[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

Be that as it may, it seems to me it would be even more difficult to classify the Jimi Hendrix experience as British, and you gotta' group them in somewhere, don't you? :D

Wasn't really trying to classify them as anything, though two thirds of them being British and Hendrix having got his career launched in Britain and Europe might disqualify the Experience from this particular poll.

Kinda reinforces my point dosent it?

Anyway, I wasnt aware that he got so popular in the UK before he got here. Ya learn something new every day.

Glad to be of service. I would argue that Hendrix would never have been at Monterrey but for the launching of his career in the UK and Europe, which spread the word to the US. The UK "establishment" at that time had a more adventurous outlook on music than the US and also had the hugh advantage of the BBC being willing to give a platform to something new. Hendrix appeared on many early evening family TV shows.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dire Straits hands down. Then the Police and THEN ABBA. :D

Sorry, you metioned CCR earlier. I'll go w/ that! :D

CCR was, without doubt, the #1 during the British invasion. No other "American" band came close.
Edited by rocknrobn26

I think they were three fourths British. Certainly Freddie Mercury was.

Freddie Mercury was actually born in Zanzibar. Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon were all British to the bone.

Still, arguably THE arena-rock band that set the standard.

I would say the latter, but as Sheik mentioned, putting the death nail in Winger/Warrant/Great White coffin was an achievement that we are too quick to forget. :D

There was some good stuff - much like just about ANY music scene, the music industry business model took a few early innovators and LCD'ed* 'em down with subsequent signings (and subsequent releases by early artists). Hence you go from Def Leppard's High N'Dry to Warrant's Cherry Pie within about 10 years.

* - LCD - Lowest Common Denominator

It was released after Kurt blew his brains out... on some soundtrack or some other compilation album.

Musically, I agree. Then again, it wasn't Hagar's fault that Eddie wanted to play ghey synthesizer music and waste away from alcohol abuse after he joined. That said, I'd put For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge up against both 1984 and VH 1 any day.

Fair Warning owns 'em all.

I was gpoing to say something about Fleetwood Mac's inclusion in this poll, but feared the insults that would have been hurled at me. :D

Well, from s/t to Tango in the Night Cali-bred Buckingham/Nicks were the songwriting engine of the Mac, so it isn't COMPLETELY off base. :D

Eh, not so sure about that. There was a lot of great music back in the '90s (Phish, Oasis, The Verve, The Charlatans UK, Blur, The Beasties, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) that had nothing to do with counter-culture anger.

....but several of them did have the alienation thing going.

In reference to the actual poll -

I loves me some PJ, they have the legs but just don't have the impact. PJ and the Dead go in the same category - lifetime achievement awards, but not necessarily changing the paradigm.

Nirvana has been discussed ad nauseum here - let's just say that they WERE an important flashpoint, but that movement had been building for the latter half of the 80s; not to diminish them, but SOMEONE was going to be "Nirvana" - and there's rarely anything wrong with being the right guys in the right place at the right time, God bless 'em.

The Doors - ah, couldabeens, couldabeens....Morrison was a bit of a pretentious wanker, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a FANTASTIC frontman. "The Wasp", "Hyacinth House", "Not to Touch the Earth"...all unheard but fantastic. But to me they just lack some je nais sais qua that doesn't put them in the top slot.

Metallica - greatest American METAL band for sure, but I don't see them breaking out of their subgenre. Certainly belong on the greatest rock band list, probably at 7 or 8, maybe higher.

Van Halen - for good or ill, the defining "hair band" - top 5 for sure.

G'n'R - Appetite is clearly one of the top rock albums ever. The sad part is that's about all they got. Better than Nirvana, but didn't have the legs - hey Axl, let me thank your for letting your ego ruin what could've been one of the great bands!

REM - Objectively, they merit consideration. Subjectively - meh.

The Eagles - appear to have it all - the songwriting and instrumental chops, long and varied career, massive sales if not artistic impact. The only problem is that after listening to about any Eagles album, it's all a little too pat and calculated, and I need to listen to something a little more soulful than they are. Like Kraftwerk. :D

Springsteen - I had this debate with a buddy - he says BROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS! and the E's are comparable to CCR, as far as one dominant guy running the show. And I say that may well be true, but the fact the Boss didn't credit the E's on his albums removes them from consideration all the same. Semantics is a beautiful thing when it's workin' for ya.

Really, I think it's pretty clearly CCR. Their songs are timeless (the subtext in just about any of their tunes has applied to about every admin since they broke up - talk about capturing the zeitgeist), and well-crafted, and to me they sound as fresh and as DIFFERENT as when they came out.

Overlooking the Allmans was a glaring oversight as well - forget launching Southern Rock, they pretty well perfected the whole "jam band" thing. About the only reason to bother seeing anyone else is because it's more fun to take drugs in an amphitheater than in your room while listening to Live at the Fillmore East.

who is the better all european band.........the scorpions or abba??

also left out of the original poll were the "city" bands boston and chicago or c.t.a. maybe we left them out for a reason.

"He sang the strangest songs to me, by bands I had never heard of: Boston, Kansas, America, Europe, Asia. Travel exhausts me." - Hedwig

That little fa@@ot got his own jet airplane… the little fa@@ot is a millionaire. Kicked off the "I want my MTV" push... back when there were a grand total of 10 music videos and the whole concept was new.

Probably THE worst Dire Straits track ever. Maybe it's the fact that it got totally worn out on both MTV and radio. Would not be a bit surprised if DS did that song as a mess around song and it became hugh.

I'm surprised that after reading this entire thread nobody, not one soul mentioned Blue Oyster Cult. I wouldn't put them at #1 or even top 10 but certainly honorable mention. Proves my point of how underrated this band is/was. I'd put Buck Dharma up against any guitarist and I think he'd hold his own. Just listen to Dominance And Submission. Bar band now but still have a hugh following.

I voted Puddy as there wasn't any band on that list deserving of #1 IMO. I love the Doors but not enough material. The closest I'd get to voting for one of the above would be either the Eagles or VH. I'm with Sky in the fact that CCR should be at least on the list. They'd get my vote. How many bands had as many hits as CCR? Hell, even wedding bands play CCR music. If that's not American, I don't know what is. Allman Bros. Band gets props from me as well. And Aerosmith, whether you like em or not are still going strong. I loved their 70s sh*t more but they sucked in concert back then as the drugs took their toll. And believe it or not, I'd include Kiss in my top 10. Totally awesome stage show in 1976(when I first saw them) and again in 1996 when I saw the reunion. Not the greatest musicians though.

And just my :D I'd put STP and Soundgarden ahead of PJ and Nirvanna any day.

I'm surprised that after reading this entire thread nobody, not one soul mentioned Blue Oyster Cult. I wouldn't put them at #1 or even top 10 but certainly honorable mention. Proves my point of how underrated this band is/was. I'd put Buck Dharma up against any guitarist and I think he'd hold his own. Just listen to Dominance And Submission. Bar band now but still have a hugh following.

More Cowbell

Freddie Mercury was actually born in Zanzibar. Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon were all British to the bone.

Still, arguably THE arena-rock band that set the standard.

I have heard this from many people. I saw Queen for the News of the World tour. I was in high school, I was high, and I still came away disappointed. I'm guessing freddie and the boys had an off night.

I have heard this from many people. I saw Queen for the News of the World tour. I was in high school, I was high, and I still came away disappointed. I'm guessing freddie and the boys had an off night.

I caught Stevie Nicks on an Off Night........... :D ...........that spinning witch was smoked to the gills and had no clue where she was at........ :D

Springsteen - I had this debate with a buddy - he says BROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS! and the E's are comparable to CCR, as far as one dominant guy running the show. And I say that may well be true, but the fact the Boss didn't credit the E's on his albums removes them from consideration all the same. Semantics is a beautiful thing when it's workin' for ya.

Hard to compare Springsteen to Van Halen… it would be easier to compare Springsteen to Dylan or Neil Young. I saw Bruce on the Tunnel of Love tour with great seats, and it was some of the most heartfelt music I’ve ever heard. But while he may be one of the greatest poets, prolly not the greatest rocker. Morrison has him hands down though he was kinda weird.

Really, I think it's pretty clearly CCR. Their songs are timeless (the subtext in just about any of their tunes has applied to about every admin since they broke up - talk about capturing the zeitgeist), and well-crafted, and to me they sound as fresh and as DIFFERENT as when they came out.

CCR, while awesome, is more voice than band IMO. Again, hard to compare to Van Halen for in your face guitar. It would be easier to compare KISS to VH, but KISS was all show and very stupid lyrics.

Overlooking the Allmans was a glaring oversight as well - forget launching Southern Rock, they pretty well perfected the whole "jam band" thing. About the only reason to bother seeing anyone else is because it's more fun to take drugs in an amphitheater than in your room while listening to Live at the Fillmore East.

Alman Bros are the only "country" band aside from Skynard that I even listened to. The band is awesome, but neither can be compared to metal... too different.

The right answer is Led Zeppelin IMO for the #1 spot, but since it's only an American band, I think I'd change my answer to the Doors. At the time they were very different, and the sugar coated "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" was mainstream, and then drugs came with the Doors and the Dead. There's a few good Dead songs, but not my cup O'tea.

Probably THE worst Dire Straits track ever. Maybe it's the fact that it got totally worn out on both MTV and radio. Would not be a bit surprised if DS did that song as a mess around song and it became hugh.

Agreed. Dire Straits had several strong albums. Telegraph Road from Love Over Gold is a tremendous piece of music. Brothers in Arms is an excellent album (though it does contain the aforementioned Walk Of Life). They aren't going to get anywhere in this poll though because, unfortunately, they're yet another bunch of Brits.

On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is one of the most underrated live albums ever. I saw BOC back in.....god, I don't know, I was so stoned. Maybe 1977? Whatever, it was a great show - they had the laser thing going really strong at the time.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Queen at Live Aid was one of the goose-bump rising performances of all time. I was 13 when it happened, and it was a jaw dropping, eye opening experience for me. 100,000 people in the palm of their hands. . . just amazing.

Fair Warning owns 'em all.

Unchained - best VH tune ever :D

There was some good stuff - much like just about ANY music scene, the music industry business model took a few early innovators and LCD'ed* 'em down with subsequent signings (and subsequent releases by early artists). Hence you go from Def Leppard's High N'Dry to Warrant's Cherry Pie within about 10 years.

* - LCD - Lowest Common Denominator

Nice to see a little love for early Def Leppard. Definitely a "hair band", but they wrote some killer tunes back in the early '80s.

Nirvana has been discussed ad nauseum here - let's just say that they WERE an important flashpoint, but that movement had been building for the latter half of the 80s; not to diminish them, but SOMEONE was going to be "Nirvana" - and there's rarely anything wrong with being the right guys in the right place at the right time, God bless 'em.

If Pearl Jam had broke first, Nirvana would've been an afterthought.

G'n'R - Appetite is clearly one of the top rock albums ever. The sad part is that's about all they got. Better than Nirvana, but didn't have the legs - hey Axl, let me thank your for letting your ego ruin what could've been one of the great bands!

+1

Agreed. Dire Straits had several strong albums. Telegraph Road from Love Over Gold is a tremendous piece of music.

My absolute favorite DS track.

On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is one of the most underrated live albums ever. I saw BOC back in.....god, I don't know, I was so stoned. Maybe 1977? Whatever, it was a great show - they had the laser thing going really strong at the time.

Ah, if they had the lasers then it was 1978 and the Some Enchanted Evening tour. They have rereleased this CD. It is now extended to a double CD and the bonus is a DVD of a live show complete with lasers. Video is not up to today's standards but still worth it IMO.

Hard to compare Springsteen to Van Halen… it would be easier to compare Springsteen to Dylan or Neil Young. I saw Bruce on the Tunnel of Love tour with great seats, and it was some of the most heartfelt music I’ve ever heard. But while he may be one of the greatest poets, prolly not the greatest rocker. Morrison has him hands down though he was kinda weird.

CCR, while awesome, is more voice than band IMO. Again, hard to compare to Van Halen for in your face guitar. It would be easier to compare KISS to VH, but KISS was all show and very stupid lyrics.

Alman Bros are the only "country" band aside from Skynard that I even listened to. The band is awesome, but neither can be compared to metal... too different.

:D

I'm not "comparing" anyone to anybody. Your reading comprehension remains deplorable, as always.

If Pearl Jam had broke first, Nirvana would've been an afterthought.

Like I said, "right guys at the right place at the right time" - only in '91, as you point out, there were probably 5-10 bands who could've been those "right guys."

:D

I'm not "comparing" anyone to anybody. Your reading comprehension remains deplorable, as always.

And all the while I mistakely thought the topic of this thread was "Greatest American Rock Band".

Edited by Thews40

Like I said, "right guys at the right place at the right time" - only in '91, as you point out, there were probably 5-10 bands who could've been those "right guys."

You make it sound like Kurt Cobain bumped into David Geffin in a subway. When Geffin's minions came to him and said "You should pay attention to what's going on in Seattle", he did his homework. There's a reason Nirvana got the nod. . . .