[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this lying?

polksalet

Allrighty then, tell me if I lied to this man.

A guy who considers me of lower social class than him recently cornered me. He is actually one of the town moguls who thinks he runs everyone and everything, you know the type. He is a power broker if you will. Well, he asked me what I thought of someone. Now he did not know that this someone is one of my closest friends. Anyway he asked me what I thought about some stuff. I told him my feelings and said that I trusted this guy with my life. He then kind of stammered and told me to keep this to myself. He then asked if I could keep it to myself. I felt really uncomfortable and muttered something like "yeah, sure man". Well I got home and started thinking about it and worked myself into a nervous wreck. I then went and saw my friend and told him what had happened.

Did I lie to the power broker (btw, he is friend's boss) and/or do I owe anyone an apology?

Unsure what the big secret is, but whatever you told your friend, you did so because you chose sides. If town mogul finds out you narced him out, that's pretty much the worst case scenario. If your friend is smart, he'll keep whatever you told him under the hat and knows who his enemy is, and who has his back. It doesn’t matter if there was a lie told here, cause you did the right thing.

But why did this guy want to ttell you this information? Was he going to use your opinion to help him make a decision about your friend? Or does he already think that if he tells you the information that you will tell your friend. Sort of using you to let your friend know that the "power guy" knows something about your friend.

Or either of these people women? If so, you're way over your head. Go ask the bride what she thinks.

Think you did exactly what the power broker expected you to do. He wanted some information passed along in a round about way. So since he was expecting you to tell your friend (and he knows the guy is your friend...trust me on this) then everything works out and you are clear.

Think you did exactly what the power broker expected you to do. He wanted some information passed along in a round about way. So since he was expecting you to tell your friend (and he knows the guy is your friend...trust me on this) then everything works out and you are clear.

I have to go with Sky on this. Where I work I constantly hear people trading info back and forth on other people who know said info will get back to the person involved.

The power mogul guy probably knows you guys are friends and he knows you'll probably go to your friend with the info. The "can you keep a secret" stuff was just him trying to sell you on the idea.

I have to go with Sky on this. Where I work I constantly hear people trading info back and forth on other people who know said info will get back to the person involved.

The power mogul guy probably knows you guys are friends and he knows you'll probably go to your friend with the info. The "can you keep a secret" stuff was just him trying to sell you on the idea.

Yup...........i was tested like this once .........lied to an Older dude in charge to protect 3 other workers.....ate me up for a couple years..........finally out of respect for the Old guy i told him i wasn't honest with him..........he said..... i know.........i would have been disappointed if you gave those guys up..... :D ........... :D

You lied to the power broker.

You did not lie to the power broker in order to gain access to the information he told you. (i.e. he didn't say "if you can keep it secret, I will tell you something")

(Of course, if you want to play semantics, think about it this way: He asked you if you could keep it to yourself. You said yes. And you could have. You just chose not to. No lie at all.)

Edited by wiegie

(Of course, if you want to play semantics, think about it this way: He asked you if you could keep it to yourself. You said yes. And you could have. You just chose not to. No lie at all.)

Another twist would be, if you really believed at the moment that you told him, that you could indeed keep it to yourself, but then found out later that you couldn't, then it might not be a lie... simply an error in what you thought you knew about yourself.

But let's be honest... you lied to the guy. :D

You lied to the power broker.

You did not lie to the power broker in order to gain access to the information he told you. (i.e. he didn't say "if you can keep it secret, I will tell you something")

Yeah. This sounds familiar. It depends on what the definition of the word "is" is. :D

You owe that cat nothing. The other guy is a close friend.

Did you lie? Sure. But you stood by the guy that you needed to stand by.

You didn't ask to be put in this situation... by the time he asked you if you'd say anything - the damage was done.