[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest American Rock Band

Egret

Greatest American Rock Band  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the geatest American Rock Band

• Pearl Jam
    • Grateful Dead
    • Nirvana
    • The Doors
    • Metallica
    • Van Halen
    • Guns N Roses
    • REM
    • The Eagles
    • Springsteen w/ E Street
    • Puddy

Right on, John - BOC would've been NOTHING without Bruce Dickensen producing.

There are any number of bands whose limitations have been obscured by a good studio producer. Someone earlier mentioned that live music is the shiznit and it is - then you've got to be good. BOC were indeed good the one time I saw them and their live double elpee is excellent. I know live elpees can be messed with but there's enough on that record to show a band that were actually very good live.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make it sound like Kurt Cobain bumped into David Geffin in a subway. When Geffin's minions came to him and said "You should pay attention to what's going on in Seattle", he did his homework. There's a reason Nirvana got the nod. . . .

Well, that and the fact that Smashing Pumpkins released Gish on an indie label. I imagine that they would've stolen much of Nirvana's thunder had people outside of Chicago heard of them.

I'm still surprised that, with the mainstream embracing G 'n' R back in the late '80s, Jane's Addiction never really garnered the same widespread appeal.

There are any number of bands whose limitations have been obscured by a good studio producer. Someone earlier mentioned that live music is the shiznit and it is - then you've got to be good. BOC were indeed good the one time I saw them and their live double elpee is excellent. I know live elpees can be messed with but there's enough on that record to show a band that were actually very good live.

I hate having to explain my jokes.

And all the while I mistakely thought the topic of this thread was "Greatest American Rock Band".

You read my post without appearing to comprehend Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian was going on in it.

I'd have corrected you but I didn't want to be called a "bleeder."

Have as big a snit as you'd like, I'm done with you on this subject in here. You know where to discuss it if you'd like to.

ok...

1. the ramones

2. the beach boys

3. the velvet underground

4. REM

5. sly and the family stone

6. nirvana

7. parliament/funkadelic

8. the grateful dead

9. the pixies

10. CCR

11. metallica

12. sonic youth

13. talking heads

14. pearl jam

15. the replacements

16. allman brothers

17. the doors

18. mothers of invention

19. captain beefheart's magic band

20. the stooges

No love for the Revolting Cocks or My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult?

Well, if we're really parsing, those two pretty much sprung out of Ministry, who got good when they realized that *ahem* liberally "borrowing" from Big Black may not be the worst career move one could make.

Much as I love Ministry, Urge Overkill remains my favorite Chi-town band.

Well, if we're really parsing, those two pretty much sprung out of Ministry, who got good when they realized that *ahem* liberally "borrowing" from Big Black may not be the worst career move one could make.

Urge Overkill has one of the best sounding records ever...

Getting back to the whole grunge scene breaking, I'd like to see how anyone can throw out generalities like "Pearl Jam is the same as Nirvana, one was just discovered first". Sorry, but the sound, while all labeled "grunge" doesn't sound all that similar to me.

For some reason, I kind of liken Nirvana to the Beatles and Pearl Jam to the Stones. Maybe having to do with the sheer popularity to the longevity, I don't know. :D

Getting back to the whole grunge scene breaking, I'd like to see how anyone can throw out generalities like "Pearl Jam is the same as Nirvana, one was just discovered first". Sorry, but the sound, while all labeled "grunge" doesn't sound all that similar to me.

For some reason, I kind of liken Nirvana to the Beatles and Pearl Jam to the Stones. Maybe having to do with the sheer popularity to the longevity, I don't know. :D

Who can argue with a guy whose screen name is Cap'N GRuNGe?

To start 2 new arguments:

1. Although "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the calling card of an entire musical movement, the greatest grunge song of all time is and always will be "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney. Any other votes?

2. The first true grunge song ever written was the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" (1968). Any other votes?

ok...

12. sonic youth

Nice. :D

If you put Sonic Youth in there you would almost have to include Fugazi as well. I actually think Fugazi as a musical trendsetter, "13 Songs"in particular, is really epic to the whole subculture that was punk in the mid to late 80's. Ian McKay was able to modify the punk mindset to create a more activist/socially aware outlet for thier music. Away from Hitler and toward Earth Day and protesting Ticketmaster and the mainstream record industry. Every Fugazi show I've ever been to has been around $5 and proceeds to benefit some cheritable organization.

Thier legacy is pretty solid as well. You need look no further than your beloved Edie Vetter's arm for the huge Fugazi tatoo or listen to anything Modest Mouse has released, especially thier first couple albums.

Edited by DemonKnight

2. The first true grunge song ever written was the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" (1968). Any other votes?

Got my doubts. However, be that as it may.... grunge was not invented by Pearl Jam or Nirvana or any other of the johnny-come-lately groups....

"Formed in 1983, Green River is widely believed to have created the genre, and was a prime inspiration for many grunge bands, despite the band's relatively low level of commercial success. After the band split up in 1988, members of Green River went on to form Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, and Pearl Jam. Green River, who used a harder and dirtier sound in their performance than many later grunge bands, inspired other early grunge bands to use a similar style."

For those that need to be reminded of how things evolved...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

is actually a pretty good write up of the grunge scene.

Yep, excellent band. Saw them live once in Iowa.

I've never been that impressed with Chicago's music scene, but outside of the early '90s Pumpkins, I'd have to go with the Freddy Jones Band. One of my buddies DJed at Double Door on New Year's Eve back in the mid '90s and we got to hang out with Liquid Soul in the dressing room area. They and Poi Dog are both pretty good, if you're into the whole acid jazz fusion thing.

Completely agree. Pearl Jam is arguably more of a throwback '70s rock band than a "grunge" group.

The point wasn't that they're the same, but that Nivana's success was basically a "perfect storm" of timing, promotion, and a very good album that was slickly produced to appeal to the mainstream. If Ten had been released a year earlier or if Gish had been released on a major label, I think that either PJ or SP would've stolen their thunder.

I don't agree with that comparison at all. Nirvana didn't have anywhere near the Beatles' staying power or catalog and they didn't do anything as revolutionary as, say, Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road. The Stones were marketed to be a "bad boy" version of the Beatles, but were basically copycats until they began to incorporate the blues into their sound in the late '60s. Pearl Jam never tried to imitate Nirvana and their sound has stayed basically the same over the past 15 years or so (granted, I haven't listened to anything after Binaural).

Edited by Bill Swerski