[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep Frank Gore or Shawn Alexander

I'd keep Gore.....hands down. Even on an offense which seriously struggled last year, he made a case for "Fantasy Stud". I think he'll be even better this year. SA...though still a stud, has some injury issues and seems to be moving in the opposite direction of Gore. JMO

Haskel

If there's PPR scoring the choice is rather simple Gore. Even if there isn't I still go with Gore but it's closer. I think SA is shot and will never return to the big numbers he put up.

IN 2005 SA had what 28 TDs that's impressive ,, last year what did Gore have 10 or something quite a difference if SA is back to form

Both have risks assosciated with them. Gore has had one very good year and was coming on strong to close out last year. The Niners O appears to have improved with a few better offensive threats in the passing game, which in theory could open up some running lanes for him. He is also still very young and likely on the upside of his career. The downside is, and this is a mantra of mine, that one year does not a stud make. There is a very definite possibility that he could be a one year wonder.

Alexander is coming off of an injury, and there has not been a lot coming out about how his recovery is coming and if he is definitely back to 100%. His offense has taken a hit with the loss of Jackson and, IIRC, members of the OL, sohe is far from being in the situation he was two years ago. And while he is not old by any means, he is not young by NFL RB standards so one must begin to wonder just how much of a pounding he can continue to take and still hold up.

This is why these two guys, along with LJ, are generally the 3-5 picks... mix in Addai and Westbrook if a PPR and you see that there is no clear cut answer.

My advice on going with Gore, though it being a very difficult decision, is that he has a much larger upside and may well be a better keeper long term. THat's not to say that SA may not outperform him this year... I'd say there is probably a very decent chance that will happen, but I would say given what we know curently about their situations, there is slightly less risk and a bit more long term upside with Gore.

Both have risks assosciated with them. Gore has had one very good year and was coming on strong to close out last year. The Niners O appears to have improved with a few better offensive threats in the passing game, which in theory could open up some running lanes for him. He is also still very young and likely on the upside of his career. The downside is, and this is a mantra of mine, that one year does not a stud make. There is a very definite possibility that he could be a one year wonder.

Alexander is coming off of an injury, and there has not been a lot coming out about how his recovery is coming and if he is definitely back to 100%. His offense has taken a hit with the loss of Jackson and, IIRC, members of the OL, sohe is far from being in the situation he was two years ago. And while he is not old by any means, he is not young by NFL RB standards so one must begin to wonder just how much of a pounding he can continue to take and still hold up.

This is why these two guys, along with LJ, are generally the 3-5 picks... mix in Addai and Westbrook if a PPR and you see that there is no clear cut answer.

My advice on going with Gore, though it being a very difficult decision, is that he has a much larger upside and may well be a better keeper long term. THat's not to say that SA may not outperform him this year... I'd say there is probably a very decent chance that will happen, but I would say given what we know curently about their situations, there is slightly less risk and a bit more long term upside with Gore.

There's no doubt Gore is the better keeper longterm!! It's not that he may well be a better keeper or has a bit more upside than SA longterm. He is most definitely a better keeper longterm and has a whole hell of alot more longterm upside. SA is 30. Gore is 24. That's 6 years difference folks, SA is practically done in fantasy terms, whereas Gore's just getting started.

Edited by irish

If it were me and you can only keep one of them I would try to trade them for SJAX, LT, of LJ. In my keeper league I just trade Shaun for Willis McGahee and Steve Smith. I already have P.Manning and LJ. Shaun may or may not be fully recovered from his foot injury and Frank Gore isn't known as a player who can stay healthy, he has had 2 or 3 major knee operations. Both have the talent to be great but both come with alot of risk as well. But if I was going to keep one of them it would Gore.

That's a very well thought out opinion , i think you swayed me

let me play devils advocate for a second, does anyone remember 2 yrs ago a rookie rb had a big year and everyone was touting him as the next big thing. His name was Caddy Williams. Now you can probably get him in the 3rd rould. I am not saying that Gore will go that way but he has had only 1 good year( and it was only good,not great) So if this IS a keeper league, which was not stated in by the OP, u prob go with Gore If a redraft I am not so sure i risk my season on Gore and making a bad pick in round one can definately risk ur season.

let me play devils advocate for a second, does anyone remember 2 yrs ago a rookie rb had a big year and everyone was touting him as the next big thing. His name was Caddy Williams. Now you can probably get him in the 3rd rould. I am not saying that Gore will go that way but he has had only 1 good year( and it was only good,not great) So if this IS a keeper league, which was not stated in by the OP, u prob go with Gore If a redraft I am not so sure i risk my season on Gore and making a bad pick in round one can definately risk ur season.

The difference between he and Caddy thogh are that Caddy was and is still the full time starter. Gore was the full time starter only last year but played the year before. and did well. I see your point, though, but I think it is apples and oranges. The 9ers have a more solidified line where as the Bucs keep patching it to make it work. This yearmight be better as the Bucs OL has a bit more experience. Besides, IIRC, Caddy started to fall off after just the first few games, no? When Gore was given the reigns, he played well every game.

I like Gore , don't get me wrong. I am just saying is some fantasy ballers have a short memory. Gore only had 8 tds rushing last year and only had 3 with 600 yds rushing the year before, and he plays on a bad team which generally doesnt bode too well for rb's. All I am saying is taking him high is a risk.

I like Gore , don't get me wrong. I am just saying is some fantasy ballers have a short memory. Gore only had 8 tds rushing last year and only had 3 with 600 yds rushing the year before, and he plays on a bad team which generally doesnt bode too well for rb's. All I am saying is taking him high is a risk.

Though I agree that saying that Gore IS a stud is slightly premature you have to look at what he has done when given the chance full-time. He was the 5th RB in points last year in our league. Even if you pro-rate what Alexander would have gotten had he played ALL year you still don't come up with a top 10 back. Gore has the most upside at this point in either of their careers. Gore can only get better with an imroved offense. Seattle did not get better IMO. Gotta go with Gore. :D

CROC

Though I agree that saying that Gore IS a stud is slightly premature you have to look at what he has done when given the chance full-time. He was the 5th RB in points last year in our league. Even if you pro-rate what Alexander would have gotten had he played ALL year you still don't come up with a top 10 back. Gore has the most upside at this point in either of their careers. Gore can only get better with an imroved offense. Seattle did not get better IMO. Gotta go with Gore. :D

CROC

That's waht was said about Lamont Jordan when he finally was able to get away from CuMar.

I have not changed my opinion on the matter, I'd keep Gore. Both are risky picks, just for different reasons.