[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kickball

darin3

I may have mentioned that I've been playing in a kickball league here in Austin. My wife had played one season in California, and found it to be a terrific way to meet new people, etc. So it was a foregone conclusion that we were playing once we got to Austin, seeing that we knew no one upon moving here.

Our first season was pretty fun, in spots. Like it's "adult league cousins" (softball, etc.), there are some that take it wayyyyyyyyyy too seriously. [Chiefjay disclaimer: I was actually in incredible shape and a pretty decent athlete in high school and college and I am now... let's just say... not so in shape, unless you consider "round" a good shape to be in] Anyways, the competitor in me is still alive and well, so I HATED getting waxed 22-0 every Thursday night. Add to it that it was a COLD winter here in Central Texas (one night it got down to about 28 degrees... that was crazy). It's co-ed, and even a few of the

guys on my team kick like chicks. I was one of a select few on our team that had any athletic skill whatsoever and heck, I'm coming off multiple surgeries over the past few years. Anyways, we had fun, as we got to know some cool people, and the after-game bar was always a fun time.

Fast forward to this summer, when it comes time for our second season. Turns out that our team made such an impression on the "higher-ups" of the kickball league, that they decided to start a second league for those that really didn't take it as seriously as some (there's actually one local team that is nationally-ranked.... yes, they have a nationwide tournament every year and put out rankings). We were all about the beer (bringing it to the field early, drinking while kicking, etc.) and just having fun. So now we're kicking off the second, more "relaxed" season... and we completely wax our first opponent 11-0. It was nice to be on the other side of the beating.

Fast forward yet again, after winning that first bout, we drop like 5 straight games. :wacko: I have discovered that I MUST be the pitcher. I don't trust anyone else to do it. Yes, it doesn't put me in a good position to field kicked balls, but I do what I can. I never have problems kicking... I have been playing soccer for 27 years.... so when I'm up, it's a hit.

So we get to the field this past Thursday night and find that our opponents only have six players (you're supposed to go out there with 11). So we're thinking this is gonna be a walk in the park. They only had 2 chicks on their team, and their 4 guys were actually semi-decent kickers.... so they were able to cycle through their lineup faster, which ended up being an advantage for them. They went up 2-0 in the first inning (error on right fielder started it off bad) and I didn't think anything of it.... with only 6 in the field, we'd be able to "kick it where they're not" and just play merry-go-round. Not so fast. I quickly find out that 11 on the field is probably overkill, as their six were plenty good to field most kicked balls. Ugh. We go down 4-0 after 2 (bad pitching by me) and carry that into the bottom of the fifth (and final) inning. My pitching got wicked... :D

We get a run in after one out. 4-1. We get one on, and then the chick ahead of me "bunts" and is able to waddle to first. Uh-oh, 2 on, down 3. I survey the field and realize the third baseman (who was playing kind of a third base / left field hybrid with the center fielder shading towards left) was playin

g way close to home... I think he thought I was going to try to bunt. Mistake. I cranked that bouncy red ball way over his head down the left field line, and that bad boy just kept going. And I ran. And ran. Mind you, there are two slow chicks in front of me. One girl gets home, the second chick FALLS AT THIRD BASE as I'm getting there. I implore "get up!!!" as if I pass her, I'm out. She gets up and we run home, me right after her with a bang-bang play at the plate, both safe! 4-4 beeyotches!

We ended up getting that last, winning run, which was also rather exciting (but I'm forgetting the specifics as I was high on my 3-run ding-dong).

Anyhoo, sorry to get all Blitz on y'all, but it's been a long time since I've had any sort of success in a competitive athletic venue (shaddup, kickball is a competitive athletic venue, dangit....). And, wanted to recommend kickball to anyone that has moved to a new city and wants to meet new people. They have a website: http://kickball.com

:brew:

P.S. You haters can save it... it's my birthday in a couple days, so give me some leeway. TIA. :D

Edit: Fixed website. :D

NTTAWWT

Soupy, how you faring this season? I think you said you just started a few weeks ago.

Well, by some stroke of luck, I ended up on the team widely known as the party team. It is also the longest running team in the area. So, the Pink Tacos :wacko: are more about not spilling their beer out on the field than being too competitive. With this being the case, I am going to try and sign a free agent that could really put this team over the top doing keg stands at second base. You may know him, a fellow Huddler by the name of Twiley.

Oh, and by the way, we are mid way through my second season and I am going to a pajama party where wherever you pass out, you sleep there! :wacko: Did I mention there are some hot chicks on this team...oh yeah.

:pantstight: