Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Neutron

Another chat about health care costs

My 12-year-old daugher had an appendectomy a few weeks ago. Everything went fine, her appendix did not burst. She did have to stay in the hospital for an extra few days because of a post-op fever. Cost? Just over $23k. $1000 for the surgery, $600 for anesthesia - the rest is for lab services and the hospital room. :D That's more than we were billed for the combined 4 births of our children.

I am the last one that'll ever suggest some form of socialized medicine, but there is clearly something wrong with the system as it exists today. I can't imagine being a family go through this relatively common procedure without health insurance. Our best friends are self employed and something like this would cripple them financially.

My 12-year-old daugher had an appendectomy a few weeks ago. Everything went fine, her appendix did not burst. She did have to stay in the hospital for an extra few days because of a post-op fever. Cost? Just over $23k. $1000 for the surgery, $600 for anesthesia - the rest is for lab services and the hospital room. :D That's more than we were billed for the combined 4 births of our children.

I am the last one that'll ever suggest some form of socialized medicine, but there is clearly something wrong with the system as it exists today. I can't imagine being a family go through this relatively common procedure without health insurance. Our best friends are self employed and something like this would cripple them financially.

Thank you Laura Bush

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I had my appendix out about ten years ago and I think the bill came out to around $3000. I didn't stay a night in the hospital though...

im self employed and insured, this wouldnt cripple me. do they have any insurance?

Edited by dmarc117

Bleeder. :highfive:

I have always pondered the argument that we pay higher health care prices in order to support the poor and destitute that use the Emergency Room as a primary care physician. If this is indeed true, isn't that already a form of socialized medicine? The tax is in our higher healthcare costs, isn't it? :D

I have always pondered the argument that we pay higher health care prices in order to support the poor and destitute that use the Emergency Room as a primary care physician. If this is indeed true, isn't that already a form of socialized medicine? The tax is in our higher healthcare costs, isn't it? :D

I've always been told that our system's willingness to saddle the consumer with high drug and health care costs is a key factor in the innovations that come through the pharmaceutical and health-care field.

Though I fail to see how hard-on pills and hair-cream are benefiting the general human condition.

2 months ago while in the er gettin some iv's due to a case of the jamaican sh!ts, i experienced this. there were 2 drug addicts coming down from a night of using. one was a white woman, the othe a black male. i was right around the corner from them and overheard their countless arguments and shoiting matched towards one another. the hospital had to have a security guard stand there just for them. the nurses and doctors knew these 2 by name and it was obvious this wasnt their 1st time in the er. the docs were very frustrated with the pair because of countless trips to break up a fight or shouting match. on one trip to break up an argument, the attending looked at me and said, "this is why you will be paying 2k for those iv bags."

Even if you are insured, serious illness can bankrupt you.

Though I fail to see how hard-on pills and hair-cream are benefiting the general human condition.

People are willing to give up other goods and services to get them, hence by a revealed preference argument, they are definitely benefiting the general human condition.

I am self employed an insured. Save your whine fest for someone else kommrad.

The healthcare system sucks in many ways, it is still the best in the world. Asking the gov't to take over is the worst thing that could ever be suggested. Actually, have the gov't curb the lawyers, and let small insurance company's get into the biz.

2 months ago while in the er gettin some iv's due to a case of the jamaican sh!ts, i experienced this. there were 2 drug addicts coming down from a night of using. one was a white woman, the othe a black male. i was right around the corner from them and overheard their countless arguments and shoiting matched towards one another. the hospital had to have a security guard stand there just for them. the nurses and doctors knew these 2 by name and it was obvious this wasnt their 1st time in the er. the docs were very frustrated with the pair because of countless trips to break up a fight or shouting match. on one trip to break up an argument, the attending looked at me and said, "this is why you will be paying 2k for those iv bags."

:D

yes, and that is a key reason why the bills are so high.

I've always been told that our system's willingness to saddle the consumer with high drug and health care costs is a key factor in the innovations that come through the pharmaceutical and health-care field.

People are willing to give up other goods and services to get them, hence by a revealed preference argument, they are definitely benefiting the general human condition.

not only that, but hard-on pills, and the american consumer's general willingness to pay a premium for premium drugs, are essentially bankrolling further R&D into new drugs for cancer, diabetes, biotics, etc.

After the Senate Finance Committee approved an expansion of the federal Children's Health Insurance Program to cover nearly 10 million kids, President Bush offered a strange rationale for threatening to veto it.

"People have access to health care in America," he told an audience in Cleveland. "After all, you just go to an emergency room."

:high five:

After the Senate Finance Committee approved an expansion of the federal Children's Health Insurance Program to cover nearly 10 million kids, President Bush offered a strange rationale for threatening to veto it.

"People have access to health care in America," he told an audience in Cleveland. "After all, you just go to an emergency room."

bush is a moran..., ooops is that offensive :D