[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best foreign rock band.

Randall

Led Zepplin. Somehow, Jimmy Page has become forgotten over time as one of the premier guitar players.

The Beattle have been overrated forever. I understand their "influence", which I think is because they were the first "really popular" band, so everyone remembers them, and therefore thinks they were actually really good.

Not a Stones fan, but they obviously have maintained popularity.

I rate Triumph as a great rock band (from up nort), but they didn't change any culture, so that's just my opinion.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beattle have been overrated forever. I understand their "influence", which I think is because they were the first "really popular" band, so everyone remembers them, and therefore thinks they were actually really good.

I think that you're seriously underestimating (1) how consistently brilliant Lennon and McCarney's songs were, (2) the fact that they turned pop/rock music into a form of art, and (3) the influence that they not only have on younger generations, but also their peers back in the '60s (The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc.).

The Beatles were the first "really popular" band for a reason. And it wasn't because MTV was propping them up for cultural and political reasons.

I think that you're seriously underestimating (1) how consistently brilliant Lennon and McCarney's songs were, (2) the fact that they turned pop/rock music into a form of art, and (3) the influence that they not only have on younger generations, but also their peers back in the '60s (The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc.).

The Beatles were the first "really popular" band for a reason. And it wasn't because MTV was propping them up for cultural and political reasons.

I get it. I like a lot of their stuff. I just don't think their music is 100 miles better than everyone elses. I get all the "influence" stuff. I'd rather pop in a CD by 100 other bands. How could they be the "greatest". I know the argument includes the influence stuff, I get it. Just don't agree.

"Brilliant" is in the ear of the listener. Screaming girls on Ed Sullivan was not because of "brilliant" songs. But those pretty boys from Liverpool had 'em all screaming. Coulda been all the drugs :D

Edited by Bengal Mania

I get it. I like a lot of their stuff. I just don't think their music is 100 miles better than everyone elses. I get all the "influence" stuff. I'd rather pop in a CD by 100 other bands. How could they be the "greatest". I know the argument includes the influence stuff, I get it. Just don't agree.

I can respect that. If the type of music isn't your cup of tea, you're never going to think that they're the "greatest." I'm not into metal at all, but can completely understand how some people absolutely love Metallica.

So their explosion into the mass consciousness three months after JFK was assassinated was a coincidence?

So their explosion into the mass consciousness three months after JFK was assassinated was a coincidence?

Are you saying that JFK needed to be assassinated before the Beatles would be accepted in America? Funny, I've always thought that it had to do with their popularity in Britain and their phenominal songs.

Are you saying that JFK needed to be assassinated before the Beatles would be accepted in America? Funny, I've always thought that it had to do with their popularity in Britain and their phenominal songs.

I'm just saying that the cultural impact of the Beatles was in part a response to larger issues going on at the time.

Not sure just where you are going with that....but wherever it is it is wrong. LOL

Saw the Beatles for the first time in July, maybe August, of '63. Was not overly impressed then and have not changed that since. Plenty of other groups that came out shortly after that I can appreciate more. Same with the Stones. Both groups spent a good bit of their early time doing songs I heard much earlier by better artists.

You want cutting edge music by Brits.... there are plenty to choose from rather than the same old tired "popular" groups..and one can start with The Kinks.

My list:

Sky

TYA

Kinks

Cream

Moody Blues

Pink Floyd

Jeff Beck Group

Dire Straits

Cars

Police

Adam Ant

Led Zep

Ginger Baker and Air Force

Blind Faith

To name a few.

I can respect that. If the type of music isn't your cup of tea, you're never going to think that they're the "greatest." I'm not into metal at all, but can completely understand how some people absolutely love Metallica.

I bought my very first Beatles record recently because I happened to pick it up in Costco. Sgt Peppers. I've heard 'em all before of course but I would say there are several dozen bands I'd rate ahead of the Beatles using personal taste as a guide. Sgt Pepper is OK but no more than that as far as I'm concerned.

Influentially, the Beatles are a no-contest winner. In effect, there are two standards for "greatness".

I'm just saying that the cultural impact of the Beatles was in part a response to larger issues going on at the time.

I won't argue with that, but I see no connection between the Beatles' bubble gum pop music and squeaky-clean imagine circa 1963 and JFK. IMO, that connection was more evident in the beginning of the psychedelic movement (largely attributed to the Beatles themselves) and the growing unrest over Vietnam.

I bought my very first Beatles record recently because I happened to pick it up in Costco. Sgt Peppers. I've heard 'em all before of course but I would say there are several dozen bands I'd rate ahead of the Beatles using personal taste as a guide. Sgt Pepper is OK but no more than that as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. It was arguably their "most important" album, but definitely not their best work. Outside of Mr. Kite and A Day in the Life, I don't have much love for it. Abbey Road and Revolver are my favorites, with the White Album coming in a more distant third.

Influentially, the Beatles are a no-contest winner. In effect, there are two standards for "greatness".

Give Revolver and Rubber Soul a shot too.