[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Training Question

Footballjoe

I have 2 70lb dogs that sleep in our bed plus my kids like to jump in in the morning..I constantly have a foot in my face and a fraction of the bed

Sugar has some very good info here.. I have an Australian Cattle Dog and I did just about everything Ms. Magnolia recommended. Now given an ACD is one of the more intelligent breeds, but I had that damn dog house trained in one week, and he hasn't spent one night out of his crate since I got him.

Since I had kids, he knows that he is NOT allowed on the bed. He jumped up once on the bed with my daughter and I whopped his ass off the bed. I wouldn't recommend ever letting a dog on the bed if you have kids. The dog will try and establish their dominance over your kids and that is never a good thing...

Best of luck...

One hard thing about getting a puppy young is, the rule of thumb is the puppy can hold it's bladder for the number of months old it is. So, you need to get up minimum every two hours to let it out. If a puppy starts to soil it's crate, (or your own bed), it will sensitize to it and not care if it is soiling it, and a crate is a key to housebreaking since a dog naturally does not want to soil it's bed/den. Also it's important to get the right size crate. If too big, it will just go to the other end of the crate to soil, and come back to it's bed. I got my puppy at 7 weeks and I think I went to bed at 11:00, let him out at 2:00, then at 4:00 and my husband got up at 6:00. When he whined, he got let out to potty, and my puppy created that schedule.

Yeesh--at least with my kid I get a tax credit.