[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UAW vs. Japan

Front Row

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Honda and Toyota plants here in the US unionized?

I'm just asking: I truly don't kow/

The last I heard the unions tried getting in and the workers didn't want them or need them. :D

The last I heard the unions tried getting in and the workers didn't want them or need them. :D

There's a reason an employee wouldn't want a union.

There's also a good reason why an employee would want one.

It kinda depends on how the employer treats them.

On Saturday morning I bought a new Pontiac, then on Saturday night I worked (for free) late into the wee hours of Sunday morning. So I win.

But still, if the American car companies (including their union employees) can't figure out how to compete in the global market with the Japanese by producing a decent product that will actually make them money, then the auto industry in the U.S. deserves to die off so that it can be reborn under a different business model (maybe one without unions and without profound executive bonuses).

I'm sorry, but I'm having a really hard time taking grief from Front Row about someone's decision to buy from companies that have a proven record in most of our lifetimes of making better cars. As others have mentioned, US auto dug in their heels and tried to sell us SUVs long after everyone else saw the writing on the wall. Now, all of sudden they want a piece of the small car market? And people who left US cars in the 70s and 80s 'cause they were crap and have driven Hondas and Toyotas for 100s of thousands of miles with no problems are suppose to switch back because the commercials say our cars are better? It looks like the better team won.

Sounds sort of like the American way to me. :D

Edited by detlef

DETROIT (Reuters) - The head of the United Auto Workers union on Monday said that a strike against the struggling U.S. auto industry remains a possibility should workers be unable to agree on terms with the three Detroit-based automakers in contract talks starting this week.

"A strike remains a possibility," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said in response to a question from a reporter.

Gettelfinger and General Motors Corp. Chief Executive Rick Wagoner shook hands at GM's negotiating headquarters in a staged event Monday morning to mark the formal start of talks which have actually been underway on an informal basis with Detroit's traditional Big Three for weeks.

The UAW's current four-year contract expires September 14. The formally union kicks off talks with Ford Motor Co on Monday afternoon. It began formal talks with Chrysler Group, which is now owned by DaimlerChrysler AG but is being acquired by Cerberus Capital Management, on Friday.

Bought a new Honda Accord a few months ago. Built in Ohio, with approximately 70% American parts (only Transmission is from Japan). Also looked at Toyota (all Japanese). Really liked the GM cars, but resale value was a big consideration. The fact the Honda was built in the US with mostly US parts was a selling point for me. How many American vehicles are built in Mexico or Canada?

parents had a taurus wagon in the early 90s.....had to get new tires every 5000 miles due to bad alignment. when we brought it in to the dealer, they said it met their 'quality standards' and we were basically sol. bought toyotas ever since. proud owner of a 07 4runner.

Did a union ever force march your parent/grandparent a few hundred miles and machete them if they couldn't keep up? :D

Japan would've made us slaves if they'd won WWII. Looks like they'll eventually accomplish their goals thanks to you ricers running around in your POS Honda and Yodas.

Did a union ever force march your parent/grandparent a few hundred miles and machete them if they couldn't keep up? :D

Japan would've made us slaves if they'd won WWII. Looks like they'll eventually accomplish their goals thanks to you ricers running around in your POS Honda and Yodas.

this would crush this

:D

Edited by dmarc117

You act like there are no other jobs but one poor souls lot at the assembly line. I can think of no reason why someone would want a union unless they didn't have the ability to take care of themselves.

Gonna give me some sob story about how some 'worker' was mistreated? Boo f'n hoo, life isn't fair.

I have a friend (real smart-as*) who used to work in an auto parts store. One day a guy comes in and asks for a gas cap for his Toyota. My buddy, after much hemming and hawwing and about 5 minutes of complentation...Say's " Gas cap for a Toyota huh...Well...alright, I guess its a fair trade!" Needless to say the whole place was cracking up! :D:D

There's a reason an employee wouldn't want a union.

Umm...yeah...kind of why I said "want or need them." :D

parents had a taurus wagon in the early 90s.....had to get new tires every 5000 miles due to bad alignment. when we brought it in to the dealer, they said it met their 'quality standards' and we were basically sol. bought toyotas ever since. proud owner of a 07 4runner.

My wife's Mercury did the same thing. A Mercury Sable is basically a Ford Taurus with pleather seats. Fix? Recall? Nah.

You act like there are no other jobs but one poor souls lot at the assembly line. I can think of no reason why someone would want a union unless they didn't have the ability to take care of themselves.

Gonna give me some sob story about how some 'worker' was mistreated? Boo f'n hoo, life isn't fair.

Boo f'n hoo? Boo f'n hoo to the US Automakers who have to deal with unionized workers.

I'm not singing a sad song for the unions.... This thread is Front Row's weeping violin sonata for the crappy car makers. RIF, Babara Eden.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I have owned 14 (new and used) cars since I got my license at age 16. The first 6 were all American makes – and frankly they were all junk, but I thought driving an American car was the right thing to do.

In 1990 I bought a new Mazda Protégé, and it ran like a top. Since then I have bought 2 more Mazdas, a couple of Isuzus, a couple of VWs, a Honda, and a Mercedes.

Whenever I buy another car, I usually check out all the comparable models (including those from the Big 3), and in general I am under whelmed with the quality, performance, look or feel of the so-called “American made” cars.

I also travel a fair deal and 80% of the time when I rent a car, its one of the Big 3 – and I am always glad to know I did not get suckered into actually purchasing one.

Bought a new Honda Accord a few months ago. Built in Ohio, with approximately 70% American parts (only Transmission is from Japan). Also looked at Toyota (all Japanese). Really liked the GM cars, but resale value was a big consideration. The fact the Honda was built in the US with mostly US parts was a selling point for me. How many American vehicles are built in Mexico or Canada?

I was helping a computer-phobic friend do a little research on a recent car purchase. He'd always bought American, and was in the market for a larger mid-sized sedan -- in the class of the Accord, Camry, Ford Fusion and Hyundai Sonata. He ruled out the Chevy Malibu because he thought it drove like crap and the interior was all plastic.

I found an article somewhere comparing the Accord, Camry, Fusion and Sonata. Of those four, only the Ford Fusion was assembled outside the US (in Mexico). The Accord was built in Ohio, the Camry in Kentucky, and the Sonata in Alabama. He went with the Sonata (which is a surprisingly nice car with the V6, especially for the price and warranty). The Fusion was priced well, but he had heard of VW having many problems once they started assembling cars in Mexico, so he didn't want to go there.

I'm just scanning this thread and I haveyet to see anything about the big 3's benefits issues. I read a statistic awhile back that stated that for every GM employee, they have at least 5 more that are retired and are receiving full benefits. The costs involved in providing all these benefits is what is, in large part, eating into the profitibility of the US Auto industry.

I'm just scanning this thread and I haveyet to see anything about the big 3's benefits issues. I read a statistic awhile back that stated that for every GM employee, they have at least 5 more that are retired and are receiving full benefits. The costs involved in providing all these benefits is what is, in large part, eating into the profitibility of the US Auto industry.

Same applied to the airline industry.