[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taxes and the War

WaterMan

Reread the article. What they are saying is that the deficit FOR THIS YEAR will "only" be $205 billion, which is half what it was at the worst of our deficit spending. So, we still overspent, just not as bad. Yes, it's a step in the right direction. But even once we get the ANNUAL deficit down to $0, we still have to go back and start working on the nearly $9 TRILLION dollars of accrued debt that we've piled up. If that doesn't make you gloomy, then I'd like some of what you're on, please.

jinx, buy me a coke.

It is the DEFICIT. Not DEFICIT SPENDING. Why is this so hard to accept? Does EVERYTHING have to be gloomy? Is good news too scary because it goes against certain political motivations?

I am not a Bush fan, but it is amazing how with a booming economy and the ACTUAL deficit being reduced, there is little talk about it. I know why and so do you.

So let's just be honest and accept the fact that this is an amazing feat WHILE we are funding a stoopid war. :D

Cutting the deficit means reducing the gap between current income and current outgoings. It is still spending more than is being earned. While this is a step in the right direction, it is not success. First we need to eliminate the deficit, then we need to begin to reduce the debt.

ETA: Dang, Detlef and Yo already said all this.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Dude, check yourself.

That means the amount that we are overspending will drop to $205 million from a higher number the year before. I mean, it is step in the right direction, but we are not, in fact, making any headway into our debt. This isn't me hating on Bush. This is me explaining to you what is often a misconception in reading that phrase.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the debt is not shrinking.

Reread the article. What they are saying is that the deficit FOR THIS YEAR will "only" be $205 billion, which is half what it was at the worst of our deficit spending. So, we still overspent, just not as bad. Yes, it's a step in the right direction. But even once we get the ANNUAL deficit down to $0, we still have to go back and start working on the nearly $9 TRILLION dollars of accrued debt that we've piled up. If that doesn't make you gloomy, then I'd like some of what you're on, please.

Cutting the deficit means reducing the gap between current income and current outgoings. It is still spending more than is being earned. While this is a step in the right direction, it is not success. First we need to eliminate the deficit, then we need to begin to reduce the debt.

OK, both of you need to buy me a coke.

jinx, buy me a coke.

1984 SNL skit:

Jinx! Buy me a Coke!

Inky-dinky-pinky-winky! Flush it down the kitchen sinky!

Alley Ooop! Alley Ooop! Doh hinky.

The king of France wet his pants right in the middle of a ballroom dance.

Yodleayheehoo! Yodleayheehoo!

Nee nee nee ne nee nee neee ne nee nee nee nee. Huh!"

I guess McBoog realized he was wrong and went away.

Or should I explain in a different way that his link does NOT say we are lowering our total defecit, only the rate at which we sink further into the whole.

Should I do that?

Actually I was the first one to say that lowering the deficit was good, but we need to be lowering the debt.

Oh, I know. But you said "lowering the deficit is great." That didn't lend itself as well to a self-serving, only marginally humorous play on words involving the terms "right direction" and "left-leaning."