[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barry Bonds

broncosn05

Well he was elected to play in the All-Star Game in SF and is now just two shy of Hank Aaron. Seems like a cinderella story to me. :D

I feel like he is one of the best baseball players ever to live and will be a story for generations, well until A-Rod passes it. I must say that I'm neutral on Barry and am pretty excited that I'm going to be able to see this guy rewrite history. Just my opinion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

You should get the "Huddler Fishermen of the Year" Award.

Cindarella story? Hardly. He'll get the record and it will stand for a few years until A-rod smashes it.

Thank Goodness.

The sad part is, Bonds might have had a hall of fame career unsullied by steroids -- ala Griffey -- but he just couldn't resist temptation. Tooooo bad. He chose to waste his legacy ... His hall of fame plaque should be mounted on a giant syringe. Right next to the Pete Rose plaque on the slot machine.

The sad part is, Bonds might have had a hall of fame career unsullied by steroids -- ala Griffey -- but he just couldn't resist temptation. Tooooo bad. He chose to waste his legacy ... His hall of fame plaque should be mounted on a giant syringe. Right next to the Pete Rose plaque on the slot machine.

Agreed. He blew it...Guess McGwire and Sosa were getting too much attention for his liking and Bonds stoked his ego with the syringe...

Innocent until proven guilty.

In a court of law, not a court of public opinion...or the voters for the Hall for that matter.

Barry was a Hall of Famer before the steroid allegations. Do I think he did steroids to improve his stats...yes. Do I think he belongs in the Hall of Fame...yes. His legacy is just tainted and will more than likely be downplayed as the years go by and all of the negatives are forgotten as so often happens.

I don't like the fact that he (or any of the other players for that matter) took steroids. But if you think that management, coaching staffs, reporters, etc did not know that this was gong on then you are kidding yourselves. The game was experiencing a renaissance led by the 1998 HR derby show, "Mac and Sammy." The owners loved that the stands were full and after the strike of 1994, fans were coming back to the game. Remember this promotion: "Chicks Dig the Long Ball?"

Everyone involved turned the other cheek...and now the same people who knew are out for blood? Hippocrites.

I am not defending the players here -- cheating is cheating and just because someone ignores it, you have to have more respect for the game than to do that crap. I just don't like the way this whole thing is playing out...the owners made a fortune and not the players will be thrown under the bus.

Barry Bonds is one of the greatest players ever pre-1997, he's the greatest ever if you factor in post-1997. I don't think he's a likable guy, but he's going to break the record. It should be celebrated.

I have mixed feelings about it. I've been a baseball fan my whole life, and this whole mess just ruins what was once a great pleasure for me. He'll get the record, for a while, then A-Rod will take it. Hopefully, without this cloud that currently hangs over baseball.

As far as McGwire and Sosa, like Bonds, they were 'late bloomers', physically. All three were skinny and got bulky. Was it legitimate? Who can say for sure, you know? In McGwire's defense, he hit 49 homers in his first full season, while he was still a skinny kid.

It's funny how the happy, fun loving Sosa turned out to be a slimy weasel. In addition to the roids rumors, just how many corked dingers did he hit?

755 is a hallowed number in baseball, and I'm excited to see history. I'm also sad, because I was a kid when Aaron passed the Babe. It's like part of my childhood is being taken away, you know?

I'm a lifelong Oriole fan, so I have zero love for the Yankees, but a good ball player deserves his due, and I am actually already looking forward to A-Rod surpassing Bonds.

I was there the night Cal broke Gehrig's streak, and it was something I'll never forget. I was fortunate enough to have my kids there with me, so they have that to carry with them.

A-Rod will be 32 years old in less then a week. He should end this season with around 525 home runs. If he averages 40 home runs a year (which is a ton) he would need 6 more seasons to get to 565. That won't break the record. I'm not saying A-Rod won't/cant do it. I'm just saying it isn't a given that he will do it.

A-Rod will be 32 years old in less then a week. He should end this season with around 525 home runs. If he averages 40 home runs a year (which is a ton) he would need 6 more seasons to get to 565. That won't break the record. I'm not saying A-Rod won't/cant do it. I'm just saying it isn't a given that he will do it.

Agreed. Players that don't use 'roids/HGH tend to swing the bat slower and recover from injuries less quickly once they hit their mid-'30s. A-Rod has a shot, but if he's clean, it's going to be a long shot.

I have absolutely no mixed feelings whatsoever. I think Barry Bonds is one giant piece of garbage and it disgusts me that he will break one of the greatest records in baseball by one of the classiest guys in the world. It is not an event to be celebrated. It is the day a record is broken but it will never be celebrated like it would be if a classy guy were passing Aaron. I am glad my kids aren't old enough for me to have to explain why Barry Bonds deserves their disdain and disgust. I can't stand him. I hope he is quickly forgotten and always ridiculed as the cheating piece of junk he is.

No guarantees arod or anyone breaks it ..injuries can destory a career ( look at griffey jr who was well on pace to at least get close to record years back

Bonds is one of the least likable , personable athletes in all of sports ...but worse than that their is a cloud and strong indication of the use of steroids and cheating ..now he is not proven to be guilty but for me there is enough circumstantial evidence , information , talk of , etc that I simply don't think that he will have fairly broken the record and I won't ackmowledge it ..for me it will be an asterisk even if the record books do not have one next to his name

One last note , my nephew has an incredible job working for major league baseball ...he has had it for 13 years and literally has met and continues to meet hundreds of players ...he told me pt blank , he never met a ruder more surly player than bonds when they had a dinner a few years back ...the guy is a jack ass but again speaking purely from baseball perspective I think asterisk is deserving

I've never been a fan of his. I consider the whole Steroids in Baseball thing to be the fault of Selig and Fehr. They're the Dr. Frankenstein's, and Barry is one of the monsters.

There are 3 things to remember about Bonds: before steroids ran rampant from 97ish -2000 he was the best player in baseball. When steroids were running rampant he was the best player in baseball. If you believe the evidence against him, then when he started taking them in '99 he was still the best player in baseball. The tragedy is that he might have made a run at the record by not cheating, if you assume some of his injuries have been steroid related and remove them from the equation with his use.

Did he cheat? In the end that question simply doesn't matter because if you apply that question to each player in the game, if you believe the accounts, then it appears MORE players were taking steroids than those who weren't at its peak. Selig and Fehr let it get that bad. You can cry and whine as much as you want, but from his perspective he (and others) had millions of dollars tied up in how they perform on a daily basis. And if half of those pitchers are juiced and commish won't do squat, the question becomes whether or not you'll allow yourself to be cheated of that money or if you'll attempt to level the playing field. It's hardly black and white. The game jumped the shark, and if you condemn him then you MUST condemn others.

All that being said, a buddy of mine offered me a right field seat to the Giants vs Dodgers this Wednesday evening in LA and I jumped on it. I'm one for a good spectacle. :D

:D

Is this some kind of "fuzzy math"? I know...it's a typo....

Arod at 525 at the end of this year. 6 more seasons at 40 HR is 765, which whould break it unless Bonds plays another season.

But who's to say he can't play until 40+ like Bonds?

And why is it so unrealistic that Arod would do that? Hank Aaron established the record hitting lots of home runs late in his career, and so will the Debil.