads go, it was a GOOD fad -- the music was pretty good, and it killed vapid hair metal bands (like van halen :D :D ). but punk changed EVERYTHING about rock n' roll from the late 70s forward. THAT is a true "revolution".

Do you believe mainstream R&R now has more punk or grunge influence? Bands like The Killers, Death Cab, Modest Mouse and the Long Winters seem to embrace the non-glam essence of grunge. I'm not into punk so I'm not sure of its place in today's mainstream.

And for those arguing that Nirvana wasn't all that musically, you're looking at it all wrong.

Did Kobain and co. have the chops of an Eddie Van Halen? No.

You're correct that Kurt and Krist could barely play their instruments and sounded awful live.

Did the band have an unprecedented amazingly emotional "heart on your sleeve" type sonic fury? Unlike bubble gum crap like VH? Hells yeah.

You mean the same "bubble gum crap" that the Beatles, Stones, and The Who put out? :D

No offense to Nirvana or the people who worship them, but suggesting that they were a better band than Van Halen is kind of silly.

Do you believe mainstream R&R now has more punk or grunge influence? Bands like The Killers, Death Cab, Modest Mouse and the Long Winters seem to embrace the non-glam essence of grunge. I'm not into punk so I'm not sure of its place in today's mainstream.

There'd be no grunge without punk. All of the grunge era bands listened to and were influenced by punk bands.

You're correct that Kurt and Krist could barely play their instruments and sounded awful live.

You mean the same "bubble gum crap" that the Beatles, Stones, and The Who put out? :D

No offense to Nirvana or the people who worship them, but suggesting that they were a better band than Van Halen is kind of silly.

VH, for the billionth time, are vastly overrated. "I'm your ice cream man?" Oh yeah, that's revolutionary music.

VH, for the billionth time, are vastly overrated. "I'm your ice cream man?" Oh yeah, that's revolutionary music.

Yeah, and "I hate myself and I want to die" is soooo much better. :D

I'd argue that Eddie's use of tapping, harmonics, and the modifications that he made to his guitars and amps were most certainly revolutionary. Oh, and they could actually play their instruments competently enough to put on a good live show and managed to put out more than three studio albums.

And don't get me wrong, I hold Nirvana in pretty high regard. Kurt was a very, very good songwriter and his band did change the music scene significantly. Hell, they were arguably the predecessors to the Emo scene.

Edited by Bill Swerski

There'd be no grunge without punk. All of the grunge era bands listened to and were influenced by punk bands.

hell, nirvana WAS a punk band. a good one, and little more.

Grunge, Alternative, whatever. Yep, its mostly the evolution of punk. Its all the angry alienation counterculture thing.

Put me on the list of people who absolutely can't stand the Doors. Unless you want to lie around shooting heroine until you kill yourself, then it's the perfect mood music.

Sacrilage!

I always liked Hagar more than Roth. Roth's shtick got old after a while and Hagar has a better voice.

The Original VH was better the Van Hagar!

I always liked Hagar more than Roth. Roth's shtick got old after a while and Hagar has a better voice.

And here I thought you were just trying to be annoying all this time, but the fact is you have a debilitating character flaw.